Sooo, whats in a name?

chief916

Researching ion batteries.  It seems from what I can tell is that there are several companies that can be mistaken for each other.  Case in point...is i Renogy or is it Renology???  I'm looking at upgrading my batteries and  starting small with solar panels.  Talked to a young man on the phone yesterday from battleborne.  He said he would get back with me....so far... not heard back from him.  But would really like to know more info, especially if if its Renogy or Renology.

Tia Ben, chief916

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

It is Renogy.  I have two of their 100aH Lithium batteries in my fifth-wheel and they have worked well.  I purchased them during one of their frequent sales and paid $680 per battery 2 years ago. 

Did you use a solar panel to charge?  What have you been powering with the two bats and for how long.  I really appreciate your input.

3 hours ago, chief916 said:

But would really like to know more info, especially if if its Renogy or Renology.

It's Renogy. Renology was me mistyping. Sorry about that.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

25 minutes ago, chief916 said:

Did you use a solar panel to charge?  What have you been powering with the two bats and for how long.  I really appreciate your input.

We have 520 watts of panels.  We used the two Renogy batteries to replace the previous 4 golf cart batteries.  The Renogy batteries can be drawn down more deeply, but provide slightly less total usable capacity that the four lead acid batteries.  But, there was a tremendous reduction in weight (250 pounds vs. 52 pounds), less ongoing maintenance, and presumably longer life.  At a higher cost, of course. 

We are not long-term boondockers, but like having the solar/battery capacity for several days of boondocking, livability during power outages, etc. The 180 usable amp-hours of the batteries coupled with the solar allowed us to live comfortably and "normally" (meaning no real change in lifestyle) day-to-day. But details are important:  We have an RV fridge and use propane for it and heating water when boondocking. A residential fridge might require a different set-up.  

The only way to know what would work for your rig is to do an energy audit, look at how much solar you have, area of the country you'll be in (sunlight), etc. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

12 hours ago, chief916 said:

Researching ion batteries.  It seems from what I can tell is that there are several companies that can be mistaken for each other.  Case in point...is i Renogy or is it Renology???  I'm looking at upgrading my batteries and  starting small with solar panels.  Talked to a young man on the phone yesterday from battleborne.  He said he would get back with me....so far... not heard back from him.  But would really like to know more info, especially if if its Renogy or Renology.

Tia Ben, chief916

If you have some specific questions, I’d be happy to help.  I have been lecturing on the subject for years at rallies and have designed and built a number of different systems.  It really all comes down to what you want to power and for how long.  Then that pesky budget comes into play.  😉

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

13 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

If you have some specific questions, I’d be happy to help.  I have been lecturing on the subject for years at rallies and have designed and built a number of different systems.  It really all comes down to what you want to power and for how long.  Then that pesky budget comes into play.  😉

Chad.... I think I sent you a PM.

36 minutes ago, chief916 said:

Chad.... I think I sent you a PM.

Yes, I got it and just replied.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Look for sales on Battleborn.  We bought ours during 20%off xmas sale and got six for only $4840 or $806 per battery. Had them shipped to a friends house in OR, so no sales tax, which helped with the low total.  We're loving their performance and quick charging ability!  Here's a link to facebook with photos of the install:  Battleborn Install

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

13 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

Look for sales on Battleborn.  We bought ours during 20%off xmas sale and got six for only $4840 or $806 per battery. Had them shipped to a friends house in OR, so no sales tax, which helped with the low total.  We're loving their performance and quick charging ability!  Here's a link to facebook with photos of the install:  Battleborn Install

Thank you Sir for your input. I will check this out.

There a good resource on YouTube... Will Prouse. He buys lots of different brands, tests them then tears them apart. He also tests the other components in a solar system.  Pretty straight ahead guy with lots of knowledge.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

16 hours ago, trimster said:

There a good resource on YouTube... Will Prouse. He buys lots of different brands, tests them then tears them apart. He also tests the other components in a solar system.  Pretty straight ahead guy with lots of knowledge.

Ok Thanks.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:29 PM, trimster said:

Thanks Trimester,. Found him,  So much info.  I'm so glad that they have this know how. Kinda neat that he takes them apart.  Tried to purchase a charger that he recommended but nothing in stock everywhere we looked. Obviously there's a huge interest in this technology.

chief - I am a self proclaimed 'lectric dummy - ask Chad and JohnT - but annyways I know you can stick weld mild steel with the amps and volts available in a single group 27 12v battery if the wire is big enough... 

Reliable good quality fuses are the key to a good night's sleep 🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 4/18/2021 at 9:55 AM, noteven said:

chief - I am a self proclaimed 'lectric dummy - ask Chad and JohnT - but annyways I know you can stick weld mild steel with the amps and volts available in a single group 27 12v battery if the wire is big enough... 

Reliable good quality fuses are the key to a good night's sleep 🤣

I believe you,. I almost lost my Volvo a couple of years back because of no fuses on the wires hooked up on a inverter.  I didn't install it, it was in the cab when I bought the truck. I knew nothing about that stuff.  There was a little metal brass air blower that used to blow dirt out to clean the truck and it somehow got fouled up on the lug wires of the inverter.  It was night time and on a 2-lane country road. Heard some sizzling and something smelled bad. Checked my mirrors, saw flames shooting out of my battery box.  Needless to say, just like John Boy and Billy.....it was a sphencter tightening episode.  Got it put out thankfully but the wires were toast. Yessir no fuses. Getting ready to install another inverter but with good fuses.