"Doom" is word used in latest CDC press conference by new CDC director

Carefully read the story  for yourselves in her own quotes.  As always I will continue to wear my mask for safety and comfort from a cold wind.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/cdc-director-dr-rochelle-walensky-warns-of-impending-doom/

I have my vest on today.  Happy Camper and former Tax Accountant and SEC CFP

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot

227-capt-perkins-with-bell-212-evergreen-in-tokyo(1).jpg.b468bf06502d48667aa55538e78bedef.jpg

Young people are being intubated, we are likely to start seeing deaths of younger people because they are catching the new variants which may be more aggressive all because they couldn't wait 30 more days to get vaccinated.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

People are sick and tired of the Pandemic. Death, or permanent health damage as some folks get from a non lethal case, will be on the upswing as well.

While so far the variants have not proven more deadly, nor less, they may be more contagious. We won't have all the facts until a lot more people die apparently.

We have both had both our Pfizer shots but will continue to wear masks until the pandemic is done.

As a side note Staples is offering free lamination of your COVID vaccine card we just had ours done there.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 minutes ago, RV_ said:

As a side note Staples is offering free lamination of your COVID vaccine card we just had ours done there.

Good tip - thanks!

If you don't want to go to Staples or want an additional backup - take a picture with your phone and keep it for display.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

8 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

And the Sky is Falling!

No, another warning that it isn't all behind us, there will be more unneccary deaths because politicians caved to minorities and let up restrictions when just another 30 days would have made a great deal of difference!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The two articles do not read the same to me.  They are both reporting on the same briefing, so of course there is a lot of overlap.  But the headlines clearly try to convey a different message:

‘Scared’ CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky warns of ‘impending doom’

CDC director Rochelle Walensky warns of "impending doom" amid COVID-19 spikes

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

I think there is a difference between reporting and opinions.  Fortunately, everyone can decide for themselves, if these were intended to be, and are,  the same message:

P.S. In the same press briefing Walensky said:  "I think people want to be done with this.,”  adding: “The thing that’s different this time is we actually have it in our power to be done because of the scale of the vaccination.”

Edited by DanZemke
Clarity

42 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

I think there is a difference between reporting and opinions.  Fortunately, everyone can decide for themselves, if these were intended to be, and are,  the same message:

P.S. In the same press briefing Walensky said:  "I think people want to be done with this.,”  adding: “The thing that’s different this time is we actually have it in our power to be done because of the scale of the vaccination.”

I watched her statement.  Doo you realize there are now ppl under 40 being intubated because not only did they catch the virus because of their lack of precautions, but the variants they are catching are more aggressive resulting in more serious disease.  

what I can’t figure out is why everyone is ok with MORE deaths?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

No, another warning that it isn't all behind us, there will be more unneccary deaths because politicians caved to minorities and let up restrictions when just another 30 days would have made a great deal of difference!

on percentage the number of deaths from COVID is fairly small. 

I am 70 had COVID, recovered quickly. Most people do. Way Far more people had recovered than died.

4 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

on percentage the number of deaths from COVID is fairly small. 

We currently (this week) have a son, DIL and teenagers who are vacationing in FL because they wanted to.  The parents just had their first shots but the kids, of course, have had none.  Statistically, they ought to be OK, but we tried to persuade them not to until we were blue in the face.   If they come back safe, no doubt they will say "we told you so."

It appears to be impossible to get most people to understand risk and probabilities. 

Yes, most people do recover from COVID-19 but some do die and some have lasting serious symptoms. 

Yes, there is an annual flu season and people do die from the flu.  But the death rate from flu is ~0.1% and the death rate from COVID is ~3-4%.  If you aren't good with percentages, that's a factor of 30-40 worse.

Even though we both have had the Pfizer vaccine we continue to wear masks when out in public.  The data released today showed that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are ~90% effective.  That still means that ~10% will still get sick and, of those, some may die.

It all boils down to how much risk you are willing to take.  IMHO I don't need a FL vacation that much.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

For comparison;

Brisbane just instituted a 2 week lockdown after  7 cases were diagnosed in the city of 2 million. That's taking the virus seriously.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I agree Dan and Joel, and Barb. Nam your article was a shock piece and seemed more opinion and putting negative "spin"

Trust me no virus holds a political stance.  Here is an article from Scientific American.

Excerpt:

"https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-antiscience-movement-is-escalating-going-global-and-killing-thousands/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=today-in-science&utm_content=link&utm_term=2021-03-29_featured-this-week&spMailingID=69892210&spUserID=NTAzMDg3NDk0MDIzS0&spJobID=2083244994&spReportId=MjA4MzI0NDk5NAS2

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I’ve had Covid. Back in December around the holidays. And for me it was not a big deal thankfully. Maybe an immune system from 40 years of extensive world travel helped. Who knows. But being a person with a science background it was a bit weird how it seemed to be looking for a weakness, sort of moving throughout the body. 

Sadly it has killed people I’ve known personally and via the internet. I’m sympathetic to everyone and families affected. 

I will be vaccinated when possible. But personally I don’t really care anymore. I will keep taking steps to avoid spreading it to anyone. It’s still a developing situation with medical research regarding how and when it spreads as well as effectiveness of the vaccine.

If it comes at me again I’ll beat it back. Hope all of friends on here and elsewhere stay safe and healthy.