Tiny Nuclear Reactors Can Save American Energy

RV_

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch a you tube series called "Practical Engineering" and learn all kinds of stuff.  He went into a very detailed explanation of what happened in Texas, and I was surprised to learn that power problems have more to do with the frequency (Hz) than actual power availability. 

He explained that if the Hz drift below 59.4 for a certain period of just minutes, things start shutting down.  I guess that frequency drop can cause some big problems. 

I trust this guy and I hope he's correct.  

47 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I trust this guy and I hope he's correct.  

While I don't know what he told you, having been an electric plant operator in my Navy days, I can tell you that two or more alternating current generators must be operating at the exact same frequency in order to share the load equally. If one slows it unloads on to the others. If one increases frequency it attempts to pick up loading from the others. For load sharing the frequency is critically important. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

While I don't know what he told you,......two or more alternating current generators must be operating at the exact same frequency in order to share the load equally. If one slows it unloads on to the others.

He told me about the frequency drift...but I'm not clear on what causes it.. unless it's just high demand which what, causes the turbine to spin slower?

I guess this is the technique used in paralleled Honda generators... but certainly not by engine rpm.

Edited by hemsteadc

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I guess this is the technique used in paralleled Honda generators... but certainly not by engine rpm.

Right. With your generators, the power produced is direct current which is sent to an inverter to be changed into alternating current. The two inverters have the frequency controls linked so that the two put out current of exactly the same frequency and exactly in phase. If you don't know the phase relationship means that they pass through 0V and from + to - at exactly the same times and voltages are also the same. They work as though it was just one inverter supplied by 2 direct current generators. (This is overly simplified but is the practical effect)

Edited by Kirk W

In the early 70s there was no public Internet, personal computers, Cell phones, flat screen TVs, rockets that landed on their tails, no International space stations no interstate capable Electric cars, no Bluetooth speakers or otherwise, no WiFi, No CDs, no SSDs, flash thumb drives, no digital cameras, no led bulbs, no tiny speakers that sound like big speakers like the Bose mini soundlinks, no streaming entertainment, no built in navigation in cars, no Garmin, no accurate public GPS system, no free telephone calling anywhere. No video calling, no digital satellite TV, no wireless home security cams, first MRI body scan was 1977, no usable battery tools, no tablets like Star Trek, no Keuirigs, no consumer laser devices, no free long distance calls, and that's just off the top of my head. Lots more.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I wondered when you were going to run out of breath, Derek.  😅  I believe packnrat is or was a truckdriver and I bet if he stops to think there are so many things in the cab of the truck  that were not available then. Some predictions take longer than expected and sure some don't work out ever.

June 2020 Segway is stopping production, about 4 days ago it was reported they are working on a hydrogen powered motorcycle.

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

In the early 70s there was no public Internet, personal computers, Cell phones, flat screen TVs, rockets that landed on their tails, no International space stations no interstate capable Electric cars, no Bluetooth speakers or otherwise, no WiFi, No CDs, no SSDs, flash thumb drives, no digital cameras, no led bulbs, no tiny speakers that sound like big speakers like the Bose mini soundlinks, no streaming entertainment, no built in navigation in cars, no Garmin, no accurate public GPS system, no free telephone calling anywhere. No video calling, no digital satellite TV, no wireless home security cams, first MRI body scan was 1977, no usable battery tools, no tablets like Star Trek, no Keuirigs, no consumer laser devices, no free long distance calls, and that's just off the top of my head. Lots more.

what does all that have to do with having a nuke plant at home? sure everything uses electricy, but we need to get off this bad habit.

bty who gets "FREE" phone calling? and some of the toys you listed are of no use to most even here in the USA.

Edited by packnrat

In the 50s and 60s the U.S. Government experminted around with small/tiny nuclear reactors for civilian use in supplying city electricity.  Here is one example that is Arco, Idaho near craters of the Moon NM.  Like some of the others they had serious incidents resulting in death or injury to facility personnel all were shut down and this one abandoned.  More detailed info of this facility and others can be found easily on internet search. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arco,_Idaho

"Arco was the first community in the world ever to be lit by electricity generated solely by nuclear power. This occurred for about an hour on July 17, 1955, powered by Argonne National Laboratory’s BORAX-III reactor at the nearby National Reactor Testing Station (NRTS), now the Idaho National Laboratory.[8] NRTS made further history on January 3, 1961, when the SL-1 reactor was destroyed through an operator maintenance error, with the ensuing steam explosion causing the deaths of all three personnel present. It was the world's first and the United States' only fatal reactor accident.["

"Cheers To The Christians" said the Romans

Retired Acct & SEC CFP, former legislative aide and pilot to two Texas Governors plus 4 Honorable Discharges from Active Army, Guard and Reserves.

T1di2E2m.jpghttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

Edited by NamMedevac 70

11 hours ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

In the 50s and 60s the U.S. Government experminted around with small/tiny nuclear reactors for civilian use in supplying city electricity.  Here is one example that is Arco, Idaho near craters of the Moon NM.  Like some of the others they had serious incidents resulting in death or injury to facility personnel all were shut down and this one abandoned.  More detailed info of this facility and others can be found easily on internet search.

If that really happened, document it for us. When I was training at that site in Jan. of 1963, the only accident in that area had happened just 2 years before (Jan. 3, 1961) and that was the only small plant in that area and it was operated by the US Army. We studied quite a lot about that accident and were also given some information on the Westinghouse TR-2 accident which took place on April 2, 1960 in Pennsylvania. There were no such tiny plants in the Arco area, to my knowledge and none were ever mentioned to us. 

SL-1 Accident

The SL-1, or Stationary Low-Power Reactor Number One, was a United States Army experimental nuclear power reactor which underwent a steam explosion and meltdown on January 3, 1961, killing its three operators. 

A good friend of mine was stationed there for his last 4 years as senior instructor with the Navy, just before he retired in 1966. I trained at the A1W aircraft carrier prototype (in spite of being submarine) and others were at S1W, a submarine plant. In 1965 the S5G submarine prototype was put service and operated until May of 1995. 

S1W operated from 1953 until 1989 and A1W first went critical in Oct. of 1958 and was shut down in Jan. of 1994.

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

1 hour ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

The online encyclopedia Wikipedia is my internet go to source for a great many searches of varying topics and over time have checked its accuracy with other sources.  For the constant doubting Thomas a simple first grade google search for Arco Idaho will yield you the desired results.

Wiki is good for any subject that is 100% nonpolitical, once a slight tinge of politics touches a subject then Wiki loses all credibility.

And nuke power has a lot more than a little politics attached.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, hemsteadc said:

I watch a you tube series called "Practical Engineering" and learn all kinds of stuff.  He went into a very detailed explanation of what happened in Texas,

I jyust subscribed to that channel a week or so ago but have not watched those eposodes. Anyone who has brought a generator online will tell you it isn't a simple task, synchroscopes and such. Doing it wrong can cause considerable excitement.

10 hours ago, packnrat said:

sure everything uses electricy, but we need to get off this bad habit.

bty who gets "FREE" phone calling? and some of the toys you listed are of no use to most even here in the USA.

I think you mean electricity? Not all of those I listed. I have actual unlimited data with my phone and at home so we rarely use more than a few MB on the phones and use almost a Terabyte a month for streaming at home. Since we pay for our data anyway on our phones we use Duo for secure messaging (Encrypted end to end) and video calls. Our son, DIL and two grandkids are in Germany and we viseo call with them almost daily for anywhere from a minute to usually 30-45 minutes. The 2 and 5 y/o G-kids love it. No charge at all when both parties have it. Surprisingly good video and connections for free use: https://duo.google.com/about/

Zoom and all the Skype etc. we've tried and none are a high quality video and audio, and so easy once they accept the offer and have it on their phones.

NO one said you would have a nuke plany in your home. THey talk about distributed power production with MW plants that serve ~650 homes.

Please show me where it was said we would have them in our homes? THat's crazy at this point.

I am sorry you have such a negative view of things. We here have a blast and marvel at the toys we have. Have fun! I hope you feel better.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

I wondered when you were going to run out of breath, Derek.  😅  I believe packnrat is or was a truckdriver and I bet if he stops to think there are so many things in the cab of the truck  that were not available then. Some predictions take longer than expected and sure some don't work out ever.

June 2020 Segway is stopping production, about 4 days ago it was reported they are working on a hydrogen powered motorcycle.

That was just speed typing stream of consciousness Jim! LOL!

I am sorry to see Segway go but it wasn't for me anyway. If I am going to get on two wheels I would prefer a fast motorcycle. Or scooter. I had a black Honda Helix I named Felix the helix:

QooGtAUl.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Nuclear waste can be recycled:

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have also heard about nuclear waste recycling but are they actually recycling the stuff.  Also heard a long time ago in the news that USA will be storing nuclear waste from other countries.  Tell Kirk I do not have a link to the old news article and will display the link when it presents itself. Care to elaborate on any of this sports fans? 

Retired Accountant, SEC CFP and former Legislative Aide & pilot to two Texas Governors in good health and live a very comfortable life at 74 years.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

5HuFMUSm.jpg4LJm4Z6m.jpg

6MHnGalm.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

On 4/14/2021 at 12:00 AM, NamMedevac 70 said:

have also heard about nuclear waste recycling but are they actually recycling the stuff.  Also heard a long time ago in the news that USA will be storing nuclear waste from other countries. 

Just heard a couple of news blurbs about us storing waste from other countries just recently. I have not heard any details.  I also question if they are actually recycling.  I am open minded about it as I really don't know anything. As for storing in one respect I guess it could be good to have it in a secure spot under our control.