Windows 10: My five favorite free utilities

RV_

From Ed Bott, my favorite PC/tech writer for years. Here he puts in links to articles about each and where to get them. Scroll down past the first set of links to the article and for each related links help understand each.

Excerpt:

"Those of us who work on PCs and Macs mark our days by the heavy-duty software that helps us get things done. The classic Office apps -- Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint -- that are now part of your Microsoft 365 subscription are at the top of the list, followed closely by Adobe's Photoshop, communication tools like Slack and Zoom, and, of course, your default web browser.

Earlier this year, I shared my list of 11 big, important programs that I use day in and day out in Windows and Mac software: My 11 essential apps and services.

But those superstars of software would not exist without an army of smaller, more nimble collections of code. These utilities are the workhorses of the PC and Mac world. My workday has been saved more times than I can remember by a small, highly focused app that helped me diagnose or solve a thorny problem.

In this post, I share a handful of my favorite utilities for Windows 10, including one indispensable suite of roughly 80 programs that's still getting regular updates a quarter-century after its debut.

You won't find any snake oil software in this list: No uninstaller utilities, password crackers, registry cleaners, or so-called system optimizers, which, in my experience, tend to cause more problems than they solve. It also doesn't include any free antivirus tools.

I've also left off some categories that are represented well by built-in Windows 10 features. The relatively new Clipboard manager and Snip and Sketch tools, for example, do enough to make third-party utilities unnecessary for most people.

Here's my list. If you've got a favorite free Windows utility, please feel free to share it in the comments."

Ed goes on to explain each. Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-my-five-favorite-free-utilities/?ftag=CAD2e14604

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire