New to Dish Network

There appears to be a good base of knowledge here, so I’m going to pose my question.

I have been a DirecTV customer for a number of years, and I currently have the Genie II and a couple of mini-genies.  I use these in both my house and our motorhome.

We will soon be picking up a new motorhome, and I ordered it with a Winegard Travl’r configured for Dish Network.  I have been wanting to switch over to Dish for some time, and now seemed like a good time to do it.

What I am discovering is Dish Network’s components work a little differently than what I am used to, and I am unsure of what I need.  I want my system to be simple and not overdone for my needs.

My new motorhome will have a total of six TVs, but I think only three of them will be used regularly:  The main salon, the outdoor TV, and the bedroom.  I do see a need for the TVs to be tuned to different channels simultaneously.

At home, we have two TVs.  I want to take my home system on the road as before.  We use the DVR function A LOT!  I would say that 90% or better of our TV viewing is of recorded programs.

Which of the Dish Network components should I be looking to get?

Thanks!

You will want a DISH Hopper which is the main connection much like the Directv Genie. From there, depending on how many TVs you decide you want on the system you will need a Wired Joey and then Wireless Joeys. For example, in my home I had the Hopper (which is also the DVR) and one Wired Joey and three Wireless Joeys for a total of 5 televisions.

The DISH Outdoors folks should be able to help you figure it out or talk to an independent DISH contractor/installer as they are more likely to help with an RV installation.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

20 hours ago, Chalkie said:

The DISH Outdoors folks should be able to help you figure it out or talk to an independent DISH contractor/installer as they are more likely to help with an RV installation.

Contact a local sat TV installer, not DISH. You'll get mixed/bad advice from DISH probably along the lines of "You can't/shouldn't use a Hopper in an RV".

OP, if you're "handy", then you can do a DISH RV install yourself. Let me know and I tell you exactly what you'll need.

Regardless, you should know a few things before starting the process . . .

As Chalkie mentioned, you'll want a Hopper/Joey setup.

However, there are three versions of the Hopper: original Hopper (or Hopper 2000), Hopper with Sling (or Hopper 2), and the current Hopper 3. You want a Hopper 3.

A Hopper 3 is the heart of DISH's whole-house DVR system. It has 16 tuners that allow you to record anything you want. I've never run out of tuners. BTW, one of those tuners can be set to record PTAT (Prime Time Any Time). PTAT allows you to record ALL the Prime Time programs on the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) every day of the week. The Hopper 3 also has a 2 TB hard drive which I have never filled up with recorded programs.

In addition, there are also three versions of the Joey: original (Joey 1), Joey 2, and Wireless Joey. Currently, you can use either/both the Wireless Joey and/or a Joey 2.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I agree with Zulu, contact an authorized Dish reseller who should be able to install your system for all your tv needs. Maybe even do a free installation. Some will tell you that you can’t have a Hopper. This is due to the DVR and the bumps in the road. My son is an installer and says they sometimes get bad hopping (no pun intended) around in the back of his van. Just make sure you secure it good with some padding underneath. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The clowns at Dish will tell you that you cannot use a DVR receiver in an RV.  They are worried about the hard disk drive (HDD) being damaged while in motion.  You have the same issue with the single receivers it you add a HDD to record programs.  We have hauled out DISH DVR for better than 8 years and no issues.  We just unplug the receiver from the RV since we have an inverter and it powers the entertainment unit.  

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We have also used an external hard drive on a Wally for over 5-1/2 years and 40K miles without any issues at all. I hadn't thought about unplugging the receiver since our entertainment center is also on the inverter... thanks, Ken!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

The clowns at Dish will tell you that you cannot use a DVR receiver in an RV.  They are worried about the hard disk drive (HDD) being damaged while in motion.  You have the same issue with the single receivers it you add a HDD to record programs.  We have hauled out DISH DVR for better than 8 years and no issues.  We just unplug the receiver from the RV since we have an inverter and it powers the entertainment unit.  

Ken

Actually, those "clowns" at Dish will not tell you that you cannot use a DVR in an RV. They will tell that Dish does not support RV use of the DVR models. They're well aware that many of us are using Hopper and other series DVR's in our RV's, they just don't have the trained CSR's and TSR's to handle the unique problems associated with that small segment of the market. Many independent Dish dealers will work with RV installations, but not all of them. When I first signed up with Dish in 2008, the three closest dealers to me didn't want anything to do with RV installations. Instead, I did my homework and learned what I needed to know to do my own installation with equipment purchased online from various sources and had activated as a pay-as-you-go subscriber through Dish4MyRV. My RV receiver has been upgraded from a VIP 211K to a Hopper 2 since then, and a second Hopper 2 and a Joey have been added to my account, but it's still a Dish pay-as-you-go account that Dish has now designated as an "Outdoor" account. That lets me change locals with just a few taps on the MyDish app on my phone. No phone calls or chat sessions needed...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

In order to use the Travler with a Hopper 3 you will need a DPH-42 hybrid switch and power inserter. This was the setup we had been using in our previous rig for 4 1/2 years. Never a problem with the Hopper or the Joeys. You may want to consider carrying a spare cable that connects the Winegard base to the LNB. Ours had to be replaced twice. Proprietary and only available from Winegard.

13 hours ago, pnw_fireguy said:

In order to use the Travler with a Hopper 3 you will need a DPH-42 hybrid switch and power inserter. This was the setup we had been using in our previous rig for 4 1/2 years. Never a problem with the Hopper or the Joeys. You may want to consider carrying a spare cable that connects the Winegard base to the LNB. Ours had to be replaced twice. Proprietary and only available from Winegard.

Not necessary to order this expensive coax from Winegard. A standard short section of satellite coax will work just fine. Our replacement actually has lasted longer than the original Winegard coax. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I’ll just add that we have Hopper 3 and two wireless Joeys. Works great. 
Also traveler with DPH 42. 

Transfer equipment to house as well with outdoor dish antenna. 

Hopper 3 is the best! 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

On 3/19/2021 at 8:45 AM, chuckbear said:

Not necessary to order this expensive coax from Winegard. A standard short section of satellite coax will work just fine. Our replacement actually has lasted longer than the original Winegard coax. Chuck

The OEM cable between the base and the LNB is not a single coax. I suppose three individual cables would fit within the chase to the LNB.

22 hours ago, pnw_fireguy said:

The OEM cable between the base and the LNB is not a single coax. I suppose three individual cables would fit within the chase to the LNB.

That's interesting. Mine is a single cable off the LNB to the base and three cables off the base to the DPH. And it's a Dish dish. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis