How do I Wax, Polish and Buff the top of the sleeper on a 780?

Vegas Teacher

Manlift is kind of a bit annoying cuz you have to lay on your belly in the basket to get enough steady pressure on the buffer.  You end up with your legs bent up all backwards and the lip at the entry right up under your armpits.  Then the basket gets to shaking and weaving and tries to hit the truck you just buffed.  You have to get the basket right up in there.  Scaffolding works, but anchor it really well cuz you'll be putting a lot of sideways pressure on it with your feet when between levels.  Nothing about it is fun!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 2:50 PM, Dbl0svn said:

I made a long reach buffer out of an electric weed Wacker that has an adjustable head and extendable arm.  Works great for claying and buffing my truck roof.

Got a pic or demo of it?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

10 minutes ago, Dbl0svn said:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/XeqWHHVl.jpg[/IMG]

Here you go.  I have the synthetic clay pad on it in the pic.

If you take your link, strip off the [IMG] front and back, you can then use the Other Media button to insert the link you have remaining. JayXeqWHHVl.jpg

47 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

That is pretty ingenious!!! 

Thanks.  It extends out to about double that length and the head pivots up and down so that you can get the correct angle.  I use it all of the time.  Mostly with the clay pad now since I keep using a ceramic spray every 6 mos-year. 

1 hour ago, Dbl0svn said:

Thanks.  It extends out to about double that length and the head pivots up and down so that you can get the correct angle.  I use it all of the time.  Mostly with the clay pad now since I keep using a ceramic spray every 6 mos-year. 

That ceramic spray is incredible stuff. I wish I would have had it as a college kid detailing cars to pay my tuition back in Kansas.

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 4:38 PM, usbusin said:

Are these true Little Giant or are they knock-offs?

Little Giant at Lowes

I'm hoping they are the real thing. Sure seemed like it when I bought it used from Craigs list. Guy said he bought it at Lowes, but never used it. 

I used it last weekend and was very happy I replaced my prior quad fold ladder. Sure I could do the same thing with the quad, but it took forever to get it folded or unfolded they way it needed to be. The Little Giant releases work very well and finding the correct height took very little time. The "Stabilizer extensions" worked great on uneven ground. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

5c5ugB7l.jpgSo this is how I work on the side of our truck. Waxing, painting or mechanical stuff.

Just need to have everything solid on the ground. Good balance and make sure you have all your supplies where you can get them without making many trips up and down the ladder.

Sometimes I will set the plank on the head of the engine and then over to a ladder. That way you can wax the front of the cab from a level place.

Then climb up over the back some how and wax your way backwards over the cab. My first time I wax a truck cab I started at the back. Then climb up on and worked my way forwards. Dam near went completely forwards out over the hood and onto the ground.

Stay Safe ,    Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr