External Propane Tank

We used to have a Class A coach and we had the extend-a-stay type adapter to use an external propane tank, so I am well aware of how that works. We have now moved to a Class B and there is an issue with the onboard LP tank not filling. It will take ordering a new tank to fix that problem. In the meantime, we would like to use the van. The onboard tank is well hidden under the van with a remote fill, so not possible/easy to use the extend-a-stay approach. There is an external quick-connect fitting for attaching a grill. So, I am thinking about hauling around a 5 gallon LP tank that I would set out and attach to the van when camping. It seems that I could use a regulator and attach this to the grill quick-connect. However, I do not know if there are any one-way valves that would prevent this and I do not know what it would do when it hit the "wrong side" of the regulator. Any experience or thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

The first thing you need to know is whether the grill outlet is high or low pressure. If it's on the low side of the regulator, then connecting a regulator to the portable cylinder and then connecting to the grill outlet should work. Since the regulator output is only about 0.4 PSI, back pressuring the onboard regulator won't cause any harm. If the grill outlet is high pressure, then the connection from the portable cylinder should also be high pressure, and the onboard regulator will be used.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I assume your onboard ASME tank has a remote fill valve and remote 12VDC electric off/on LP supply valve since the tank is mounted to the vehicle frame. This will require the services of a qualified LP service technician to plumb correctly, IMO.

I really doubt your tank must be replaced; rather the remote fill valve or original  fill valve (s) replaced. When it is re-filled but electric valve doesn't open, it may be as simple as replacing a blown fuse or as complicated as replacing the electric valve.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 4/5/2021 at 5:43 PM, JimmyD said:

It seems that I could use a regulator and attach this to the grill quick-connect. However, I do not know if there are any one-way valves that would prevent this and I do not know what it would do when it hit the "wrong side" of the regulator.

I think that you need to talk with an experienced propane system tech about this. I did quite a lot of poking about the internet in an effort to see if the low pressure quick connect fittings are one way and found absolutely nothing. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 4/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, JimmyD said:

We used to have a Class A coach and we had the extend-a-stay type adapter to use an external propane tank, so I am well aware of how that works. We have now moved to a Class B and there is an issue with the onboard LP tank not filling. It will take ordering a new tank to fix that problem. In the meantime, we would like to use the van. The onboard tank is well hidden under the van with a remote fill, so not possible/easy to use the extend-a-stay approach. There is an external quick-connect fitting for attaching a grill. So, I am thinking about hauling around a 5 gallon LP tank that I would set out and attach to the van when camping. It seems that I could use a regulator and attach this to the grill quick-connect. However, I do not know if there are any one-way valves that would prevent this and I do not know what it would do when it hit the "wrong side" of the regulator. Any experience or thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

If you are just using it for grilling, why is there a need to tap it into the existing system? My Weber Q came with a regulator, which I had to remove as I have a quick disconnect under the rig, which is regulated. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

If you are just using it for grilling, why is there a need to tap it into the existing system? My Weber Q came with a regulator, which I had to remove as I have a quick disconnect under the rig, which is regulated. 

He's not grilling, he's asking about using the grill quick connect outlet on the RV as an inlet to the propane system, bypassing the faulty onboard tank.

Edited by Dutch_12078
Clarity

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system