USPS and mail forwarding

Last October I went online and had my mail forwarded to So Cal from my home in New Mexico. That is a *temporary* change for 6 months. Upon arrival at home this week I checked my rural mailbox and inside it was a sticker that said "Forwarding expires 3/31/21".  That's all well and good, but just to make sure I stopped in at the local Post office to see if they'd held any mail, and if everything was OK for my mail to resume delivery here at home.  Not quite.

The guy at the counter told me I was supposed to go online and make my "New" address my home, and my "old" address the previously mentioned temporary forwarding address.

That makes no sense. Of course it wouldn't be the first time the USPS made no sense.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy at the counter is misinformed or ill informed.  We put in a temporary forward for the winter, and because we are going home a little earlier than the end date on the forward, I changed the end date, and I fully expect that I wont have to do anything else to see my temporary forward end on the date specified, and delivery resumed to our residence.  I will let you know how things go.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

16 minutes ago, pjstough said:

Yes, if you made a permanent change of address, he would be correct

I didn't. As I said, there was a sticker in the box. I get virtually nothing of value in the paper mail anyway, so I'm not going to do anything.

Edited by hemsteadc

Every spring I do a temporary change of address to Escapees when we leave Mesa and say that it is for Six Months.   Because this is a  snowbird area, when we come back  in the fall there is a green card in our mailbox to fill out telling them who is in the site, sign and date it and the advertisements start usually the next day.    Actually, the green card is placed in the box the day after our 'stop' day - which is usually a couple of days before we leave. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I didn't. As I said, there was a sticker in the box. I get virtually nothing of value in the paper mail anyway, so I'm not going to do anything.

The local PO's have little to do with forwarding anymore. It's all pretty much handled at the regional sorting centers level now. Even local to local gets processed through the sorting center many times. That's where those computer generated yellow labels get slapped on.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

In addition the USPS informed mail emails are inaccurate, not everything is scanned into their computers; shoot I even get one on Sunday and holidays.

Dutch is right, local PO's now have little say unless you are friends with the postmaster/mistress.

If the USPS does eliminate more smaller post office's that will affect general delivery options.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

In addition the USPS informed mail emails are inaccurate, not everything is scanned into their computers;

It will show all of the letter size pieces that were automatically photographed by equipment that sorts mail by route and by delivery sequence. Often you will receive additional mail that was manually sorted to your address well after the automated process was completed.

I have found that it does show nearly all mail and most that is not shown is trash. While it doesn't show packages, it does give delivery information on them. I have used it now for about 5 years and in that time the accuracy and amount of information has steadily improved. For a service that is completely free, it is an excellent source of information. One can always criticise anything and the USPS seems to have become a popular target, probably because it is politically safe. Since all one needs do is to go to the USPS website and sign up for the free service, why would you not do so?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We always have our mail forwarded on a temporary basis when we head south for the winter.  When it's time to return home, I cancel the forwarding and then have our mail held.  If I know when we'll be returning, I give instructions to have the held mail delivered on a certain day; otherwise, I check the box that says I'll pick it up at the post office.  

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

USPS Shutting Down Informed Delivery App This Summer - the text:

In a bit of sad, yet unsurprising news, USPS announced this week that it’s shutting down its Informed Delivery apps for Android and iOS. I’m not sure if I should be blaming Postmaster General DeJoy for this, but he seems to be the main reason USPS sucks right now, so yeah, I’m just gonna blame him for it. Be better, DeJoy.

If you aren’t signed up for Informed Delivery, you’re doing mail wrong. Each morning, USPS sends you an email or notification about what pieces of mail will be in your box that day. The post office literally scans your incoming mail and sends you a photo. It’s so clutch — it’s how I knew I had a speeding ticket in the mail and I was able to rage about it on Twitter.

Seriously, Informed Delivery is awesome. Sign up for it because the email service will continue to operate. It’s free. USPS says the shutdown is happening this summer, but rest assured, they confirm that users will still be able to receive Informed Delivery via the USPS Mobile app.

RIP, dedicated Informed Delivery app.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

8 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

Seriously, Informed Delivery is awesome. Sign up for it because the email service will continue to operate. It’s free.

Dang.. my address is not eligible.  That figures..why make my life easier?   Oh well, thanks!

What I just hate is when the local taxing authority doesn't send email notices for things like property taxes when I've signed up for that.  Some businesses, especially government, insist (and exist) on paper, like medical bills.  ARGGHH!  I wish these businesses would enter the 21st century.

Edited by hemsteadc

From several years of poor to really poor service from USPS, I do not trust much of anything to the USPS.  Fed-EX and UPS do an outstanding job.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

From several years of poor to really poor service from USPS, I do not trust much of anything to the USPS.  Fed-EX and UPS do an outstanding job.

I can't count the number of times my mail has ended up in someone's else's mailbox.  I can count the number of times my email has been misdirected: ZERO.   I get a kick out of medical billing where they claim (or used to ) that email is not "secure."  I beg to differ.

2 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

In a bit of sad, yet unsurprising news, USPS announced this week that it’s shutting down its Informed Delivery apps for Android and iOS.

From the USPS website:

In Summer 2021, USPS is discontinuing the Informed Delivery standalone mobile application. This application will no longer be available for download on your mobile device.
Download the USPS Mobile Application on the Apple, Google Play, and Microsoft App Stores, which offers the Informed Delivery feature.

The fact that they have a link to tell you how to get the app makes me wonder if they are still going to supply the information to the apps, but just stop supplying them?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Although a bit pricey I have a UPS Store mail box and they forward my mail to me PDQ to wherever I am at.  I usually use another UPS Store for forwarding address if one is close to my camping location and if not no problem.  Very convenient and worry free.  Happy Trails to you.   Gone fishing now see you next week.

https://www.facebook.com/Capt-Bill-Perkins-Evergreen-Helicopters-Singapore-HeliServices-Internat-1602761913330016

https://photos.google.com/

zqDSZl4m.jpg

The fun just never stops.

I was expecting a UPS package today. So I check on Amazon, and it tells me the USPS got it and was forwarding it!!  NO NO NO... So I jump in the car and head to the post office, and thank goodness a supervisor was able to find it for me, and take my information and assure me the forwarding would stop as of tomorrow.

This was not the same supervisor yesterday who told me to go online and change my address back.  Perhaps he was right.. I don't know.  But if forwarding is supposed to stop, it should stop. 

I'm expecting many packages in the next week, and I have no control, or even know, why UPS hands it off to the USPS. Nor do I know why BIG packages end up at the USPS and little ones are delivered to my house by UPS. It's a big mystery. 

Edited by hemsteadc

Sounds like you have not heard of "the last mile" delivery deal a lot shippers have with the USPS.  This is a real deal.  I have never bought anything from Amazon but I'm pretty sure I have read that it has happened with some of their shipments even when instructed to send a certain way. It was on the forum I first heard of this from participants here.  I had a medical shipment that was supposed  to go to a local rural P.O.  and was shipped UPS which has last mile to this P.O. It was in a cold pack and the P.O. was able to take it for me to pick up in person.  UPS wouldn't do last mile for this one and it got lost in their system.  There are glitches everywhere for stupid reasons. Fedex pays one of my children a butt load of money but that didn't stop them from screwing up important paper work involve tags and titles from the tax office in Livingston.  They would not pick it up there. It was an independent fedex contractor.  If someone could have put it in a local fedex drop box everything would have gone smoothly.

I just ordered a couple of batteries for my camera and chose "free shipping" since I'm not in a hurry for them.  I groaned when I saw that they were shipped "UPS Sure Post" which is the system where UPS carries them most of the way, and then turns them over to USPS.  I have only had a few experiences with Sure Post but each has been bad. You are dealing with two tracking systems, one (UPS) of which works well, and the other (USPS) which hardly works at all. If the package is lost or delayed it is very difficult to pin down who has it, when they got it, where it is, and when it is supposed to be delivered. 

Had I realized that the free shipping was Sure Post I'd have ponied up the extra money to get different shipping. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

The "last mile" screwed up my Amazon order a few years ago.  We don't have USPS service at one of our properties and Amazon wouldn't accept a PO Box.  The shipping showed UPS so I ordered to our address.  I received a message that the package had been delivered but it was nowhere to be found.  Amazon told me to check at the Post Office but they denied having it.  Amazon overnighted a new package.  A week later I had a notice in the PO Box that I had a package and additional shipping charges were due.  As instructed by Amazon I denied the package.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I have had vendors ship stuff to me via Smart Post.  The parcel starts out on FedEx and gets it part way to the destination and it is handed off to USPS.  FedEx can get it to within 75 miles of the final destination in a couple of days and then it takes USPS take a week to get it the last few miles.

I got to where I will call the supplier and tell them I'll pay extra to not have USPS take the package.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

When we wintered in Arizona UPS and FedEx would deliver to our campsite but USPS had to go to general delivery. Amazon would not tell me in advance which address to use. So I stopped shopping there until we came of the road to a place that could take both types of deliveries.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Where they're available, I've found Amazon's lockers to be a good alternative to other delivery methods, especially USPS delivery while on the road.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system