Good day,

We are Brits hoping to travel to the USA when everything is opened up.  We want to buy a rv and travel for a couple of years.

Can anyone help us please with the basics, registering the vehicle, insurances etc

Will be very grateful for any help

Thank you

8 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Kirk will be along soon

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Linda was right, as I believe that she is probably thinking of a page on my website that was written by a couple from UK who did exactly what you plan to do. The page was last updated in 2012 but most of the information is still valid. In that same section is a page written by BruceT who is still active on the forums and who traveled the US by RV from Australia. His also is worth your time to read. After you read through the two articles, do not hesitate to return and ask any questions that you may have and we will be happy to help in any way that we are able.

You must establish an address to register your RV. If you haven’t already done so, join the Escapees RV Club and use their mail forwarding service to establish a domicle in TX, FL, or SD. Then you can register and insure you vehicle. 

First you have to pledge to practice driving on the correct side of the road.😁 Welcome aboard the Escapees site.  It will be helpful.

I volunteered at a national park campground that was near Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, DC. A lot of people shipped their rvs to the port of Baltimore. They would usually stay few days with us when their rv came in and when they got ready to leave they would stay  with us while  waiting for the boat that they were shipping it back on. Most of these were small rvs like camper vans.  I expect you will be looking for something larger