Kwikee steps

Kstar

Journey 2013 MH, Kwickee steps go in and out but...when motorhome off and we turn the switch off to pull in the steps (working outside and need the space) the steps pull in and out quickly and jitter.  Opening or closing door doesn't stop the action.  Turning the switch back on does stop it but step remains out.  Suggestions?

Thanks

Debbie and Mark Ford

SKP #32722

In mine there is a "plunger" button that the door pushes in when closed.  When it worked loose it caused problems.  You might see if that is loose or if you can tell by pushing it in by hand, if it works right. Perhaps it isn't being fully engaged by the door closing.  Sorry - all I know.

These steps do not have a manual off/on switch, the motor starts/stops exactly like a power window, the controller senses a sharp rise in motor amperage draw and turns off power.The only "switch" is the magnetic contacts on the screen door and on the wall next to the screen door.

Kwikee states to lubricate all piviot points monthly for proper operation, how long since you lubricated the steps moving joints?

reference: Kwikee Service Training Manual for all models.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There is an over-ride switch that allows the step to be in the closed position when the engine is off and door closed.  When the door is opened the step goes out (safety measure, I guess)  That is the switch that is causing the erratic step operation. 

Debbie and Mark Ford

SKP #32722

30 minutes ago, Kstar said:

There is an over-ride switch that allows the step to be in the closed position when the engine is off and door closed. 

If your step is like the Kwikee steps that I have had, that switch is next to the door and allows the step to remain extended when the door is closed and the engine not running. 

Am I understanding correctly that the step runs continuously with that switch in the extended position and extends then retracts and extends again over and over?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, that is the switch.  With engine off, switch in over-ride mode (should retract step when door closes) the step comes in, then clunk, clunk, clunk - not really in and out, just jitters.  Did find out that a good swift kick temporarily solves the problem.  Will crawl under tomorrow, clean, lube, wiggle wires etc.

Thanks

Debbie and Mark Ford

SKP #32722

10 hours ago, Kstar said:

Will crawl under tomorrow, clean, lube, wiggle wires etc.

I'll be interested to hear more. I have worked on quite a few of the Kwikee steps but can't recall ever seeing what you describe. Since the Kwikee does turn off on a current rise, that probably plays a part but I don't understand the reversing.....

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 6 months later...

When you have automatic RV steps but they do not retract, the switches for the door & the door frame are not aligned correctly.
Moreover, the cause may be the override switch that makes the steps remain extended while the RV’s parked. To fix this, check and turn the control switch to the auto position.

K-Star, any progress to report?

johnpeters, re-aligning the magnetic switch and magnet did solve my staying out problem. Kwikee does not use a rotary switch to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 year later...

The reasons why your RV step is not functioning or retracting all the way are listed below, albeit they may not address all of them.

• The ground wire may be loose or filthy.
  • The fuse for the controller has blown.
  • The motor needs to be reset by giving it a little tap with a rubber mallet since its brushes became loose and caused it to seize.
  • The power connector plugs that feed the motor are soiled or loose.
  • The magnetic switch behind the door was either misaligned or had a loose connection.
  • The pivots on the steps structure need to be lubricated since they are rusted or dusty.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:46 PM, Robert Ben said:

The reasons why your RV step is not functioning or retracting all the way are listed below, albeit they may not address all of them.

• The ground wire may be loose or filthy.
  • The fuse for the controller has blown.
  • The motor needs to be reset by giving it a little tap with a rubber mallet since its brushes became loose and caused it to seize.
  • The power connector plugs that feed the motor are soiled or loose.
  • The magnetic switch behind the door was either misaligned or had a loose connection.
  • The pivots on the steps structure need to be lubricated since they are rusted or dusty.

If he hasn't repaired it within the past 21 months, It's likely he never will.

Edited by Ray,IN