Yosemite

rynosback

I was there in about late April 1999 and stayed in the "boondocks" which was just on the asphalt  but such a beautiful park  and so near the clubhouse with showers it was fine. The people there then were all fantastic. Of course  that was over 20yrs ago.  With covid they might not have the clubhouse open and I would check with them to make sure they are allowing outside travelers in. I am educated remembering and may have been even the first of May but my point was they had a pretty good snow storm and they were not letting people in the park without snow chains. I lucked out a little in that I got in on the last day before I had to leave so I got to do mostly a limited drive through. I did hike up to one of the famous trees that wasn't a long trail that took much time. I would say if you are there long enough and the weather cooperates it is a reasonable way to access the park.  Like a lot of places now with more people rving it could be a lot more traffic than when I was there and I would keep that in mind.  I am sure you will get other replies with more up to date information but this is at least my experience and might be useful.

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I was there in about late April 1999 and stayed in the "boondocks" which was just on the asphalt  but such a beautiful park  and so near the clubhouse with showers it was fine. The people there then were all fantastic. Of course  that was over 20yrs ago.  With covid they might not have the clubhouse open and I would check with them to make sure they are allowing outside travelers in. I am educated remembering and may have been even the first of May but my point was they had a pretty good snow storm and they were not letting people in the park without snow chains. I lucked out a little in that I got in on the last day before I had to leave so I got to do mostly a limited drive through. I did hike up to one of the famous trees that wasn't a long trail that took much time. I would say if you are there long enough and the weather cooperates it is a reasonable way to access the park.  Like a lot of places now with more people rving it could be a lot more traffic than when I was there and I would keep that in mind.  I am sure you will get other replies with more up to date information but this is at least my experience and might be useful.

Thanks. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

The park is great!  You didn't say when you're going but activities might not be held due to Covid.  Contact the park to get updated rental info.  Enjoy your stay!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

12 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

The park is great!  You didn't say when you're going but activities might not be held due to Covid.  Contact the park to get updated rental info.  Enjoy your stay!

Most everything is shut down still. I can play Pickle-ball as they have an outside court. The drive seems really far into the park. Am I mapping that wrong or missing something? Going to be there in a month. Should be Spring time in the park then.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Are you referring to the drive after you enter Yosemite?   I almost said that my memory felt like it was fairly far but being so long ago I was unsure of my memory.  I did not think it was far from SKP co-op to the entry of Yosemite. The part inside the park seemed a little long but that is relative.  I think I drove out a different entry just to see that area and entrance. I did a few stops but not many and not long as I only had the one day and under the circumstances I am glad I did it that way but it would not be my first choice if I had more time for sure.

Here are some reviews of the park which may give you a better feeling of it along with a few photos.  The campsites aren't like an asphalt RV park. The sites have character.   I don't think a 1-2 hr. drive to get to the floor of Yosemite is too far. Yosemite is huge and even after getting to the entrance from any direction, you'll have a long drive to the 'hub' on the valley floor.  Everything is far from it.  If you've ever been to Yellowstone it's the same way. It's huge and involves long drives. The only way to get closer would be to stay in Yosemite itself.  I think you'd enjoy Park Sierra!

https://www.campendium.com/park-of-the-sierras

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/california/coarsegold/park-of-the-sierras-escapees-park-6847

https://www.parkofthesierras.org/

Official Park Map... you'd be coming in on Hwy 41 from Fresno.  It's 60 miles from the park to the valley floor visitor center at Yosemite Falls/Half Dome area.  Google maps gives a time of 2 hours.  Lots of curves; traffic and plenty of places to stop and explore before getting down to the valley floor.

https://www.nps.gov/carto/hfc/carto/media/YOSEmap1.pdf

Here's the official park web site with lots of good information when you start clicking on the various headings such as 'Plan Your Visit' and 'Learning About the Park'. 

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/maps.htm

If you click on some of the pics you'll get a short video:  https://www.facebook.com/pg/skpparkofthesierras/posts/

Full-timed for 16 Years

2 hours ago, slackercruster said:

Last time I was there was the 1990's. It was jammed packed. Uncomfortably so. Any change in overcrowding? 

No change... in fact, worse.  We tried it once again two years ago and vowed never to return.... hard to even find a place to park a car.  Yosemite and Sedona, AZ are only the two places we'll never return... because of the crowds.

Having said that..... everyone needs to see both at least once.  

Full-timed for 16 Years

4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

No change... in fact, worse.  We tried it once again two years ago and vowed never to return.... hard to even find a place to park a car.  Yosemite and Sedona, AZ are only the two places we'll never return... because of the crowds.

Having said that..... everyone needs to see both at least once.  

I was lucky I think as it was early enough in the season along with almost basically being closed because without snow chain requirement. I have no doubt that prime time and weather would be a traffic nightmare.

I have a question of driving a 13' high MH into Yosemite but, based on the road restrictions for height there is no road that I could drive on. Am I correct on this? Thanks.

Here is the list I found:

Wawona Road
Continuation of Highway 41 inside the park
Maximum vehicle length: 45 feet (for single vehicles).
Height restrictions: Wawona Tunnel, into Yosemite Valley: 10 feet 2 inches at curb; from Yosemite Valley, 13
feet 6 inches at curb (the height of the tunnel at the white fogline is higher and California-legal vehicles are able
to drive through the tunnel while remaining in their lane).
Seasons: Open all year (chains may be required in winter).

El Portal Road
Continuation of Highway 140 inside the park
Maximum vehicle length: 45 feet for single vehicle, 60 feet for combination vehicle, 35 feet for towed vehicle
from hitch to rear bumper
Height restrictions: 12 feet 10 inches
Note: Highway 140 outside the park (between El Portal and Mariposa) can accommodate vehicles up to 45
feet long, effective June 27, 2008. The 28-foot total vehicle length limit will no longer be in effect beginning
June 27, 2008.

Big Oak Flat Road
Continuation of Highway 120 from the west into the park
Maximum vehicle length: 45 feet for single vehicle.
Height restrictions: tunnels, from Yosemite Valley: 10 feet 3 inches; into Yosemite Valley, 13 feet 8 inches (the
height of the tunnel at the white fogline is higher and California-legal vehicles are able to drive through the
tunnel while remaining in their lane).

Tioga Road
Continuation of Highway 120 through the park
Seasons: Closed from approximately November through May. Overnight parking is not permitted between
October 15 and the opening of the road in spring.
Read below for tips on pulling a trailer over Tioga Pass.
Vehicle Restrictions - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service) https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/restrictions.htm
3 of 5 3/19/2021, 3:27 PM
Glacier Point Road
Maximum vehicle length: Beyond Sentinel Dome/Taft Point trailhead, 30 feet for single vehicle, no trailers.
Buses longer than 30 feet or with capacity of 26 passengers or more are not permitted beyond the Badger
Pass Ski Area.
Seasons: Closed from approximately November through May (Badger Pass portion of the road is open from
approximately mid December through March). Overnight parking on the Glacier Point Road between Badger
Pass and Glacier Point is not permitted between October 15 and the opening of the road in spring.

Mariposa Grove Road
Maximum vehicle length: 25 feet; no trailers permitted.
Seasons: Closed approximately November to March or April. When open for the season, park and use the
free shuttle. Vehicles displaying disability placards are allowed any time when the road is open for the season.

• 2 months later...

it is now may 20 2021, a dry year, but forecast for "some" snow this weekend. the pass's are all closed.

might not be over crowded right now, but in a month it will be just like downtown in any city. to get around in Yosemite use a small car or motorcycle. and bring lots of money as everything sold there is way over priced. including entry.

Edited by packnrat

On 3/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, SWharton said:

I have a question of driving a 13' high MH into Yosemite but, based on the road restrictions for height there is no road that I could drive on. Am I correct on this? Thanks.

Here is the list I found:

Wawona Road
Continuation of Highway 41 inside the park
Maximum vehicle length: 45 feet (for single vehicles).
Height restrictions: Wawona Tunnel, into Yosemite Valley: 10 feet 2 inches at curb; from Yosemite Valley, 13
feet 6 inches at curb (the height of the tunnel at the white fogline is higher and California-legal vehicles are able
to drive through the tunnel while remaining in their lane)

El Portal Road
Continuation of Highway 140 inside the park
Maximum vehicle length: 45 feet for single vehicle, 60 feet for combination vehicle, 35 feet for towed vehicle
from hitch to rear bumper
Height restrictions: 12 feet 10 inches
Note: Highway 140 outside the park (between El Portal and Mariposa) can accommodate vehicles up to 45
feet long, effective June 27, 2008. The 28-foot total vehicle length limit will no longer be in effect beginning
June 27, 2008.

Big Oak Flat Road
Continuation of Highway 120 from the west into the park
Maximum vehicle length: 45 feet for single vehicle.
Height restrictions: tunnels, from Yosemite Valley: 10 feet 3 inches; into Yosemite Valley, 13 feet 8 inches (the
height of the tunnel at the white fogline is higher and California-legal vehicles are able to drive through the
tunnel while remaining in their lane)

Tioga Road
Continuation of Highway 120 through the park
Seasons: Closed from approximately November through May. Overnight parking is not permitted between
October 15 and the opening of the road in spring.
Read below for tips on pulling a trailer over Tioga Pass.
Vehicle Restrictions - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service) https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/restrictions.htm
3 of 5 3/19/2021, 3:27 PM
Glacier Point Road
Maximum vehicle length: Beyond Sentinel Dome/Taft Point trailhead, 30 feet for single vehicle, no trailers.
Buses longer than 30 feet or with capacity of 26 passengers or more are not permitted beyond the Badger
Pass Ski Area.
Seasons: Closed from approximately November through May (Badger Pass portion of the road is open from
approximately mid December through March). Overnight parking on the Glacier Point Road between Badger
Pass and Glacier Point is not permitted between October 15 and the opening of the road in spring.

Mariposa Grove Road
Maximum vehicle length: 25 feet; no trailers permitted.
Seasons: Closed approximately November to March or April. When open for the season, park and use the
free shuttle. Vehicles displaying disability placards are allowed any time when the road is open for the season.

You can enter Yosemite via Highway 140, Highway 120 or Highway 41.  Note the sections on tunnel clearances I highlighted above - the height at the fog line (the line at the edge of the lane) is high enough for CA height legal vehicles to pass.  CA's maximum legal height is 14' - beyond that you need an Oversize Load permit.   If your motorhome is 13' tall at the center mounted air conditioner it certainly will fit.

Whether you'd want to drive your motorhome into Yosemite Valley is a seperate question.  I wouldn't unless you're going to park it in one of the campgrounds and take your toad or a shuttle around the park.

Edited by Lou Schneider