Tiny Nuclear Reactors Can Save American Energy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/23/2021 at 7:35 AM, Kirk W said:

There is no point it attempting to convince self-proclaimed experts of anything. 😏

Kirk,

Since the subject has changed from the interesting developments in physics and fusion developments in particular to your tired old calling me a self "proclaimed expert," now that is the pot calling the kettle black. Your expertise  always comes from a friend/relative being in the field! You don't have anything factual to add so you resort to name calling. Are you guys in the clique emailing madly now behind the scenes to attack? Don't get me wrong Kirk, you have posted some good info from real world experts and new stuff from time to time.

But then again for years on the Computer forum here you continuously used your self proclaimed expert phrase, blamed someone else for your purchase of a laptop you did not like and that you found a solution and hated Microsoft so were switching to Apple! Your son or some family member was giving you one several years back. And anyone here for more than the most recent remember those.

If several of you have built a personality around gleefully offending me or any other who posts some interesting new developments in tech, here's what you need to know, I am not offended. You haven't hurt my feelings or made me cry. You sound like children to me, and it only gets old responding over and over to the infuriatingly routine naysaying here.

You and your clique aren't erudite debaters "owning" me or anyone. You're the rotten annoying kids kicking the back of my seat while I am trying to keep the car on the road. I just pass along what some peer reviewed "actual scientists" think they can achieve. I find it interesting, if you don't then don't read. If you disagree and have an opposing view and post it I have no problem with that. Predicting the future is a messy business. I just post the timelines MIT gave on their research, and as most of you you may have read about muons and other particles changing what we thought we knew about physics in seminal ways.

You see I don't know enough to be an Expert. I just read some interesting stuff and pass it along to my friends here which you and a few others are not. And don't fool yourselves. I have no desire to be your friend in any way. I don't like you either. But I don't do insinuation and name calling to express my dislike of you. I just say I don't like you. Which means no peer pressure you think to bring to bear has any effect on me other than to answer you and your peers directly pointing out your behaviors without resorting to name calling.

I have no desire to join your clique at all, nor feel left out.

And despite your personal attacks will not stoop to that level.

I'll continue to post stuff I find interesting from sources like Scientific American and Popular mechanics.

Life is great and will continue to be. As I continue to post things I find interesting. Like I did with:

Tesla and got called a fool here with you and Stan (Called it a pump and dump in 2003) and because Musk will never do that because he is a nut who says he is going to Mars. Then when he started launching and I said the ULA was the epitome of the $500 hammer contractor with the gov one of you started in on how some had inside info on the ULA and Lockheed/Boeing.

When I listened to Musk saying he foresaw his upcoming Starlink Internet service with LEO satellites all here said it would never work on an RV as I first posted. Then some of you acted like you were behind it all along! Now it turns out RVs and Trucks will also be served by the end of this year.

I will keep posting for the friends I have here. And they are more than your gang of five or six.

Get over yourself Kirk.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:23 AM, packnrat said:

. . . what does all that have to do with having a nuke plant at home? sure everything uses electricy, but we need to get off this bad habit.

bty who gets "FREE" phone calling? and some of the toys you listed are of no use to most even here in the USA.

It was to say that everything we have today was developed by scientists and techies and engineers depending.

When I was in Germany 1990-1997 a phone call home was ten bucks or so for about ten minutes. MY landline used to let me call long distance free but unless I paid an extra 25 bucks a months they charger me for near areas in my area code but not considered local.

With my current phone I can call anywhere in N. America for no additional charge.

I use Duo on my cell phone to video call my son in Germany almost every day free. If you want you can use Google Voice - https://voice.google.com/about It adds nothing to my Internet bill.

Soon there will be Starlink for Mobile Internet too. If you don't want Internet how are you posting? Costs will be nothing for RVrs compared to the very limited speeds and expense of Internet by phones now.

I already got my email telling me I could now get Starlink. And as much as I love my tech toys (Tesla, computers/tablets, five Ring cameras, etc.)

Nice try, no Kewpie doll.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:11 AM, Rich&Sylvia said:

Fission will probably be obsolete before it becomes a backyard power plant.
Billionaires Jeff Bezos and Tobia Lutke recently committed large sums to General Fusion with plans to bring fusion online within four years:  General Fusion

And American MIT spin-off  Commonwealth Fusion Systems plans a ". . . full-scale magnet demonstration is set to take place in June 2021."  : Commonwealth Fusion Systems (also with billionaire backing Bill Gates)

TAE Technologies see commercial power production by end of this decade: TAE Technologies

Dozens of companies are in pursuit of fusion: https://www.fusionindustryassociation.org/members

Amen brother. I hadn't seen two of those except in passing.

Oh wait, does quoting peer reviewed top scientists make you a self proclaimed expert too here? 😅🤣😂

Posted (edited)

You guys like quoting failures of the past as predictions of the future so be it.

Here's your sign :rolleyes::P:

The Times They Are A-Changin'

"The Times They Are A-Changin'"

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who that it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
The battle outside ragin'
Will soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
Edited by RV_
2 hours ago, RV_ said:

It was to say that everything we have today was developed by scientists and techies and engineers depending.

When I was in Germany 1990-1997 a phone call home was ten bucks or so for about ten minutes. MY landline used to let me call long distance free but unless I paid an extra 25 bucks a months they charger me for near areas in my area code but not considered local.

With my current phone I can call anywhere in N. America for no additional charge.

I use Duo on my cell phone to video call my son in Germany almost every day free. If you want you can use Google Voice - https://voice.google.com/about It adds nothing to my Internet bill.

Soon there will be Starlink for Mobile Internet too. If you don't want Internet how are you posting? Costs will be nothing for RVrs compared to the very limited speeds and expense of Internet by phones now.

I already got my email telling me I could now get Starlink. And as much as I love my tech toys (Tesla, computers/tablets, five Ring cameras, etc.)

Nice try, no Kewpie doll.

so you do not have to pay for having phone/web service. the mega corps just let you have it for nothing?

sure the more you call, the less per call, but you still have this nagging bill to pay each month.

sure i pay for web access, but for me at a huge expense. $49.99 a month. comcast is costly. i am only on a couple days a week, rest of the time it is of no use to me and i still get to pay for none use days. and i know nobody i can call outside of the USA. farthest calling for me is portland or. i am south east of sacramento ca. and that is maybe once in a year or two. if i need to call a company i use there 800 number. even for work, and that's local.

I said we can make free long distance overseas video calls due to tech advances. We can make free calls when we have Internet without buying long distance minutes. I said:

"I use Duo https://duo.google.com/about/  on my cell phone to video call my son in Germany almost every day free. If you want you can use Google Voice - https://voice.google.com/about It adds nothing to my Internet [or cell] bill."

Duo is a phone app from the Play Store. for long distance voice and video calls.

I don't have to use a VoIP phone device like Magic Jack which we did use for years in lieu of a landline at home. It cost, back then $60 Bucks for five years service. I still have the device but our cell phone services are actual unlimited data for both our phone for right at $100 a month total for two lines after military discounts.

Our Internet is $55 a month for Centurylink 100Mbps fiber download with a 20Mbps upload speed.

Anymore ~$50 a month for 100Mbps Internet is the norm in a Stix n Brix home. But I just called Xfinity and they offer it for 34.99 a month for 100 MBps but their upload speed is only 5MBps so I backed down and cancelled that order before we completed it.

I'm not promoting any of these, just clarifying that if I have 100 MBps Internet there is no charge for Google Voice or Duo for video calls or voice.

Pretty soon 5g phone Internet and Cable Internet are going to change dramatically in pricing and choices. So if you are on a fixed budget as we all are who are retired, prices are about to go crazy low as cable companies try to stay in biz with Starlink etc. changing gears as I type this.

They also have cell service as long as you have their Internet at $85 a month for two lines unlimited everything. That beats my Verizon direct bill by $15. But that slow upload speed is a showstopper.

Whether you live in an RV or a stationary home the Internet pricing and services are going to change dramatically in the next year.