Turning Radius Deception??? Please Help

Overthinker

We were reviewing our final build sheet of a Volvo VNL 740 mid roof with a 215" WB and while looking at the predictor I noticed something interesting.  The turning radius curb to curb is 63.89' which is almost 7' more than my GMC crew cab dually.  When we first started this journey everyone said our HDT turns better than a dually pickup.  What am I missing?  7' more is a huge difference and that's with a short WB HDT most HDT's are even longer, at 225" WB the turning radius is 10' larger than our 2020 Duramax.  

When everyone says their HDT "turns better" are they referring to something other than turning radius?  I'm really concerned if we order this truck I'm going to have a difficult time maneuvering in campgrounds.

You're missing the shorter wheelbase crowd. Back in the day, when that was a common refrain, most trucks were singled short. smart cars weren't a thing, yet, so trucks went everywhere. 215+" WB is a far cry from the typical 180" WB singled short truck.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

When we bought our 770, we also had a 2005 F-350 srw short bed.  Turning radius was about the same for both trucks, even though the Volvo was/is tandem.  Modern pick-ups turn far shorter than they used to.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It is the wheel cut that makes the difference.  Most regular pickups have the front wheel close to the frame and limit their wheel cut. The F-450 moved the wheels out and have a better wheel cut.

Tandems duals increase turning radius because of the longer wheel base.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

When we bought our 770, we also had a 2005 F-350 srw short bed.  Turning radius was about the same for both trucks, even though the Volvo was/is tandem.  Modern pick-ups turn far shorter than they used to.

True enough. Forgot about that.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

From my very limited towing experience with the HDT (singled long), it pretty much matched my 2017 F350 DRW for turning.  Just have to go a little deeper into the turn before turning the wheel.  Other than getting the extra length into someplace, I imagine it being a negligible difference between the two trucks.  For me, my front bumper is about 8 feet beyond where the front bumper of the F350 was, so signs/trees/corners/other obstacles my be present that I would have missed with the F350.  This is from a combination of overall length and the hitch being behind the rear axle.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

19 hours ago, Overthinker said:

We were reviewing our final build sheet of a Volvo VNL 740 mid roof with a 215" WB and while looking at the predictor I noticed something interesting.  The turning radius curb to curb is 63.89' which is almost 7' more than my GMC crew cab dually.  When we first started this journey everyone said our HDT turns better than a dually pickup.  What am I missing?  7' more is a huge difference and that's with a short WB HDT most HDT's are even longer, at 225" WB the turning radius is 10' larger than our 2020 Duramax.  

When everyone says their HDT "turns better" are they referring to something other than turning radius?  I'm really concerned if we order this truck I'm going to have a difficult time maneuvering in campgrounds.

The second response really nailed it; 215" isn't a short wheelbase, and the newer pickups turn really tight.

The 610 in my sig is 230"; it turns significantly less tight then the Ram that also pulls the 5th wheel.  Of all the places we've been with the HDT the turning radius never prevented a trip or parking in a spot.  We did have some tight maneuvering and many forward then back events.

But yah, 215" isn't going to turn like a pickup.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Turn radius is a function of front axle wheel cut angle and wheel base. 

Wide track steer axles like most class 7’s , 8’s , and trucks like 550/5500’s have more “cut” than an independent front suspension 4 wheel drive pickup  might have.

Trailer hitch point behind the rear axle will reduce trailer “off tracking” in turns. 

Keep in mind when you are 🤔 thinking - class 8 “HDTs” pulling all kinds of semitrailers 53ft long with their wheels back where they belong get driven in and out of places where RV’ers’z are running over the shrubs and sign posts 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

47 minutes ago, noteven said:

Turn radius is a function of front axle wheel cut angle and wheel base. 

Wide track steer axles like most class 7’s , 8’s , and trucks like 550/5500’s have more “cut” than an independent front suspension 4 wheel drive pickup  might have.

Trailer hitch point behind the rear axle will reduce trailer “off tracking” in turns. 

Keep in mind when you are 🤔 thinking - class 8 “HDTs” pulling all kinds of semitrailers 53ft long with their wheels back where they belong get driven in and out of places where RV’ers’z are running over the shrubs and sign posts 😀

I have to chime in on this and say that 2001 F550 Starhauler needs at least a half acre to turn around. It's terrible when backing my trailer in a RV site.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

59 minutes ago, noteven said:

Is that because of the vehicle, or the driver?  One reason to get into the campground early is to sit, beverage in hand, and watch others trying to get parked.  Some have even had score cards to hold up at the end of the performance. (not me...)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I agree with Rick. That is why we are members of the 230 club (230 miles or 2:30 in the afternoon). A cocktail and lawn chair make good places to watch the RV's park.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.