Escapees RV Parks, Inc. - A New Option for Bringing in More Parking for RVers

Escapees RV Parks: Welcome Home!

For years, Escapees members have asked about adding more SKP Co-Ops and traditional RV parks to our park options. And for years, we've listened to your requests while researching ways to make that happen.

Escapees RV Parks and SKP Co-Ops are special. Member-owned and operated SKP Co-Op parks work hard to create a welcoming environment for both lot-owning members and those just passing through, where they can enjoy time together while resting from travels. Rainbow Parks (now referred to as Escapees RV Parks) offer comfort and comradery at an affordable price, thanks to generations of Escapees who came before and volunteered their time to build these parks for fellow members. Building more parks like these has been cost and time prohibitive to meet the growing demand.

This is why we are SO excited to share with you a solution that creates opportunities for more parks that encompass both the values and quality of Escapees RV Club while offering comfortable accommodations for RV enthusiasts. How do we plan to do this? By working with new and established RV parks through our new franchise program!

Escapees RV Parks will expand the parking options for members faster than we could on our own. All future parks will embody all you expect from our own Escapees RV Parks and continue the sense of community that all our parks hold. And now, when you or other members come to us wanting to run your own Escapees RV Park, we have a way to do it! What could be better than a fellow member welcoming you into their own Escapees RV Park?

After 30 years of successfully running our own RV park system, we look forward to sharing our processes and values with more RV parks. The expansion of Escapees RV Parks will continue to promote the Escapees’ culture and community while providing more parking options for members. We can’t wait to welcome you home.

To learn more about establishing Escapees RV Parks, Inc, please read our latest blog post The Creation of Escapees RV Parks: A New Phase of Our Park System - https://www.escapees.com/escapees-rv-parks-new-phase/

To learn more about becoming a franchisee, go to franchise.escapeesrvparks.com.

(This is not an offering. An offering can be made by prospectus/Franchise Disclosure Document only. Franchises are not being offered to residents of, or for locations in, states where we do not have an effective franchise registration on file. Escapees RV Parks, Inc., 100 Rainbow Drive, Livingston, Texas 77351)

• Jeannie Dees changed the title to Escapees RV Parks, Inc. - A New Option for Bringing in More Parking for RVers

This might be good for the man who posted last year about buying a small RV park in a small KS city. He was asking how to do it and no-one had the right answers.

BTW, my virus checker and Windows 10 website security does not identify that website linked to as problematic. The problem was the address began with http:// instead of https://.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I saw this an hour or so ago, too. It may be an interesting concept IF it is done correctly. That means some absolute national standards that are high enough to keep the junk parks out of the system.

Personally, I'd like to see the parks all have 50A FHU sites that are concrete that is thick enough to take the heaviest RV made plus a tow vehicle/towed that is also quite heavy. The pad should be long enough for everything to easily park on it without being anywhere close to the street. Sites should be far enough apart that you will get a bit of exercise going from your door to your neighbor's door.

I don't care if there is a swimming pool, tennis court, or other "amenities." I do care that the site is level and reasonably smooth.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

What I want is full hook ups, stable 50 amp power, nice dog park, sites that are long enough for the rig, sites wide enough that you are not sitting on the neighbors sewer hook up, decent WiFi or good cell service, nice level pads, sites that do not pool water,  and decent roads in and out.  I do not need, pool, spa, tennis courts.  Others will want a decent laundry room, but we have our own washer/drier.

We also enjoyed  a daily get together just to visit with folks.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Naturally, I don't know what the new 'franchise' system entails but previously there was talk of RVers getting together to buy a RV park on their own.  You'd have to have some big bucks to do this nowadays!

https://tucson.com/business/tucson-real-estate-popular-rv-park-sells-to-phoenix-investors/article_c592d2aa-9ba6-11eb-86f9-9bc2d4631675.html

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I think this is a great idea. I would also like big rig sites, 50 Amp, level sites but a pool would be an additional benefit to me. I am handicapped and use the pool to exercise. It may cost a little more but it is worth it to me. Not every park needs to have a pool and if you are not looking for one just go to another park. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 4/13/2021 at 8:58 PM, kb0zke said:

I saw this an hour or so ago, too. It may be an interesting concept IF it is done correctly. That means some absolute national standards that are high enough to keep the junk parks out of the system.

Yes, and they should continue to hang on to the Escapees Park in Pecos, TX to hold up as a shining example of what a park should not be. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 8 months later...

Anything new to report on this new Escapee project? 

With so many people looking at buying their own lots with the shortage of available reservations at campgrounds, I have heard talk in one of the facebook group of trying to put together a network where people that have lots exchanging lots among themselves to enhance travel.  Although lots are hard to find as well to purchase.

I would have loved to see this as an option among Coop parks but I know these are individual parks and not a network to exchange from one leaseholder in one park to another park although people do put their lots in a rental pool.

3 hours ago, trostberg said:

I would have loved to see this as an option among Coop parks but I know these are individual parks and not a network to exchange from one leaseholder in one park to another park although people do put their lots in a rental pool

The Petersons stopped sponsoring the co-op parks for many reasons but legal issues were a large part of the decision. From that they went into Rainbow Parks, starting with Rainbow's End and then Rainbow Plantation and 6 others. Probably because of the very large outlay involved in developing an RV park today, they now have a new park franchise system available but as far as I know there have been none yet and who knows if any are in the process? Even though Escapees no longer helps to get co-op parks started, there is really nothing to prevent someone else from putting one together but it takes a lot of funding and commitment. I am only aware of one other co-op park outside of the Escapee system, and we used to own a lot in it. It is different from the Escapee concept in that they do allow small homes as well as RVs and they are slightly different in structure but they did use the SKP co-op as a model and even got information from some of those parks. It was developed before we bought out place there as we were second owners but I knew several of the organizers and that was done by a group of SKP members back about 2000. 

On 4/16/2021 at 6:23 AM, Chalkie said:

they should continue to hang on to the Escapees Park in Pecos, TX to hold up as a shining example of what a park should not be. 

While I have not been there recently, there are numerous reports on the Escapee Facebook site of people who visit now and think very highly of it. It spent a period of time as semi-permanent sites for oil & gas workers but they report that it has been upgraded and is back to being mostly traveling Escapees again.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Even though Escapees no longer helps to get co-op parks started, there is really nothing to prevent someone else from putting one together but it takes a lot of funding and commitment. 

The land exchange that I keep hearing about is less of an organized campground and more acreage that the landowner decides to put in electric or other amenities themselves with no HOA restrictions.  Tennessee Land and Lakes is one example.   

8 hours ago, trostberg said:

Tennessee Land and Lakes is one example.   

If you mean this Tennessee Land company, they are just a real estate company that specializes in undeveloped land sales. 

Absolutely, First priority have good sites, level, wide, deep, good base material, at least 50 amp power and water conveniently placed, sewer would be great and all well maintained. If a power plug is broken REPLACE it! Keep the trees away from the campsites! Don't stack RVers next to each other like cordwood!

Second is amenities, a laundry is very nice, but not everybody utilizes a pickle ball court or pool but if a park wants to call themselves a resort or get away these are good but don't have a huge mark up on the price. WiFi and cable connections are great but not essential for us, most RVers have their own capabilities anyway. Escapee's has to have high standards for participation and shouldn't compromise on their standards but also at a reasonable site price, don't just add parks for the sake of adding more to the list.

Also we do not like parks that raise the price for weekends, holidays and such - that is just gouging people!

Escapee's has 19 parks between Co-Ops (a lot of them out west) and Escapee's parks scattered around. That's a good start and it would be nice to have more, but franchising for park owners has to also be reasonable for them, we have read other comments about KOA and their parks. 

There is a very nice RV Park in LaGrange Texas, Colorado Landing, right on HWY 71, a very nice place that would be perfect for an Escapee's park. Not too far to go for Austin, San Antonio or Houston day trips.

Edited by Steven@146

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If you mean this Tennessee Land company, they are just a real estate company that specializes in undeveloped land sales. 

There's a new tiny home community in Tennessee that looks a lot like an RV park. The owner is expanding as fast as he can because of the demand. https://www.aconybellnc.com

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

RVers are buying land like this and then putting in basic services to share among other RVers and possible trading with other land owners in other places like this.https://rvlifestyle.com/own-rv-land/#Now_that_we_own_RV_Land_heres_how_we_plan_to_use_it

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

There's a new tiny home community in Tennessee that looks a lot like an RV park.

That looks really interesting but they sure don't share much information on the website. No hint on prices but it must be competitive as they wouldn't be full if that were not the case. I had read there are those springing up, but that is the first I've ever looked at. It doesn't appear that they would let an RV in, other than the park model type.

3 hours ago, trostberg said:

RVers are buying land like this and then putting in basic services to share among other RVers and possible trading with other land owners in other places like

At least that one is. Makes me think that they may have found a way to pay for the site from the pockets of their visitors. Kind of like an RV park. His is clearly an income generating website, which is not a bad thing but I don't see a lot that is new. It will be interesting to see what happens. Are there others like this that you are aware of?

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

That looks really interesting but they sure don't share much information on the website. No hint on prices but it must be competitive as they wouldn't be full if that were not the case. I had read there are those springing up, but that is the first I've ever looked at. It doesn't appear that they would let an RV in, other than the park model type.

More details here: 

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Another one: https://tinyhousegiantjourney.com/2020/07/02/coastal-tiny-house-community/

I'm posting these as samples of places where zoning laws don't prohibit unique housing.

Linda

22 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The Petersons stopped sponsoring the co-op parks for many reasons but legal issues were a large part of the decision.'''''''''''''''''''''''''''

As a leaseholder in a Co-op I really don't understand why the Co-ops do NOT cut their ties with the Petersons.  

I understand the history, but the legal issues can easily bring down a co-op.  There is a fundamental difference between a for profit outfit and a Co-op.  

Nothing wrong with either set up, but the objectives of those two legal entities is fundamentally different.

To give you an example, some folks remember WHOOPS in Washington state. 

The Public Utility District in my county REFUSED to join WHOOPS.  It was the ONLY one in Washington state. 

When WHOOPS went bankrupt and the bondholders sued a JUDGE ruled that since the County was a member of an organization of Public Utility Districts in Washington state AND that organization endorsed WHOOPS....... my county PUD was LIABLE because they were members of an organization of Public Utility Districts.

I can give other examples, but the bottom line is WHY are the Co-op Parks still affiliated with Escapees in ANY manner.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

At least that one is. Makes me think that they may have found a way to pay for the site from the pockets of their visitors. Kind of like an RV park. His is clearly an income generating website, which is not a bad thing but I don't see a lot that is new. It will be interesting to see what happens. Are there others like this that you are aware of?

I have heard of people looking at land like this in other states that are getting bought up quickly and something about multiple sites along an I75 corridor but do not know any names.  

What we are seeing with some of the newer parks coming on line is that they soon find it more profitable to cater to the long-term permanent residents than the true RV community of full-timers.  One nice RV park we have used for several years during the winter has added "resort" to their name and it is nowhere near a resort, the rules are not as well enforced, and it has become a "trailer park" and not a RV park.  I doubt if we will be back there.

If they want to cater to the permanent crowd, let them equally enfoce all of the rules to keep the place looking nice.

Ken 

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

The fact that there are numerous companies making a success of building the "tiny homes" that do not qualify as RVs under the HUD rules, as park models do, leads me to believe that there are places one can put one in most states. Last summer we spent about a week in an RV park on the west side of Loveland, CO which we had stayed in about 15 years ago and it has set off a large section for extended stay folks and there were at least a half dozen of the tiny homes in that area. There is clearly a solid market for them and also a need. Having done some house looking not that long ago, I know that very few housing developers are building what I would call, modest homes. It used to be that the typical 3 bedroom home build for a family was around 1200 sq/ft but it is nearly impossible to find anything under 2000 sq/ft in most areas of homes that have been built in the past 20 years. We looked at a major senior developer's community recently that the minimum home sizer there was 2400 sq/ft. 

Looking at the regulations, HUD seems to define the tiny home somewhat differently than the mobile or manufactured home, but many of the regulations are the same or similar. Park models are not subject to HUD regulations so long as they do not exceed 400 sq/ft. If you are interested, I found an article on tiny homes that is quite helpful.

STATE-BY-STATE TINY HOME REGULATIONS EXPLAINED

According to another article that I found, some 26 states do allow them as living quarters.

The owner of the U-tube channel to which I linked had her tiny home built to RVIA standards and she towed it around the country (and Canada) for a few years before parking it. She and her family now live in a small home and she rents out her tiny home as a vacation home.

Linda