Affidavit Of Domicile?

aztex

Hi,

Using the Escapees checklist here in Livingston I was completing my Texas domicile and called Loring and Assc. about affidavit of domicile.

They said not necessary.... Didn't even ask my situation.... They charge $160 for this seemingly simple bit of paper work so leaning towards their advice BUT I'm leaving town in a few days and better make sure I do it right and not have second thoughts!

Should I do the affidavit? What are the advantages?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, aztex said:

Should I do the affidavit? What are the advantages?

The advantage would come if you should ever be challenged about your domicile. Most people never have that arise but it could. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I got mine nearly 6 years ago after selling all my fixed assets. I was full time but had a daughter in Texas so with reality my Domicile would be Texas.

Since that day I have remarried to a lady with fixed assets in the land of taxes so I Trust I'm prepared just in case.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Not sure about TX but I have the So Dakota Escapees address. When I went in to get my drivers license the DMV had a form Affidavit of Domicile for me to sign. It was their form, no lawyer needed.  I just signed it and they gave me my license. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

When we got our Texas residency the proof of domicile was easy. The tags on the vehicles, which you have to have before getting drivers license, counted as one. Two was proof of insurance from a Texas insurance agency, insurance is required by law. We had a backup as well in the rental agreement for a storage unit here in Texas. Vehicle tags were easy and the DL was almost as easy leaving aside the long wait to get it due to COVID.   

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

6 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

The tags on the vehicles, which you have to have before getting drivers license, counted as one. Two was proof of insurance from a Texas insurance agency, insurance is required by law.

That's interesting.  Are you saying that in Texas you have to own a vehicle before you can get a driver's license?

Just now, durangodon said:

That's interesting.  Are you saying that in Texas you have to own a vehicle before you can get a driver's license?

Interesting question that I can't answer. I just know that we had to get the vehicles inspected and tagged prior to getting a DL. I would suppose there might be some other route to a DL but I am not sure what it would be. To me it felt backwards. Other places we have lived was get your DL and then you had so much time to get the vehicles tagged. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

15 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Absolutely not.  But if you do own a vehicle, you must show proof of registration (which requires inspection) and proof of insurance for each vehicle. If you do not own a vehicle, you sign a statement stating that. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

41 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Are you saying that in Texas you have to own a vehicle before you can get a driver's license?

From the TX DPS website....

How to Apply for a Texas Driver License

The Department issues driver licenses valid for up to eight years to Texas residents 18 years of age and older. The Texas Driver’s Handbook is available online to help you qualify for a Texas driver license. You will need to provide proof of the following to apply for a driver license:

U.S. Citizenship or, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, evidence of lawful presence

Texas Residency

Identity, and

Social Security Number

Evidence of Texas Vehicle Registration* for each vehicle you own. Registration must be current. Visit Texas DMV vehicle registration for more information (New Residents who are surrendering an out-of-state driver license only)

Proof of Insurance** for each vehicle you own

* Evidence of Texas Vehicle Registration is currently waived through April 14, 2021 due to COVID-19.

**If you do not own a vehicle, you will sign a statement affirming this.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI