DICOR turning black from collecting dirt

Needing to fix my EPDM roof.  I've used DICOR self-leveling in the past, but would like to find something else.  I've talked with DICOR and they admit their sealant has a problem with collecting dirt over time, and thus turning black. I have used elastomeric on the roof of a mobile home, but have heard it does not work on EPDM roofs.

Does anyone know of a sealant other than dicor which would do the job, and not collect dirt and turn black?

Edited by gypsydan
didn't do research first

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

• gypsydan changed the title to DICOR turning black from collecting dirt
1 hour ago, gypsydan said:

...DICOR and they admit their sealant has a problem with collecting dirt over time, and thus turning black....

It definitely gets dirty, but is super easy to clean, in my opinion.  (Not counting having to actually GO up on the roof; that's the hard part!)  But a little mineral spirits cleans it right up.  I had to remove some Dicor to re-run an antenna wire.  While I was up there, I cleaned several spots that were starting to show its age.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

Pretty well anything up top my RV gathers dirt REGARDLESS of the material grrrrrrrrrrrr I have used Dicor up top, like it and it performs great, as well as Eternabond Tape which, along with the rubber roof, all still gets dirty. HOWEVER I will say the Eternabond Tape being slicker and smoother and even is easier to clean then the Dicor.

PS I used Dicor like around roof top vents but Eternabond Tape for say longer cracks or tears but anything up top of course gets dirty grrrrrrrrrrrr 

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

Dicor, Eternabond, any caulk/sealant will collect dirt which in turn mildews/molds. I ALWAYS add 2-3oz bleach to my 5G pail of soapy water to wash the entire RV. This mixture safely cleans the complete exterior, including awnings of dirt and mildew/mold while leaving a clean shiny surface without any negative effects.

I've only been using that mixture since 1996 though so use it at your RV's own risk.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Dicor, Eternabond, any caulk/sealant will collect dirt which in turn mildews/molds. I ALWAYS add 2-3oz bleach to my 5G pail of soapy water to wash the entire RV. This mixture safely cleans the complete exterior, including awnings of dirt and mildew/mold while leaving a clean shiny surface without any negative effects.

I've only been using that mixture since 1996 though so use it at your RV's own risk.

Bleach can strip off wax,polish and other protective coatings so be careful. left to dry on the sides, the streaks can be almost impossible to remove. Using bleach as a cleaning agent on paint or fiberglass will require a second set of hands continuously rinsing adjacent areas. Chuck 

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

11 hours ago, chuckbear said:

Bleach can strip off wax,polish and other protective coatings so be careful. left to dry on the sides, the streaks can be almost impossible to remove. Using bleach as a cleaning agent on paint or fiberglass will require a second set of hands continuously rinsing adjacent areas. Chuck 

Thanks for your concern, however I've been using this solution for about 37 years without any surface or fabric damage of any kind. I'm not forcing anyone to do as I, just offering a suggestion aa requested.Prior to posting did you calculate out the  percentage of 3oz.,  5.25% bleach in 5G of water?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I just use plain water through our 1600 PSI power washer which does a good of cleaning our TPO roof and a replaced EDPM slideout roof. Contrary to popular concerns, the flexible roofing will just flex and not tear when being cleaned with a power washer. With plain water, there are no streaks on the siding.