Tesla China’s $25k car to be sold globally, confirms exec in state media interview

RV_

Yes the $25k car is coming and the Shanghai Tesla manager says it will be very soon, perhaps fourth quarter, maybe sooner.

Excerpt:

"Aside from economies of scale, there are several hurdles Tesla must overcome before we see a $25,000 entry-level model. For starters, the company needs to start production of the Semi, the Cybertruck, and the Roadster, the latter of which was revealed back in 2017. Another hurdle involves battery technology. During Tesla's battery day, Musk claimed the company would introduce an in-house "tabless" battery that would be cheaper to produce while offering six times more power and boosting range by 16%. These batteries sound like a game-changer, but they are likely several years away.

Much like the batteries themselves, it seems like the $25,000 Tesla is similar to many other Musk promises, a great idea with a long wait time. We won't say that Tesla will never produce a $25,000 car, but you shouldn't hold your breath for it if you are in the market for a new car in the next few years. If Tesla can deliver on this promise, we see no reason why the company shouldn't dominate the Chinese and global markets. Many consumers say they would buy an EV if they were more affordable, and $25,000 seems like a very fair price."

Source: https://carbuzz.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-25000-tesla-model-2

The video below has interviews confirming with senior representatives in China.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Be interesting to see if this tesla car will actually be allowed for sale in USA at $25,000 price if at all.  I would think this would greatly undercut the sales of more expensive teslas and other EV cars now and planned for future.  Americans have always been forced to pay higher prices for most everything in the world economy such as drugs for just one example.  Just saying. Checking out now.

P.S. I have no concern or continuing interest in this topic.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMrizp_KeKkbM7x8OLx6wi-K-XB9fcDPbwmLHwM

227-capt-perkins-with-bell-212-evergreen-in-tokyo(1).jpg.b468bf06502d48667aa55538e78bedef.jpg

Nam,

I have no concern or continuing interest in discussing it with you either.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

You jumped the gun RV.  My comment was meant for a few others that always like to snipe my replies because of their j.   I normally don't view comments of certain others after I have posted.   Cheers.  

P.S. I thank you for posting the news article but only certain Americans will be allowed to buy the $25,000 car IMHO.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Nammedevac,  Maybe you will see this or maybe you won't but have you considered that RV. me, or anyone else knows who you are talking to or about.  On the flat printed page it is easily read as an insult to anyone that reads it without some explanation or context.  As much as I respect what you have done it actually sort of  makes me more put out because I Know you are smarter than that.  I have some issues and you may or may not have issues but since none of us really know you all we can use is what you say and the "tone" of what you say. I flat out know some of us can get testy and get on each others nerves but there really doesn't seem to me any reason to always denigrate each other.    Just my observation for what it is worth which probably isn't much to many. No matter what I wish you the best.

Nam,

This not a China car. It is being developed and will be manufactured at the Shanghai Gigafactory, at first and then at other factories possible as well. It will be for sale here in exactly the same configurations everywhere except for right side steering wheel cars for the UK, etc.

Here's a guy on the Model 2 and how it will be sold anywhere. He filmed it in his Tesla with the glass roof like mine showing it and the airy feeling it gives.:

So they will have the model 2S3XY

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 4/6/2021 at 12:51 PM, NamMedevac 70 said:

P.S. I thank you for posting the news article but only certain Americans will be allowed to buy the $25,000 car IMHO.

Alright if you want to discuss with me and not some others here, I'll answer your comment again.

I know you said it was your "opinion" but what led you to believe the Model 2 would be limited to outside the US?

Tesla is not one of the other brands that make cars specific to one region or country (other than steering wheel placement.)

We have Superchargers all over the world and just opened a Supercharger manufacturing line in Shanghai that will produce an additional 10k Superchargers a year for use worldwide. The Model 2 added to the Model letters spell out 2S3XY. (Too Sexy) As the video points out they will have the $20k economy Model 2, the luxury Model S, the mid priced Model 3 sedan, and the large Model X that can carry as many or more than a minivan/van, and the mid priced Model Y SUV like mine. Coming soon is the Pickup sized Cybertruck, then the Super Car class Tesla Roadster II which will cost much less than the other super cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini, yet leave them in the dust.

Notable in all this is the research to perfect the new lifetime battery packs which don't slowly lose range and power over many recharges. Their energy density is amazing too. However those batteries are at least a year away. But they will be much cheaper, from what I have read more than 50% less to make than current batteries in use by Tesla.

There will be a few competitors with a sedan and a truck but no brand willl be able to catch up with the economies of scale Tesla is building.

And no brand that I know of is putting up the charging infrastructure worldwide that Tesla has already done, and is increasing due to the expected popularity and ubiquity of the economy model. Other brands LIke Nissan and the Leaf BEV only have chargers at their dealerships.

As well Musk has already stated the economy Model 2 would, like my Model Y, be fully equipped with the computers and cameras to pay the fee and get full autonomous driving should the owner want it. So when it comes time to stop driving due to poor vision or reflexes from aging deficits, the $10k upgrade price will be less than a handicap equipped vehicle using fossil drive-trains that are not autonomous.

So Tesla is in the home stretch for the final lineup of models to outsell every other manufacturer of BEVs, and soon I expect them to outsell some current top gas/diesel vehicle manufacturers that will fall by the wayside and could not develop competitive BEVs. BEVS = Battery Electric Vehicles, as opposed to PHEVs = Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles

There is no hydrogen infrastructure to fuel vehicles, save a few in a few states for the turn of the century Honda and Toyota Hydrogen experiments.

The odd thing is many can't see it coming yet.  And the argument of not having the power? There will be a transition as more electric cars take over and less Fossil fuels will be produced, declining exponentially until most of the energy used to find oil, drill, process and refine it, and transport it to gas stations and other industrial users, and the electric to light/power dealerships, and muffler manufacturers along with the factories that used to make Fossil fueled vehicles. All that oil activity electric use will drop by 90% in 20 years as oil production transport and the manufacturing of fossil fueled vehicle electricity use becomes excess over maybe 20 - 50 years or less.

Folks will be driving fossil fueled vehicles for several decades to come. And there will be classic owners collectors like Leno that will always have some.

No one is taking anything away anymore than Henry Ford forced stables to start selling gasoline. As horse travel diminished and gasoline horseless cariages took over I don't think anyone confiscated horses or stopped growing hay.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks RV for all this detailed and in depth info on the Tesla cars and clarifying facts about the 25,000 dollar auto.  Because of your reports I may buy a Tesla  and/or maybe an EV truck  in the future.  I have slowly become an admirer of Tusk over the years.  He makes good use of both private/public money and US federal tax dollars.

Sorry about the earlier misunderstanding.  MY VERY BAD.

P.S. I am saving your Tesla reports for future reference.

https://www.facebook.com/Pilot-Bill-Perkins-Exotic-Living-And-Travels-in-Far-East-and-SE-Asia-1425108021122523

yWXibUam.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Fageddaboutit! No foul no harm. 

I'm also waiting for Musk to spin off Starlink and buy into the IPO on the day it debuts.

I always respected the Chopper pilots of the Vietnam war. You guys flew into the crap and somehow got out.

I put that on a level with the poor mighty 8th AF crews in WWII that were being shot down almost faster than we could build more. Huah!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

minor thread hijack, You just made me remember a friend from elementary school on.  I think he was army crew chief on one brand oh Huey.  On his literal 1st day day in country they were flying back to where their base was and got shot down. Good pilot and good luck they all survived with some injuries but mostly walk away's.  Some one on the bird that picked them up took a picture in air and it had burned almost a completey up as could happen.  Hard to think of but he had 364 days and a wake up after that.  He did make it home but have not seen him since the early 70's

Again sorry about the hijack but sometimes I just have to go with a memory when it comes.  Now back to Tesla- trying not to remember I was one who didn't buy in when RV advised us all.  OK to gloat some more RV, good job.

Jim, don't sweat it. I am only against hate filled hijacks, rare here. Thanks for the story. Did I tell you I was originally a draft dodger with a warrant out for my arrest in January 1971?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I remember some of that but not all the details at the moment.  As you know it could all come back to me in 5 minutes or 5 years.  I often appreciate the same joke over and over since I often forget it.

For my friend I just think it was a hell of way to start your time. (put nicely)

Edited by bigjim
already don't remember

I ran to another state so the Army could not get me and send me, as they were most of the replacements, er, I meant recruits, directly to Vietnam. When they issued the warrant they investigated and found me. I was called into the office of God, my Basic training squadron commander, a captain, to tell me that it was all straightened out. I did not know until he told me because there was no warrant when I joined and the "Greetings" letter came in when I was 7 weeks into Basic. But I was pretty sure with my single digit draft number I'd be getting that draft notice soon. So technically, I did dodge the draft, by joining the Air Force. ;)

I had a great run for 27 years and then retired in Feb 1998 when it wasn't fun anymore.

But there was a warrant out for my arrest for a few days. And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, you know the rest of the story Jim.

Have a great weekend!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998