Ohio insurance

rickeieio

If anyone out there is licensed/insured in Ohio, I'd like to hear about your insurance provider.  We're upgrading the truck, and Progressive says I need a full bathroom for a motorhome.   Ohio requires bed, fridge, oven, and dining table for motorhome, but so far, the Progressive folks aren't agreeing, nor even reading their own book on requirements.  Item 14-b of their motorhome policy clearly says a vehicle pulling a rv trailer is okay without all the other items.  Lady on the other end of the phone won't listen, just sounds like a broken record saying I need a full bathroom.  When I asked her to define bathroom, she just said "with plumbing and stuff."

Before you answer, I already tried Miller Insurance and for Ohio, they say no bobtailing with any of their underwriters.  Not acceptable.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick,

Talk to a Shelter insurance agent, they serve Ohio.

I pay just about 1000.00 a year for my truck, commercial policy no strings 1 million liability 30K on the truck

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I know I'm not in Ohio but have you tried state farm? That's who I have. They consider it a personal passenger vehicle. $70 bucks a month for full coverage.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Rick,

We live on a farm but aren't actively farming, we lease the ground now but still have a small farm policy to cover the outbuildings, equipment, THE invaluable rusty 2000 F350 and the Volvo Motor/home. I assume you are still living on the farm but aren't actively farming.  If so maybe you could put it on a small farm policy.  We did this a few years ago and found it easier with no restrictions on bobtailing.  The 2 trucks cost around $1500 with Auto Owners.  The only issue with Auto Owners is they want to write all of your insurance (personal as well).  It was a PAIN in the A double S to change everything over to Auto Owners but it saved us a Ton of money this year.....we will see how long the savings last....they have set the hook and are reeling us in.

Good Luck

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Thanks all.  First, I'm going to call Lazy Days RV/Progressive back and hope I get a different person.  When we bought our truck 11 years ago, they were very helpful, but I'm hoping the girl I talked to this time was simply out of her realm of expertise.

Yes, we're technically "on the farm", as our house is included in the policy with the rest of our holdings.  The underwriter will write the truck but either as commercial, or farm, with a 150 mile travel radius.  After 35+ years with this insurance company, I'm not anxious to switch.  They take very good care of us.

I'm guessing the "Millers" Denver suggested is not related to Millers in Oregon?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Correct. It is not the same. The Millers in Grand Rapids, Ohio is a locally run business that uses common sense when it comes to insurance. They insured our rig as a MH at no problem. As long as it says MH on the title, no worries...

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

On 3/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, rickeieio said:

Thanks all.  First, I'm going to call Lazy Days RV/Progressive back and hope I get a different person.  When we bought our truck 11 years ago, they were very helpful, but I'm hoping the girl I talked to this time was simply out of her realm of expertise.

Yes, we're technically "on the farm", as our house is included in the policy with the rest of our holdings.  The underwriter will write the truck but either as commercial, or farm, with a 150 mile travel radius.  After 35+ years with this insurance company, I'm not anxious to switch.  They take very good care of us.

I'm guessing the "Millers" Denver suggested is not related to Millers in Oregon?

Any update on the saga?

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Yup.  Not encouraging.  I keep getting the same person at Lazy Days, and she won't budge.  I even asked her to read line 14 out of the policy book.  She got to the part about bathroom and wouldn't read any further.  I asked her to read the rest, but she kept going back.  I think she's one who doesn't like to admit if they're wrong.

My local agent that has all our other business is coming up empty.

The agency Denver listed says the only way they can do it is through Progressive because I have an Indiana drivers license and the rig is plated in Ohio.

Finally, the company Steve suggested called back today,and the agent said he'd likely have to go through Progressive, as they've not been in Ohio for very long, not all of their product line is available here.  So, Steve, if you could give me the name of your agent, this local guy would like to ask him some specifics.  I'm getting a little frustrated.  We pick up the new truck tomorrow, but with commercial insurance, for now.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick,

As noted in my first response, my insurance policy IS commercial.

My agent in Kansas is Renner Insurance Wichita 

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Rick. We have Farm Bureau insurance. Our policy states the same 150 miles. Talked to my agent this week. He assures me that this is only a stated mileage to keep costs low. He states that I am covered no matter where I am at. At this point I trust him. The farm policy keeps us pretty reasonable. My agent is my neighbor, and a trusted friend. Not sure this helps, or makes any difference. Hope to see you at the rally. Mark

truck.jpg

Thanks Steve, I'll pass it on.

Mark, we had Farm Bureau until we switched in about '84.  We saved a several thousand$/yr by switching, and got better coverage.  My FB agent was a neighbor and cousin. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 3/22/2021 at 6:54 PM, rickeieio said:

If anyone out there is licensed/insured in Ohio, I'd like to hear about your insurance provider.  We're upgrading the truck, and Progressive says I need a full bathroom for a motorhome.   Ohio requires bed, fridge, oven, and dining table for motorhome, but so far, the Progressive folks aren't agreeing, nor even reading their own book on requirements.  Item 14-b of their motorhome policy clearly says a vehicle pulling a rv trailer is okay without all the other items.  Lady on the other end of the phone won't listen, just sounds like a broken record saying I need a full bathroom.  When I asked her to define bathroom, she just said "with plumbing and stuff."

Before you answer, I already tried Miller Insurance and for Ohio, they say no bobtailing with any of their underwriters.  Not acceptable.  

Not sure if this helps you or not.

But... we were with Blue Sky Insurance (844) 747-9320; which was in Ohio, Copeka I believe.  They changed their policies around a bit so we switched away from them, but they were great to deal with on the HDT and I believe they offer those policies again. 

I'm not in Ohio, but that is who we used for coverages for a few years before switching to Progressive RV.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Thanks. So far, I've called several agencies, and only one has called back, to tell me he couldn't write it.  I'm covered for now, with commercial insurance, until we get the truck legally converted.  At that point, I'll call Progressive again and hope I get someone else, who actually knows what it says in their own policy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

FYI on Progressive

My local agent who can write Progressive (and who I already had Progressive as a carrier) couldn't cover my HDT but the non local agent was able to cover the HDT.  When I received the paperwork my local agent's Progressive policies just said 'Progressive' and the other agents policies said 'Progressive RV'.  When I asked my local agent about it he said he didn't know what 'Progressive RV' was, but he wasn't able to write those same policies.

Anyway, the end result for me was that my RV policies which I had before on 'Progressive' dropped significantly in cost and the HDT was able to be covered (as a motorhome) under 'Progressive RV'.  My path (which was explained to the agent) was to purchase HDT out of state, drive it home under a 'Progressive RV' policy, then register in my home state as a MH (it was previously registered as a private truck in a different state then where it was being sold, the bill of sale didn't specify license type, I left with 30 day drive off sticker).

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

That's pretty much been my experience.  My local agent swears he can write any Progressive policy, except he really can't.  There seem to very few agencies that write Progressive RV, and unfortunately, Lazy Days has at least one phone person who has a rectal/cranial inversion.  I've been given the name of another person in that office who understands what we're doing.  I will advise when I find out more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN