Question about winterizing

MarkB

I've been reading the guidance on winterizing that is provided for my Motorhome and I am left with a couple of questions.

The guidance states to bypass the water heater and sure enough, I see a bypass position in my wet bay.  My question is if I bypass the water heater how are the lines that run to the water heater protected from freezing?  I understand to drain the water heater tank, but aren't there water lines that run from the wet bay to the water heater?

I see similar instructions for the ice maker, the instructions state to either bypass or turn off the supply to the refrigerator.  Same question, how are those lines then protected?  I presume if I turn it off there is still water in the line and if I disconnect it how do I get antifreeze in the line up to the point where its disconnected?  

Its a used motorhome and it came winterized and I noticed antifreeze in the freezer. so apparently they somehow got the antifreeze to run into the icemaker,  wondering now how to get it out?

Thanks,

Mark

6 minutes ago, MarkB said:

I understand to drain the water heater tank, but aren't there water lines that run from the wet bay to the water heater?

If you turn the valve to the winterize position before you drain the water heater it will drain the water from those lines as well. 

7 minutes ago, MarkB said:

Same question, how are those lines then protected?  I presume if I turn it off there is still water in the line and if I disconnect it how do I get antifreeze in the line up to the point where its disconnected?  

It would seem that they did somehow get antifreeze into the ice maker lines, but I never have done that. I just disconnect the lines from the shutoff valve and also from the water supply valve and then blow the water out with compressed air, using about 50# of pressure. If you use the refrigerator in freezing weather it is a good idea to shut the ice maker down and drain the lines to it. 

The only way that I know of to get the antifreeze out of those lines is to either blow it out or run water to fill the trays over and over until it is gone. Someone else may know of a better way.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The ice maker line is a straight drop from the ice maker. This pdf should explain the draining process and what happens if the ice maker water solenoid is not drained. There was no need for RV antifreeze to be in the ice maker mold tray, it is designed for freezing water anyway. The shut-off for the water supply should be underneath the kitchen sink, most are part of the water filter for drinking water spigot on kitchen sink.

To remove the antifreeze from the ice maker tray use a small kitchen baster squeeze syringe then soak up the rest with paper towels. Throw away the first dump of ice afterwards.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I may not be doing it correctly but this has worked for me for years.....

1) Bypass the hot water heater and drain the tank

2) Pump the pink stuff throughout the system until you see it coming out EVERY tap (takes a few gallons)

3) Follow the washing machine instructions for winterizing (essentially get the pink stuff into the drum and then let the machine pump it out)

4) Leave the pump on and connected to a jug of the pink stuff

5) Turn on the ice maker and let it make ice until the ice is pink (might take all night)

6) Turn off the pump and remove the jug of pink stuff

7) Pour pink stuff down ALL the drains

To de-winterize simply connect fresh water to the RV and (1) un-bypass the hot water heater (2) run all taps until clear, (3) make ice until it is NOT pink and (4) run the washing machine through one cycle

The washing machine is the primary reason for using the pink stuff because the only other way to winterize the machine is to remove it from the cabinet it is installed in and that is a real PAIN!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I do what lenp described.

I start with the farthest tap then work back through fixtures closest to the pump.

Then I low point drain pink out to a jug. Put that in the drains.

When you unwinterize remember to flush fresh water through the low points too. 12cc’s of pink sitting at a T in your system will flavor 500 cubic meters of water 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 3/14/2021 at 10:44 PM, lenp said:

I may not be doing it correctly but this has worked for me for years.....

1) Bypass the hot water heater and drain the tank

2) Pump the pink stuff throughout the system until you see it coming out EVERY tap (takes a few gallons)

3) Follow the washing machine instructions for winterizing (essentially get the pink stuff into the drum and then let the machine pump it out)

4) Leave the pump on and connected to a jug of the pink stuff

5) Turn on the ice maker and let it make ice until the ice is pink (might take all night)

6) Turn off the pump and remove the jug of pink stuff

7) Pour pink stuff down ALL the drains

To de-winterize simply connect fresh water to the RV and (1) un-bypass the hot water heater (2) run all taps until clear, (3) make ice until it is NOT pink and (4) run the washing machine through one cycle

The washing machine is the primary reason for using the pink stuff because the only other way to winterize the machine is to remove it from the cabinet it is installed in and that is a real PAIN!

Lenp

How do you freeze RV antifreeze?? The  simplest method of winterizing the ice maker lines and water solenoid is to remove all the feed lines from the solenoid, they drain by gravity. I've been using that method for almost 30 years without any damage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 3/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, Wrknrvr said:

First thing is your comfort working with 110 vac electric power. Is this a rv fridge or is it a residential fridge.

Let’s solve that first. So I am busy with doing stuff today. But I will check back later.

Vern in a T-shirt 

I am comfortable working with 110.  It is a residential refrigerator.

So if there is no outside access for the waterline. Then you must let the freezer cycle through over time. Several hours, day.

I always would look on the net how to trip the ice maker to cycle through. When it is done with a cycling through, dry out the water. Then cycle again.   Now I have seen a few fridges that needed 10 or more cycles to get antifreeze into the ice maker tray. I have also seen a water filter remove some of the pink color from the antifreeze. So smelling the Liguria can give you a sense of concentration.

A few years ago I had a regular customer have someone’s else winterize his rig. Come spring he called me about the jack system on his unit. When I got there a appliance person had his fridge out putting a new water valve on the unit.

Now my service call is more than the local guy. But I have helped him several times on odd things that makes my knowledge worth the money. Today I am going there as inverter is not working. 

Vern in a T-shirt   sorry for not getting back sooner, but I have stuff todo also