What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

I had a bracket on the back of my truck from the Owner Operators Satellite communication device I assume. Then there was another one on the drom box. If I find photos of either before I moved, removed or repurposed I'll try and post here. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed out my rear suspension leveling valve.  I'd relocated it  when I mounted the ET hitch, and put it where it would be accessible later.  Well, mostly. One of the lines was pulled pretty tight, and I knocked it loose.  Had to enlist smaller hands to reach through and install a longer line.  (Thank you, Susan.)

I have the old valve soaking so I can dismantle it tomorrow, in hopes of making it usable as a spare.  KW is proud of that rascal, at $154.00.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I bob tailed to the truck and RV warsh and warshed under the hood and exterior. 

Parked him in the heated shop over night. Got going in good time this a.m. before the shop owner needed the bay to change fuel filters, coolant filter, do a careful and complete greasing of the fittings, and clean the windows. 

3 things remained true to the Laws of Maintenance: 

The grease gun was empty when I picked it up. 

Dirt knocked out of a U-joint does not accelerate directly towards the center of the earth. It will bend in trajectory slightly to get on the safety glasses and in the one ear. 

I use a motorsports foot valve siphon hose to fill the fuel filters out of a tank on the truck. Yes, it is made out of chitty plastic tubing. Which invokes the Universal Law: Any fluid transferred inside plastic tubing/garden hose WILL end up on one shoe and sometimes a pant leg ...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I used to share my shop with other family members.  One was notorious for using a grease gun untilit was empty and going for another one.....  I have at least 6-8 grease guns.  Most times, all were empty.

And then, he'd go to Tractor Surprise and buy the cheapest clay based grease on sale and throw a few tubes in the lube dep't.

He no longer has a key.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I used to share my shop with other family members.  One was notorious for using a grease gun untilit was empty and going for another one.....  I have at least 6-8 grease guns.  Most times, all were empty.

And then, he'd go to Tractor Surprise and buy the cheapest clay based grease on sale and throw a few tubes in the lube dep't.

He no longer has a key.

My cousin helps out once in a while. He gets more grease on the floor, himself, and the gun than he does whatever it is I have him greasing.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Since have made the decision to head south this winter I have several things to do, to get back into travel mode again.

Last July I changed oil and filter in the truck. I greased the truck two weeks ago. Then Tuesday I installed a new primer pump on the generator. The generator needs a primer pump to get fuel from the 25 gallon gas tank that since behind the cab to the generator on the deck. The supply line goes up the ramp support for the Jeep and then down to the generator. So without the primer pump it cam be hard to start the generator easily. I also had to install a new primer/ start switch on the dash to operate the generator remotely from the cab. Old switch stuck with primer on?   It expired the old fuel pump.

We have had our doctors ok to go south, although I do need to see a eye doctor every 8 weeks 

Vern

I put on my commercial fifth wheel and temporarily removed my ET hitch. Thanks Henry for the pics and directions. Hooked up to my new to me 48ft moving van loaded with most of our stuff and drove from Washington state to Florida unloaded and came back. What a long drive only have to do it one more time next year in the spring.

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

This has been the summer-fall-and approaching winter of truck repair.  

First was a front end rebuild, king pins, bearings, all new brake parts, couple of tie rod ends, and new steers.

Second was a new clutch, rear engine/front transmission mount, new input shaft, rear engine seal.

Third was a Cummins ECM.... yea... can't get that part... but Midwest ECM is a great company to deal with.

Fourth and final has been a rebuild of the trucks separate house battery system.  Its always had a separate AC/DC system to power the fridge, microwave, 2 outlets, and to run power to the RV.  The 2002 era Zantrex inverter finally died.  So with needing a new inverter, charger, etc. I've pulled out all the old and am in the process installing the new.  Instead of putting it back in the original old locations, all the electronics parts are going in the jockey box area with the extra batteries in the truck bed storage.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I arrived at my winter parking place and once I got it in the spot, unhooked the batteries and flipped my switch so the ECM isn't powered until I want it to be and it will sit like that for at least a few days. It's also near empty of fuel. Can't decide if I want to try and drain the tank my old "Pony Pack" was used for fuel by removing the bottom bung and putting in a twist valve. I've always been sort of worried about someone turning it to drain some fuel and then just letting it drip. 

Bought fuel in South Dakota at $2.99 in Kansas for $3,65 and it's almost $3.80 here. Will wait a bit before filling up. Maybe spring. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Cleaned battery terminals, battery disconnect switch terminals, the copper crimped wire ends, and a ground post below the steering column.  I have a “data link hardware failure” message that looks like it’s here to stay.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

13 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Cleaned battery terminals, battery disconnect switch terminals, the copper crimped wire ends, and a ground post below the steering column.  I have a “data link hardware failure” message that looks like it’s here to stay.

Sculptor your camp guest accomodations there are cool. 

Weird electrical problem, has weird solution.  Fuse F3 and F4 are driver and passenger window respectively.  With fuses pulled, there was no current on either leg of either socket.  Both fuses have resistance.  Pulled F2, and it has 12 volts on one leg.  Now check F3 & F4 and they both have 12 volts. 
One of those legs is a common bar.  Why when F2 is pulled, do F3-F4 suddenly work?  I may never know.  

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

3 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Weird electrical problem, has weird solution.  Fuse F3 and F4 are driver and passenger window respectively.  With fuses pulled, there was no current on either leg of either socket.  Both fuses have resistance.  Pulled F2, and it has 12 volts on one leg.  Now check F3 & F4 and they both have 12 volts. 
One of those legs is a common bar.  Why when F2 is pulled, do F3-F4 suddenly work?  I may never know.  

My guess is you have a poor connection upstream of those fuses limiting the voltage/current when F2 load is applied.  However, if your windows are working normal with F2 pulled, makes me doubt my guess.  What is F2 size & load?

With F2 pulled, I’d measure the voltage at the fuse block when you operate the windows.  If it drops significantly, it strengthens my guess.

Good luck!

edit note . . . looked at some 2013 Volvo schematics out of curiosity.  Couldn’t find one with same fuse id’s but probably uses same controls. Appears the data bus is involved with the door controls so guess 2 would be F2 somehow plays a roll in causing the door data bus to be inoperative. More good luck!

Edited by Jim & Wilma

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Yesterday I tried to start the truck. It was about 45 degrees outside so I tried it. Not turning over fast enough. So I plugged it in to the block heater. And then then checked the batteries voltage, 11.9 volts. Not good. The truck sits plugged into the 5thwheel by an umbilical cord. I did not want to check to see if the umbilical cord power was good. I know it would not take long. But I did want to put new spark plugs in the generator on the truck. So with new plugs in the generator I started the generator  and plugged in the on board converter. About 20 minutes later the truck started.

So this am I will check the batteries for voltage. Now it maybe 6or7 years since there were new batteries installed in this truck. So I am shopping for batteries. I also will see if the inline fuse for the umbilical cord is good.

But batteries would be a good thing to do, I do believe 

40 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

Yesterday I tried to start the truck. It was about 45 degrees outside so I tried it. Not turning over fast enough. So I plugged it in to the block heater. And then then checked the batteries voltage, 11.9 volts. Not good. The truck sits plugged into the 5thwheel by an umbilical cord. I did not want to check to see if the umbilical cord power was good. I know it would not take long. But I did want to put new spark plugs in the generator on the truck. So with new plugs in the generator I started the generator  and plugged in the on board converter. About 20 minutes later the truck started.

So this am I will check the batteries for voltage. Now it maybe 6or7 years since there were new batteries installed in this truck. So I am shopping for batteries. I also will see if the inline fuse for the umbilical cord is good.

But batteries would be a good thing to do, I do believe 

Hi Vern - around here best price for heavy truck batteries Grp 31 is at heavy truck dealers. 

1 hour ago, Jim & Wilma said:

My guess is you have a poor connection upstream of those fuses limiting the voltage/current when F2 load is applied.  However, if your windows are working normal with F2 pulled, makes me doubt my guess.  What is F2 size & load?

With F2 pulled, I’d measure the voltage at the fuse block when you operate the windows.  If it drops significantly, it strengthens my guess.

Good luck!

F2 is 25 amps. I don’t know how to measure the load. 
One thing I noticed, the fuse legs had a coating but not crust, just brown/orange color.  We threw that fuse and replaced. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

4 hours ago, Sculptor said:
56 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

F2 is 25 amps. I don’t know how to measure the load. 
One thing I noticed, the fuse legs had a coating but not crust, just brown/orange color.  We threw that fuse and replaced. 

I should have asked what system does F2 serve?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I have had good luck with Super Start batteries from Oreilys auto parts. I even have 3  8d sealed lead acid batteries for our inverter. 4 years ago they were 207 bucks apiece compared to over 700 for agm batteries from Northern Arizona wind and sun. Northern Arizona wind and sun did not have any in stock or I was near enough to drive there and buy 3 of them.

so will check on availability tomorrow am..

really thinking tonight,    Vern

I put the truck up on jack stands to help find the vibration. I think its in the rear end its self. I put it in 10th gear and let it idle. Speedometer said 35 mph. The rear end was making noise. Kind of a lot of noise. It only vibrates when I crest the top of a hill with he cruise on. That moment when everything is freewheeling and when I'm bobtail going 70+.  I only put on 5000 miles a year. I dont think I am going to worry about it right now. I have enough friends with trucks torn apart I may be able to find a good rear end sooner or later for little of nothing.

I also found the rear seal in the transmission leaking. 🤦‍♂️

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.