Solar awnings

Know a few on here have them. I contemplating setting some up with my solar install. Do y'all run them on a second controller? They subject to not get as much sun, at least my thinking, so would it lessen the output from panels on top of all hooked together? 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Mornin Glenn, anytime I want to connect multiple solar panels to one common solar charge controller I DO SO VERY CAREFULLY and to the extent possible, as needed and how wired, I prefer the panels to be identical matched  BUT ESPECIALLY IF I CONNECT TWO IN PARALLEL (They really need to be matched pairs). If in series where voltage is additive I see less potential  problems subject to all the different panel specs. 

THAT BEING SAID unless the awning panels were properly (voltage and current, V and Vmp  etc.) matched/mated up with the others and subject to if in series or parallel,  or if I wasn't sure ?? Id use a separate controller on the awning. 

PS say you're driving down the road still using rooftop panels to charge, I wouldn't  want any rolled up no sunshine exposure awning panels on the same controller !!!!! 

FWIW I have two identical 24 Volt panels wired in parallel IN SERIES WITH two other 24 Volt panels connected in parallel and subject to the sun I might see 70+ volts going into my single MPPT controller 

Hey, I'm NOT any solar expert so don't take my word for it, see what the experts or the manufacturers have to say, its ONLY my opinion that unless I was sure (and definitely if in parallel)  I WOULD USE A SEPARATE CONTROLLER FOR THE AWNING SOLAR (also considering the above if the awning wasn't rolled out to the sun) 

Thats my story n Ima stickin to it unless proven wrong lol

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

Most newer panels already have diodes and the shading of one or more matched panels will not cause problems for the rest of the array.  I watched a YouTube video just recently where this was tested.  The key here is matched panels.  Mixing various panel types can cause problems.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Oh, I would use all identical panels. So if diodes are in them I be good with one controller?  I agree traveling they would put of little current compared to the rooftop. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, even if using "bypass diodes" FWIW MY choice would still be to put the awning system on its own charge controller. Its not all that expensive BUT ITS YOUR CHOICE EVEN IF IT CAN "WORK" ALL ON ONE. This is just one of those situations where with rooftop panels which are on when driving or parked coupled with panels on an awning that may or may not be exposed to sun, for no more then the extra cost (as compared to your huge expensive system) I would prefer separate controllers BUT HEY THATS JUST ME and ifffffffff either way works fine ????? its YOUR money and YOUR choice...    

Are you going to have the Awning panels in series or parallel with the others ????

You sure do your homework, best wishes and good luck Glenn, keep us posted

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

Planning on a 250/85 or 100 Victron. If separate controllers 85 amp is all I need. Shooting for highest voltage I can. Keep wire size smaller. On second thought, use a 150v unit instead. No way out of a combiner box unless I use the Conext 600v and it's a big expensive unit. 

Edited by GlennWest