I10 FL to TX condiotion and the camping glut

agesilaus

OK after seeing a number of comments on the condition of I10 from FL west I watched the road surface condition as we drove from N. Florida to the San Antonio area. Based on a 4 point scale with 4 good and 1 awful I'd give FL and AL both 4's, MS a 3 except for bridges and of course LA a 2 at best with a 1 in some areas. The west section tho was more like a 3. TX as always is a 1 in cities so far and a 2.5 on open road mainly because of all the poorly done patching. We will be following it to NM next week.

Campground over crowding: So far we actually were turned down at the first camp we tried in the west FL panhandle, but got a spot right across 1-10. Even that was rather full but I suspect the snowbird migration north has started. No problem in LA with plenty of empty spots and the camp outside Houston was mostly empty.

The COE park we are in had at least 6 or 7 empties in this loop but maybe folks came in very late.

One really odd partking lot at a Walmart in LA near the TX border. They hung 6 inch I-Beams (no flimsy pvc pipe here) above the entrances to their parking lot forcing RV's around to the back entrance. No obvious reason, no low roofs or overhangs. The Murphy gas station had maybe 15 foot roofing and the RV's ended up exactly where they would have anyway?