Adding Two Seats for Children in Kenworth T2000

dirtrunner0519

Hi All, 

I have a Kenworth T2000 that we are converted to a Toterhome. We will have a full living quarters in the box behind the cab.

We removed the interior of the Cab and now only have two seats up front. I would like to add two seats with air ride so i can install the booster for one and a car seat for the other. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone done this?

IMG_1758.JPG

Edited by dirtrunner0519

Big washer on the outside of the floor, it's a honeycomb structure. Seal holes well, the floor will fall apart with moisture. Did you remove the heater/AC box? Air ride needs to have the belts mounted to the seat first, with slack loop to the floor, so the occupants don't get sausaged by the seat moving up and down. Look at the factory seats.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We have not removed the heat/ac box yet. I am waiting see if it will mess with the layout before i do. All the cabinets fridge and two bunks have been removed. 

I was going to use this for the car seats. Amazon.com: Carrfan Car Child Safety Seat Mount Bracket, Universal Steel Latch for ISOFIX Belt Connector Restraint Anchor Mounting Kit: Automotive in lieu of the L-Track. 

Entire box and cab will be getting spray foam. Floors will be getting an epoxy seal coating to seal all the cracks etc. 

I will start a build thread here shortly. Still trying to gather parts. 

If you have an air ride cab, for kids I don't think I would put air ride seats in. Regular seats should work just fine. My wife doesn't put any air in her seat unless she is trying to block the sun. She is short and does not like her legs just hanging there. I do not think kids would weigh enough to get a better ride.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

31 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

If you have an air ride cab, for kids I don't think I would put air ride seats in. Regular seats should work just fine. My wife doesn't put any air in her seat unless she is trying to block the sun. She is short and does not like her legs just hanging there. I do not think kids would weigh enough to get a better ride.

That is a very good thought, didn't even think of the weight. However when they get older they will want it nice and plush. Wonder if I should weight to spend the money later then. 

Edited by dirtrunner0519

1 minute ago, dirtrunner0519 said:

That is a very good thought, didn't even think of the weight. However when they get older they will want it nice and plush. Wonder if I should weight to spend the money later then. 

I would wait. When they get older, you will be adding more stuff, like TVs, ipads, windows,  stuff like that just so they keep occupied. Have fun.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I pulled out the lower bunk in my T2000 and installed a bench seat.  I know this isn't an option for you with the door to the rear box being in the middle of the back wall of the sleeper.  The bench seat framework is just bolted through the floor of the sleeper with large fender washers on both sides.  It has been that way for 8 years with no ill effects.  It is not air ride and has been used by many people as a travel seating position.  No one has complained about not having air ride back there.  The rear of the sleeper has more suspension built into it than the front of the cab where the seats are by design.  Think of the over the road truckers working teams and driving around the clock while one of them sleeps in back.  They do that without any kind of air suspension in the bunks.  I do not think you need air seats back there from my perspective. 

See the link in my signature for some basic pictures of the interior of my truck's sleeper.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Do not remove the AC back there. Your kids will cook in the summer and freeze in the winter. You dont really need air ride back there. You have the cab shocks. The bunk rides way better than the front seats. I too the front seats out of a couple early 2000s Chevy trucks with built in seat belts. They still slide back and forth and recline. Slid all they way ahead there is a ton of room behind them. You can fit 3 across there. I did have to raise them up a little bit to make them comfortable for adults. I paid $50 apiece for the seats. This pic is not the finished product but a test fit.

ysemwB3l.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.