HDT Registration and Insurance

MoneyMakeranch

Newby here trying to get a new to me HDT to Texas, I have found all the paperwork needed to get the truck registered as a RV/Motorhome but like everyone else having problems with insurance people. they don't want to talk without a CDL license even though I tell them it’s not for commercial use. as soon as I can get a date to get my class A exempt upgrade, I’ll be legal on that part but the insurance is the only hang up. I searched thru all the past posted and run into a wall on it.   Any HELP on this would be greatly appreciated for all you that have been thru this before and the correct things to tell them when talking to them. sorry this sounds like a rant but just down on trying to get insurance.

Moneyman

2 minutes ago, MoneyMakeranch said:

HERO Maker  my personal truck and car is with Texas farm Bureau  and my home is in Texas

Do they offer to cover the ins for a short time on new purchase?  I wouldn't ask them, just read your policy.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Currently towing with a 2015 F350 dually and a 43ft toy hauler.  whole rigs comes in a around 32k so I know my class C isn't enough license in Texas, the truck will do everything I want it to but, wanting the creature comforts and most important, THE BRAKES to get it stopped!!!  getting ready for retirement soon so got to get things in line.     

Each state is different and sometimes you may need to try multiple agents as not all know how to do it. 

If they say you need a CDL, show them where you state rules say you do not if you are not doing anything commercial with it. 

We have State Farm which we had when we lived in MN. When we moved to SC the agent here did not know how to do it and had to go contact the agent in MN to figure it out. In MN we could drive it on our regulate car license as long as it was registered as a motorhome (which it was) in South Carolina I have to have a Class F license which is a motorhome pulling a trailer where combined weight is over 26k#. Surprisingly, the wife can drive just the truck with her regular license as it is still a motorhome but under 26k# by itself.

Dave

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

18 hours ago, geodog1 said:

417-887-4990 ext 4405

That is American National home office in Springfield, MO.

Shortyo

Called that ext and got the voicemail for someone named Chuck

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

2 hours ago, rollinbrian said:

Called that ext and got the voicemail for someone named Chuck

But the main office gave me a number for local agent and 15 min later we're insured as a motorhome at much better rates than Progressive's commercial insurance.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

23 hours ago, MoneyMakeranch said:

progressive will not talk to me without a cdl.

Then find a different agent. You do not need a cdl for a non commercial vehicle.  Texan Ins in Pasadena got my policy through Progressive. Stop giving them "extra" information, although you may have ruined that possibility through Progressive already. Dont say "I'm buying a commercial truck to convert". Tell them you are buying a large truck, class 8 if they insist...period

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Then find a different agent. You do not need a cdl for a non commercial vehicle.  Texan Ins in Pasadena got my policy through Progressive. Stop giving them "extra" information, although you may have ruined that possibility through Progressive already. Dont say "I'm buying a commercial truck to convert". Tell them you are buying a large truck, class 8 if they insist...period

Phil, thought I remembered you staying you went with Farm Bureau commercial policy for noncommercial use.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1