TST tire monitor system; 510 sensor

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone has taken apart TST 510 sensor ? I have looked on line but have found nothing about the 510 sensor. I know that the 507 sensor is held together with 3 screws. I also understand that I would have to cut off the outside cover on the 510 sensor. The big question is, if the outside cover is removed on the 510 can the sensor still be used ? Is there any weather protection without the outside cover ? I would like to see a picture of what the 510 looks like inside.

Thanks for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I've owned both the 510 and the 507 systems.  As I recall the basic sensors for both have the same configuration.  There's an outer security case and you remove the 3 screws to take the outer case off.  It does NOT open up the sensor itself.  Lots of people remove the security shells and use the sensors without them.  Once you've removed the security cover you can unscrew the case to replace the battery.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

59 minutes ago, docj said:

I've owned both the 510 and the 507 systems.  As I recall the basic sensors for both have the same configuration.  There's an outer security case and you remove the 3 screws to take the outer case off.  It does NOT open up the sensor itself.  Lots of people remove the security shells and use the sensors without them.  Once you've removed the security cover you can unscrew the case to replace the battery.

Hi Doc,

Thank you for the answer. This is going to be a big help.

6 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone has taken apart TST 510 sensor ? I have looked on line but have found nothing about the 510 sensor. I know that the 507 sensor is held together with 3 screws. I also understand that I would have to cut off the outside cover on the 510 sensor. The big question is, if the outside cover is removed on the 510 can the sensor still be used ? Is there any weather protection without the outside cover ? I would like to see a picture of what the 510 looks like inside.

Thanks for any input,
Al

Accessing the 510 sensor battery takes cutting your way in, pretty much destroying the sensor. Basically, the 510 sensors need to be destroyed, where the 507 sensors are easy to take apart for battery replacement. A call to TST inquiring about replacement sensors may get you an offer for a 507 system that you can't refuse. That's what happened to me several years ago...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

8 hours ago, docj said:

I have an old TST 510 set I bought years ago, batteries all dead. I'm going to try your tick Doc, thanks.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I have an old TST 510 set I bought years ago, batteries all dead. I'm going to try your tick Doc, thanks.

Hi Ray,

I be interested in knowing what you find out. The big question is, where is the best place to start a cut. Knowing me, I would pick the wrong place.  😄  I was thinking about starting a cut at the very top of the sensor. Hoping there would be room between the security case and the sensor itself. Another key would to be writing down the code of that sensor and make your own code to sensor part that is left.

15 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Accessing the 510 sensor battery takes cutting your way in, pretty much destroying the sensor. Basically, the 510 sensors need to be destroyed, where the 507 sensors are easy to take apart for battery replacement. A call to TST inquiring about replacement sensors may get you an offer for a 507 system that you can't refuse. That's what happened to me several years ago...

Hi Dutch,

I got a hold of TST over a year ago or more about what kind of deal they could work out with me about my old 510 sensors. As it turned out it was cheaper for me buy a new system. I also find out that buying a system from TST direct is not the best deal either. 

I don't believe that the security cap make the sensor weather proof. I was hoping the internals of the 510 look like the 507 sensor.

8 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Dutch,

I got a hold of TST over a year ago or more about what kind of deal they could work out with me about my old 510 sensors. As it turned out it was cheaper for me buy a new system. I also find out that buying a system from TST direct is not the best deal either. 

I don't believe that the security cap make the sensor weather proof. I was hoping the internals of the 510 look like the 507 sensor.

The 510 sensor internals are not the same as the 507 internals. For starters, the cap does not just unscrew like the 507. I destroyed 2 sensors before I gave up and bought the 507. And I do not give up on things like that easily... :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

12 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Ray,

I be interested in knowing what you find out. The big question is, where is the best place to start a cut. Knowing me, I would pick the wrong place.  😄  I was thinking about starting a cut at the very top of the sensor. Hoping there would be room between the security case and the sensor itself. Another key would to be writing down the code of that sensor and make your own code to sensor part that is left.

I have 4 old sensors in the system I bought in 2005. I know the first attempt will fail, it will be my training exercise to learn how they are assembled. I'm hoping I'm able to start on it around April 13, I have gall bladder surgery the 9th. Removing the security cap is the easy part, TST tells how.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

16 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The 510 sensor internals are not the same as the 507 internals. For starters, the cap does not just unscrew like the 507. I destroyed 2 sensors before I gave up and bought the 507. And I do not give up on things like that easily... :)

Hi Dutch,    Thank you for the heads up. I was hoping that the sensor would unscrew like the 507.