USPS and mail forwarding

33 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I've found Amazon's lockers to be a good alternative

I have never used them and so am wondering how that works? Do you get an email when the package is in the locker that tells you how to retrieve it? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Kirk W said:

I have never used them and so am wondering how that works? Do you get an email when the package is in the locker that tells you how to retrieve it? 

Yes, you receive a notice with instructions and a code to enter on a screen to open the designated locker. The lockers can also be used for returns. There are different size lockers depending on your package size, and there are size/weight limitations on items you can order. So don't expect to get that new refrigerator from a locker... ;)

https://www.amazon.com/primeinsider/tips/amazon-locker-qa.html

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

15 hours ago, bigjim said:

Sounds like you have not heard of "the last mile" delivery deal a lot shippers have with the USPS.

Oh I've heard of it, experienced it many times, I just don't understand it or have any control of it.  What's very strange is how 'last mile' large boxes will end up at the post office, but small boxes will be delivered to my house by UPS or FedEx. It makes no sense, at least in my area.

I checked this am and my packages are 'out for delivery' and not being forwarded, so that's taken care of.  I may, next season, just put my mail on hold.  Probably less stress that way.

EDIT: Just checked status.  Says they went "out for delivery" at 6:10am.  LOL.  The post office doesn't deliver that early.  And then it says "Delivery failed."  What does that mean? So, now what, another fun day dealing with the post office??? 

Edited by hemsteadc

27 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Btw just looked at your profile and noticed your interest.  I must be driving you crazy almost as much as the post office.😀

Nah, not you. I've learned to be a little more creative and subtle with my 'correction', because I usually just end up making enemies. 

Sooo... in a further update, the Delivery Attempt failed because the "mailbox was full."  That's interesting.  I checked it yesterday and there wasn't a thing in it.  They're open from 10 to 1pm today, so I'll wait awhile for the packages to return to the office and then go and  hopefully get them.  Or, perhaps they really did "deliver" them by leaving a slip of paper in the box saying to go to the post office.

This 'last mile' crap drives me nuts.  My house is maybe a quarter mile from the mailbox.  No, they couldn't simply drive to my house and leave it.  No.  That would be too efficient, and I'm sure the carrier would get fired for doing that.

Edited by hemsteadc

If only they had a rubber hammer to damage and anvil they could do it.  Like my meds. situation.  Last mile would have worked but just the wrong person at the wrong spot caused a problem.  I know they had a new driver on the route that knew what to do but somebody at the next level wouldn't let it get to him.  If you are dealing with a reliable local PO you might try using the actual street address of the PO.--

Post Master

120 Dingle dr

City.  state  zip

and pre notify the PO to watch for it.     All depends on your PO and their employees.

I had a gas can delivered to my house yesterday by UPS, no problem.  Not an Amazon order.  Perhaps Jeff doesn't have a trillion dollars yet so he's having UPS contract out to the post office to save a dollar on the delivery. 

It occurs to me I may be able to get around this nonsense by ordering from somewhere else.. but then I'd be waiting longer for the item to actually ship.  That's how it usually goes.

Edited by hemsteadc

16 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Yeah right. !!!!!!!! I hope you aren't holding your breath.

Even a rich company like Amazon hires know-nothing chat clerks who are paid to listen, not understand the problem, assure you it won't happen again, and say your complaint will be passed up the chain.

Edited by hemsteadc

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Instead of doing a 'chat' on Amazon, give the customer service # a call.

I did. That was almost worse.  The man was obviously of Indian descent with a heavy accent, hard to understand, and put me on hold for over 3 minutes.  I hung up.

On 4/9/2021 at 8:11 AM, bigjim said:

Are you using escapees forwarding.   I was about to ask if it is eligible  and would it just show what we receive at our escapees address.  Still would be useful.

I don't believe mail forwarding services are eligible for Informed Delivery, but don't know this for a fact.  You can always go to the USPS's Informed Delivery and enter your address to check.

However, the Escapees mail service does have a level of service where they send you an email with scans of the mail you've received.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Yes I have used Amazon lockers several times for small packages only and worked very well with fast service.  The one I used is at nearby Whole Foods market.  They send you email with code number you type in on the key paid or can scan the code with your smartphone to open the locker and BANG it flies open fast.  There is a weight and size limitation.  You must pick up item within three days.  At time of order for shipping address you select which locker location to use near you from a drop down menu.  I also have packages delivered to nearby UPS Store for free but the locker is closer to my digs.  Cheers to all.

CWO Bill Perkins Civilian & Army Guard Pilot to Two Texas Governors

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

Hazr4g3m.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

I just want to see what is coming as that would be useful enough in most cases.

That is what "Informed Delivery" does. You get an image of the front of most envelopes as well as a list of packages about to be delivered. While items of special handling do not get scanned, nearly all of that is trash mail, in my experience. 

1. Go to informeddelivery.usps.com.
  2. Select “Sign Up For Free.”
  3. Enter your address to determine if it is eligible for Informed Delivery.
    1. If your address is not eligible, you may still create an account so you may use USPS Click-N-Ship® or Postal Store by following the prompts.
  4. If your address is eligible, login to your usps.com account and skip to step 5 below. If you do not have a usps.com account, create one and then follow steps 4a-4d.
    1. After you create your usps.com account, select “Informed Delivery” in the top right of your profile page.
    2. Select “Enroll” and scroll down to the Informed Delivery box under “Account Management”. Click the box to expand it.
    3. Select the appropriate boxes to agree to the terms and conditions and certify your address, then select “Enroll in Informed Delivery” to continue.
    4. Complete the identity verification questions
  5. Opt-in to Informed Delivery by selecting “Enroll” and fill out your username, password, security questions, and contact information to create your profile.
  6. Complete the identity verification process (if you have not already done so when setting up your usps.com account).
  7. You should begin receiving notifications within a week.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

Maybe I don't understand this yet.  I don't need to see what the mail says. I just want to see what is coming as that would be useful enough in most cases.  I think I will check into it further. Thanks

That's what the higher level of Escapees mail service does (Categories B & C) -- scans the outside of the mail you receive and then you can log into a secure website to view what you've received.  It does, however, cost an additional $10 per month for this service over and above the cost of the mail service itself.

Escapees Mail Forwarding Service Categories and Rates · Escapees RV Club

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I think I'm going to have to write a paper letter to Amazon to get through to anyone.  I'm hoping I can find an online site that does this, since I would have to hunt for paper and envelopes.  I do have stamps from the 90s.

I still think calling customer service is the best way.  Paper 'tends' to get lost.  We recently got an issue solved fast and easy by calling.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 4/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, pjstough said:

The guy at the counter is misinformed or ill informed.  We put in a temporary forward for the winter, and because we are going home a little earlier than the end date on the forward, I changed the end date, and I fully expect that I wont have to do anything else to see my temporary forward end on the date specified, and delivery resumed to our residence.  I will let you know how things go.

Today was the day our temporary forward ended after I had changed the end date last week, and today we had mail in the box just as I expected without us having to contact the local USPS office.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

On 4/9/2021 at 12:46 PM, hemsteadc said:

I can't count the number of times my mail has ended up in someone's else's mailbox.  I can count the number of times my email has been misdirected: ZERO.   I get a kick out of medical billing where they claim (or used to ) that email is not "secure."  I beg to differ.

I corrected my USPS rural route delivery problem, leastways for now. I called USPS customer service  manager and left a msg. The reply said she would either return my call or email me at my request. I emailed her my problem 2 weeks ago. Last Thursday I received a snail mail letter from her office outlining the steps taken to correct my problem

My local PO has been screwed up ever since the last postmistress retired and the new postmistress replaced every route carrier.(rural carriers are actually contract workers-self employed)

That appears to have ended my rural route delivery problems, as the CS letter stated my local post office would be contacted and required to submit a solution to solve my problem.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 4/11/2021 at 1:42 PM, 2gypsies said:

I still think calling customer service is the best way.  Paper 'tends' to get lost.  We recently got an issue solved fast and easy by calling.

Looks like you were right. 

After venting some frustrations at the phone clerk, she got on the horn to MY local post office (like I thought that would do any good)  and lo and behold got a usps carrier on the phone and arranged to have them deliver my latest, big, heavy package to my house after it had, as usual, gone back to the post office because it wouldn't fit in the package box at my mail stand.   I was completely shocked - I had no idea you could do that since there is no household delivery in my area.

Amazon also pointed out that, although I can't specify which carrier, I can add delivery instructions at order time like "leave at my back porch please."  I'll try this next time and hope she's right.  I don't want to have to make phone calls every time Amazon sticks the post office with a big package.

I was really hoping to get A to stop farming out big stuff to the post office, but, we'll see if this works instead.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nice try amazon, but this is not working.

Edited by hemsteadc

TTB SSAT MEACAROT

For over twenty years at least I have had absolutely excellent service from Amazon, UPS and UPS stores, Fed Ex and yes even the USPS for both mail and package deliveries in at least two different states.  When overseas for 12 years I used DHL and USPS.   I carefully plan ahead and set things up before hand. I must be doing something wrong.  Maybe born lucky???    Cheers to some. 

William Perkins | Facebook

Edited by NamMedevac 70

On 4/13/2021 at 7:08 PM, Ray,IN said:

I corrected my USPS rural route delivery problem, leastways for now. I called USPS customer service  manager and left a msg. The reply said she would either return my call or email me at my request. I emailed her my problem 2 weeks ago. Last Thursday I received a snail mail letter from her office outlining the steps taken to correct my problem

My local PO has been screwed up ever since the last postmistress retired and the new postmistress replaced every route carrier.(rural carriers are actually contract workers-self employed)

That appears to have ended my rural route delivery problems, as the CS letter stated my local post office would be contacted and required to submit a solution to solve my problem.

I had a problem where if it didn't fit in the box they would take it back to PO instead of driving a 1/4 mile up our drive.  Emailed CS about it and now it comes to the door.  Now if I could keep my parcels from going through main Denver PO.  Just  had them track another package to Denver on the way to rural CO only to never leave Denver or to be seen again.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift