Indoor garden planted.

Have thought about it for a long time. Maybe since my first visit to South Florida where I was neighbors with a husband and wife from Canada. We pulled in within days of each other and right away there was some digging and planting I was wondering if it was allowed, but pretty soon there were flower plants and a couple of tomato plants right outside my door. Our spots were sort of a right angle to each other. Mine allowed me to utilize my garage to pull my motorcycle in daily after the ride to and from work. The back of their trailer as near my front entry door and where their garden plot was. Luckily my trailer didn't block the sun and neither did theirs.  Sad note though. No sooner than the tomato plants started to fruit the couple moved out. Before moving they dug them up and placed them in the trash. I though about trying to rescue, but didn't.  I also didn't give thought to telling them I would take care of them when they departed. My French was not very good. 

Anyway, today I opened the bags of "Garden soil" and "Potting soil" I picked up on Friday. I found a couple perforated plastic trays to fill with soil and a  recycled perfusion box from work to keep the excess water and bits of dirt contained. Bagged soil has sure changed since I last bought some many years ago. What I found was not quite done compost with many sticks and other pieces of bark mixed with some clay and sand. I guess that's what's available in Oklahoma. Next time I will purchase in Iowa or maybe visit my cousins farm and get some real dirt. 

I broadcast a few radish seeds and some Kohlrabi I was going to do carrots too but they won't be ready by the time I am planning to leave.  I might try to find some Lettuce tomorrow. The container is sturdy enough that once the plants are bigger I will put them on the back of the truck for more sun unless it's going to rain much and then I will bring them inside. I filled up a 5 gallon container with water from the river and will see how long it lasts. Took about a gallon to get the bag soil moist. The water in the river is very clear and I think will do much better than whatever is coming out of my faucet. I need to ask if it's city water or from a well. I do see a well hooked up to the "Sprinkler System" that no longer works after the "Flood". 

Anyone else grow things? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I'm not a gardener but I learned a new thing this week that might help some. You know those plastic containers you get rotisserie chicken in? Apparently they make good greenhouses for starting plants indoors.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your garden! May it bring you much value.

I have grown things outside and in a greenhouse for decades. Suggest pulling those radish sprouts that have grown too close to another and putting them in a salad for a peppery flavor burst. We sold our farm in March, so I didn't sow seeds this year. Cannot say I'm upset about that (growing 75% of one's food is an energy intensive gig), but I do know I'll end up with basil and chives inside the motorhome at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 8:00 PM, Gray and Green said:

Congrats on your garden! May it bring you much value.

I have grown things outside and in a greenhouse for decades. Suggest pulling those radish sprouts that have grown too close to another and putting them in a salad for a peppery flavor burst. We sold our farm in March, so I didn't sow seeds this year. Cannot say I'm upset about that (growing 75% of one's food is an energy intensive gig), but I do know I'll end up with basil and chives inside the motorhome at some point.

I'm just a couple weeks from moving and my plants won't be making the trip with me. Other than using some of them as "Microgreens" the rest will go to a compost pile not worth trying to save. I'll try and post photos and attach. 

I'm thinking the bagged garden soil and potting soil I purchased is the reason. When I opened the bags they both looked like the same stuff and not what I expected. It seemed like a not quite ready compost pile (or Mulch) was mixed with some sand and maybe some clay. Nothing like the black fine well composted offering  I was expecting. I almost didn't waste the seeds, but decided "This must be what it's like in Oklahoma." Won't do that again. Growing up in Iowa with the black gold and then the next real garden was in South Florida with a good portion of the "Muck" I think it's called in my garden spot it was easy to grow anything, as long as you pulled out the weeds that would grow much faster. 

I will be landing in North Dakota the middle of June. May try it again, have heard they have long days during the summer. Will find a farmers market first though and find out what grows during their summers. 

Rod

AN8Hmtzl.jpg

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Just a guess from that photo: the soil might have been too hot, meaning it was too rich for the seedlings. Looks like you got a good germination rate. Good work! Also appears the sprouts may have received too much (or too strong of) sun. Bet those stems are peppery, though! I'd toss those babies into a stir fry. :)

We're going to be making our way to our new home state of South Dakota, beginning tomorrow. )))waves(((  Best wishes on this project.👍