Copper tube repair GIRARD RV TANKLESS WATER HEATER GSWH-2

I have a GIRARD RV TANKLESS WATER HEATER GSWH-2 with a burst copper line from ice. Looking for ideas on how to repair.   HVAC and copper plumbing guys know how.  Anyone have ideas or comments?  3/8 od 180 degree turn with break near center.  Love to post a picture but cant compress file size below to max allowable.

Not a plumber but the remedy would be to braze solder in an elbow. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Copper-Fittings-130000?gclid=CjwKCAjwjbCDBhAwEiwAiudBy3LX-cRC9Uw4uayeygyEsyBhx3NogwQOXB6083rnRu-XogIyzP8roRoCATcQAvD_BwE     They now have quick connects for copper lines but these are being sold for HVAC.  https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal-87025-3-8-PRO-Fit-Quick-Connect-90-Degree-Elbow

A lot depends on what tools you have to work with. Cut tube replace with same copper swedge to spread to fit over the copper if small diameter. Larger maybe above, 3/8 get Couplings and for copper to copper silfoss is great. dissimillliar metals silver solder is best. 

How about sanding the area that will be soldered. Close gap as much as possible. Apply flux then tin with low temperature silver solder. Then form a patch of copper tubing that will cover the split and maybe3/16” more. Make it so it fits over the area freely. Then sand, flux and tin the repair piece. Install over split tubing and solder in place. Control the heat and it should work fine.

image.jpeg.f013f4a57e88ba8c2696abfe50867ac9.jpeg

This style solder gun should give you good heat that an be controlled correctly to do that job. I have used similar gun to even weld black water tanks. I have soldered odd high volume heat, short time, controlled solder projects with this style gun.gun.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

It is hard to say without seeing it but at least twice I have fixed a leak with an approriate size hose clamp with rubber? gasket under the clamp.  It was so easy I never went back and did a "permanent repair. One was on the hot water discharge line of a large water heater. So what if it only lasted about 5 years.  I am sure on yours it will depend on where it is located and may not work at all but if it doesn't you sure haven't lost a lot of time and money.

I have done that clamp rubber on my maintenance jobs back in NC. Plant in service and not wanting to shut down system for a water leak. Just cut rubber to fit and a clamp or two on it. Never seen it fail. We did replace during shutdown.

18 hours ago, timotb said:

Lots of good ideas.  Hope I can apply good technique.  Thanks for all the good ideas

They do make U bends in different sizes .

U-Shaped-Copper-Fitting-Pipe.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+tube+u+bend&source=lmns&bih=622&biw=1355&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjev9e3i_nvAhUVyKwKHaieBccQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

Edited by Pat & Pete