Running Aqua Hot while driving

Twotoes

I have a Class A with Aqua Hot for heat. I know that in warm weather I can run my generator and roof top air conditioning while driving for comfort. Is there any reason that in cold weather I shouldn’t run my Aqua Hot with or without the generator?  

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Exactly! Why not?  There is no logical reason for not running the heating system anytime. Most installs include a heat exchanger to get heat from the engine cooling system and transfer the heat to the house heating system. 

Run the Aqua Hot when you want/need the heat regardless of driving or not.

Enjoy your heat as we have for 25 years.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Why would you run your generator to run the Aqua Hot? If the engine loop doesn't keep you warm enough (I have never had that happen) just turn on the burner.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Missed the generator part of the question.. Why? Do you know that the Aqua Hot system is relatively low power consumption?  I don't know your system but regardless you are probably using less than 12/15 amps at 12VDC. Therefore your alternator is working just a little more than without the system on.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Thanks guys for the info. I asked about running the genny because even tho the Aqua Hot runs on diesel I know the thermostat needs power. I figured that the batteries were enough and the alternator would be charging them too so no need for the genny, but thought I’d ask. Well I got to Omaha and man it’s cold. Running the heat 24/7. May snow tomorrow. Should have stayed in AZ one more week. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Or maybe two more weeks?    😁

Naw,  it’s getting too hot in AZ already. You’ve had a real cold winter down there in TX this year. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

52 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Naw,  it’s getting too hot in AZ already. You’ve had a real cold winter down there in TX this year. 

Actually, most of our winter was very mild with only a few nights below freezing up until Feb. 10, when we got the second longest period of below freezing temperatures ever recorded here. Most years the worst of winter is over by then and since that ended on Feb. 17 we have not been close to freezing. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Actually, most of our winter was very mild with only a few nights below freezing up until Feb. 10, when we got the second longest period of below freezing temperatures ever recorded here. Most years the worst of winter is over by then and since that ended on Feb. 17 we have not been close to freezing. 

Where are you? We have had a number of nights since then that the "official" reading was close to freezing and my thermometer read 32 or lower. Tonight there is a Freeze Watch in effect for the northwest part of the DFW area and Hard Freeze Warnings in the Panhandle. This has just been one strange winter that is not ready to give up quite yet.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

This has just been one strange winter that is not ready to give up quite yet.

I do agree with that part. We are in Mesquite, southeast part of the metroplex. The lowest our outdoor thermometer has recorded since that cold broke was 32°F and nothing close to that in the past month or 6 weeks. You folks on the west side have had more of the nasty stuff than we have lately. We did finally get about 1.5" of much needed rain last Friday. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI