Why is this small, old 1970 Class C $30K?

slackercruster

• slackercruster changed the title to Why is this small, old 1970 Class C $30K?

Wow! That is quite the rig! A lot has been updated while reusing the visible parts to maintain its original look. I think it is a bargain at the current bid. If I was currently in the market I would seriously consider this one.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

First thing is the mileage for a 51 year old RV is only 31000? That figures out to be a total of 608 miles per year. NADA lists only back as far as 1971 and they suggest an average retail of $4000 and suggested list of $7995. 

There is something very wrong with that mileage listed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

First thing is the mileage for a 51 year old RV is only 31000? That figures out to be a total of 608 miles per year. NADA lists only back as far as 1971 and they suggest an average retail of $4000 and suggested list of $7995. 

There is something very wrong with that mileage listed.

The description said the original owner took it to Nascar races then it sat unused for several years. That might worry me if it wasn't for all the work they did on it recently. I thought this would be a terrible deal until I read the description and looked at the photos. It sounds like its pretty much a new RV in an old body.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think just like a person who collect vintage cars, this too is worth the asking price to the person who wants it. It was a well built unit in it's time and looks done really well, I am sure eventually someone will enjoy buying it.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

51 minutes ago, dblr said:

I think just like a person who collect vintage cars, this too is worth the asking price to the person who wants it.

That may be true, if you are an RV collector and not an RV traveler. 

I still question the accuracy of the odometer reading. 

Edited by Kirk W

That is what I meant by my post a collector, I don't think for the price someone wanting a rv to travel would be interested. 

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

How many motorhomes that you know of that sleep four people yet can park in a single parking space can you buy for this price? IMO, you don't have to be a collector to see value in this RV that has been fully rehabilitated. You guys are getting stuck on the age of the unit instead of all the work that has been done to it.

Linda

52 minutes ago, sandsys said:

You guys are getting stuck on the age of the unit instead of all the work that has been done to it.

And just where do you expect to find parts and repairs for an engine and drive train that is now 51 years old if you have problems on the road? 

14 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Me too; I suspect the analog odometer has "rolled over".

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

And just where do you expect to find parts and repairs for an engine and drive train that is now 51 years old if you have problems on the road? 

Rock Auto carries a lot of them: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1970,e-300+econoline,5.0l+302cid+v8,1115233

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

"The original 302 V8 motor does not drip a drop of fluids, she is tight and starts easily with the turn of a key. The motor and transmission have been serviced and updated where necessary. New carburetor, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, cap and rotors, wires and plugs. She shifts smoothly as her SelectShift Cruise-O-Matic transmission has not seen many miles, works as new. New tires and new brakes, new master cylinder and new brake lines stop her on dime safely." doesn't make you feel this RV still has the ability to take you where you want to go for the next several years? I guess I'm not as much of a pessimist as you.

Linda

This unit must be very unique, it has something I've never read of before. Quote from that webpage, "The hot water heater also runs off 12v and will provide a very nice hot shower".

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

So go and buy it and start to travel..... 

Oh, how i wish I could! Unfortunately my body no longer participates in such an activity. But, I sure would like to own this one and travel again.

Linda

Another small motorhome that sells for a premium and is in high demand is the Chinook.  They are a Class B.  Here on the west coast I see quite a few still on the road.  Last manufactured in 2005 I think.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

15 minutes ago, stevekk said:

Another small motorhome that sells for a premium and is in high demand is the Chinook.  They are a Class B.  Here on the west coast I see quite a few still on the road.  Last manufactured in 2005 I think.

Chinook is making a come back but not sure if it is the original one or someone bought the name and making a close copy.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Yes, the Chinook "name" is still around.  They make a sprinter model only, not anywhere close to the original.  Not sure about history of this company and how it is associated with the original company.

The Lazy Daze sold yesterday for  $31,100.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !