SpaceX moves to beam Starlink internet into trucks, boats, and aircraft

RV_

As he said in the beginning, it will be mobile soon.

Excerpt:

"With over 1,000 satellites in space, SpaceX’s Starlink has at least 10,000 users through an invite-only beta program it started last year. The beta program is currently aimed at rural parts of the US that have little to no internet connectivity. A Starlink kit with an antenna and router costs $499, plus $99 per month for speeds around 70 to 130 Mbps. Last month, SpaceX started accepting refundable $99 Starlink preorders for “a limited number of users per coverage area,” which so far includes parts of the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom.

SpaceX’s request to link Starlink with vehicles didn’t give any details on any new antenna designs, but it said they “are electrically identical to its previously authorized consumer user terminals but have mountings that allow them to be installed on vehicles, vessels and aircraft.” The mobile antennas would fit on the “masts of ships or the tops of semi- trucks” — or, in consumer cases, on “passenger cars or pleasure boats,” another SpaceX filing said. Unlike Starlink’s current terminals, which come with mounts and are installed by the customer, the vehicle antennas will be set up by “qualified installers.”

Source with more details here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/8/22319761/spacex-starlink-fcc-internet-cars-boats-aircraft

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More good news from RV and Musk.  Thanks Derek.  I do feel sorry for poor souls in USA rural areas with no or very expensive internet service and especially for the kids of those families.  Maybe will be improvement for them soon.  Long Time Happy Statin and Chloroquine User here.

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot

227-capt-perkins-with-bell-212-evergreen-in-tokyo(1).jpg.b468bf06502d48667aa55538e78bedef.jpg

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Bill,

I know, it is about time. I received my invitation but am holding off to see what happens price wise because my $55 a month Internet from Centurylink does all we need until we see. Comcast and several others using A.L.E.C. boilerplate state level legislation made city and town owned Internet utilities that are not for profit illegal without a bunch of paperwork for exceptions.

Starlink will put the bundlers and their ever increasing prices and monopolies out of business. I had Suddenlink which was bought out by another company a couple of years before we left on the Bossier side of the Red River, but kept the name Suddenlink. Shreveport on the other side had Comcast and neither would come to the next town to compete for our cable biz.

Additionally the latency is low enough to use a VoIP service like I had with Magic Jack (MJ) on the Starlink service. I loved it while I had it. Still have my device but you need power, a computer or Internet service router to plug it into. I paid as little as $69 for five year's service with conference calling and voicemails emailed to me. I used the Panasonic wireless home phone system with a base station with additional voicemail and a handset as well as four additional handsets that each had their own charging stand. We sold those about two years ago just before we moved. We do not use our phones for any media so we are dropping our unlimited service when we get new phones. Just plain vanilla smart phones like our Moto Z3s we now have which we got after having the original Moto Z Play phones all of which we still have. We also have  the Projector Mod, JBL speaker mod, and the battery mod with wireless charging. At least we got them all free. I may switch carriers as we can get Verizon towers for voice and messaging from several non Verizon providers. The data was horrible on them ten years ago, or at least it was with StraightTalk Verizon tower phones a few years ago.

With Starlink RVrs can get speeds faster than I get here which average about 100 Mbps give or take 25 Mbps. And it will work in motion. It looks like all they are doing is making the dish and mounts for larger mobile service like trucks, boats, planes and RVs.

Maybe a Starlink owner has a VoIP service and can verify it works well on Starlink as I expect. When there are no towers or park cable this gives an emergency number. MJ uses a 110 5v adpater.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Sounds great RV and hopefully Starlink will be available everywhere in USA soon at competitive service to all the other existing internet providers like Spectrum and At&T in my area.  I now pay 60.00 per month for internet only from Spectrum with average of 103 mbs and often 137 to 160 mbs.  There are no extra charges and no contract from Spectrum with no charge for their modem so far.

https://www.facebook.com/Pilot-Bill-Perkins-Exotic-Living-And-Travels-in-Far-East-and-SE-Asia-1425108021122523

Edited by NamMedevac 70

There have been several reports on Reddit of folks using VOIP services with Starlink with no problems. Since we regularly use VOIP apps on our phones with our cell Internet services even when the latency is in the 60-100ms range, I wouldn't expect Starlink to be a problem in the reported 20-40ms range. For static VOIP, we use an ObiHai ATA at our Adirondack cottage with a Google Voice account for free phone service. The ObiHai device was a one time ~$80 expense several years ago and has worked flawlessly with our $15/mo Spectrum Internet service there. The ObiHai can be configured to work with many different VOIP providers.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

At my "summer base" I'm using cellular hotspot internet.  The service varies between plenty fast enough for what I need (HD video etc) to clunking banging misfiring buffering glitching.... it has gotten worse lately so I suspect some heavy traffic has been added to our tower... 

and to make matters worse the device is from fricking wa way - only kind the provider has... 

Anyhoo Derek - sign me up for mobile Starlink version because I'm usually only here 2-3 months / year.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The mobile version will be down the pike not now. In any event to be sure you can just put in your interest at the website and get on the waiting list.

I was shocked looking at VoIP services for $240.00 a year ($19.99 a month)

Magic Jack doubled in price and is now $130.00 for 4 years service. That's $30.00 a year. Beats $240 a year.

https://help.magicjack.com/faq/support/billing-payment/service-phone-number-renewal/index.html#post_id=289

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

The mobile version will be down the pike not now. IN any even to be sure you can just put in your interest at the website and get on the waiting list.

I was shocked looking at VoIP services for $240.00 a year ($19.99 a month)

Magic Jack doubled in price and is now $130.00 for 4 years service. That's $30.00 a year. Beats $240 a year.

https://help.magicjack.com/faq/support/billing-payment/service-phone-number-renewal/index.html#post_id=289

PhonePower Voip service can be as low as $8.33/mo paid annually. We found the free Google Voice service works just as well though when we had both on our VOIP ATA.

https://www.phonepower.com/voiphome.aspx

Dutch

I waiting for this. My speedtest.net results 2 minutes ago were download 5.2 Mbps/ upload .8 Mbps. My only source for internet is a private telecommunication company using DSL over copper wire @ $65.month for phone and DSL bundle.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Many cell phones will do VOIP as part of their cell plan.  We have used our Verizon phones to make calls and texts via WIFI in the USA and overseas. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

2 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

Many cell phones will do VOIP as part of their cell plan.  We have used our Verizon phones to make calls and texts via WIFI in the USA and overseas. 

Yes, one of my backup phones includes VOIP as an onboard option. Our daily use phones do not, but adding a free app for VOIP use was simple enough. The app shares the same contact list as the cell service...

Dutch

If they can come up with a more robust fixed antenna, then they might get some of my money.

Dishy McFlatface as currently configured will not hold up to the elements out here in BFE.

Maybe the new vehicle mount antenna would be more durable...but it needs to be 'user installable'.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

8 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

smh Yeah you are right, my cell can use the WiFi, but it can be less quality, or better, and why is beyond me. Both are at my desk. 

Question for the Starlink owners here, has anyone tried using their phones as WiFi only, with no cell towers in range, and have them go through OK via their Starlink satellite Internet? I don't see why they would not.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

20 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I waiting for this. My speedtest.net results 2 minutes ago were download 5.2 Mbps/ upload .8 Mbps. My only source for internet is a private telecommunication company using DSL over copper wire @ $65.month for phone and DSL bundle.

Ray,

Wow, Starlink sounds like your perfect solution Ray. Are you going to try one out now?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

5 hours ago, podwerkz said:

If they can come up with a more robust fixed antenna, then they might get some of my money.

Dishy McFlatface as currently configured will not hold up to the elements out here in BFE.

Maybe the new vehicle mount antenna would be more durable...but it needs to be 'user installable'.

From what I'm reading on Reddit, the Starlink terminal is holding up well in storm, wind, and snow conditions. What conditions are you expecting in BFE that concern you?

Dutch

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Ray,

Wow, Starlink sounds like your perfect solution Ray. Are you going to try one out now?

The phone app says where I live I will not get a signal, my house is in a valley 100' lower than the hills surrounding my house. The app says I would receive a signal a 10° to 71° above the horizon in the NE. Sadly it appears I'm SOL.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Dutch that's what I've been hearing too. ;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Here are a few neat sites.  This one displays the satellite positions in real time if you hit the Play button.  Or drag the time bar back and forth to see where they will be in the past or future.

https://celestrak.com/cesium/pass-viz-beta.php?source=CelesTrak&tle=/NORAD/elements/supplemental/starlink.txt&satcat=/pub/satcat.txt#visualization/orbit

Enter your address here and see the path of the satellites above you.  Click on Street View to see where to look in the sky to see them:

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/?special=starlink

And a neat picture of the current constellation's ground footprint:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/fsij1a/is_there_a_site_that_shows_the_current_starlink/

Edited by Lou Schneider

On 3/15/2021 at 6:36 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

From what I'm reading on Reddit, the Starlink terminal is holding up well in storm, wind, and snow conditions. What conditions are you expecting in BFE that concern you?

'Tested' at 75 mph, but rated for much less....heck the wind is blowing here at about 50 mph right now as I type this. We can get 90 mph winds 2 or 3 times a year where I live. And 50-65 mph winds are fairly common. Starlink says that it's best to remove the dish and secure it against damage during storms. Huh?

Well I'm not gonna climb up on my roof every time we get a few raindrops....maybe I need to dig a big hole in the ground and bury it with the dish just about even with the ground level...but then I need a sump pump in case it rains....yeah they just need to come up with something less 'plasticky'.

Nothing to see here. 

14 minutes ago, podwerkz said:

'Tested' at 75 mph, but rated for much less....heck the wind is blowing here at about 50 mph right now as I type this. We can get 90 mph winds 2 or 3 times a year where I live. And 50-65 mph winds are fairly common. Starlink says that it's best to remove the dish and secure it against damage during storms. Huh?

Well I'm not gonna climb up on my roof every time we get a few raindrops....maybe I need to dig a big hole in the ground and bury it with the dish just about even with the ground level...but then I need a sump pump in case it rains....yeah they just need to come up with something less 'plasticky'.

Sounds like you in perfect place for a windmill generator. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, podwerkz said:

If you don't think the service and terminal will work for your situation then don't order it. Problem solved...

Dutch

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If you don't think the service and terminal will work for your situation then don't order it. Problem solved...

Huh...well why didn't I think of that? Oh wait...I did.

As I stated in my first post in this thread, I wont be ordering it, unless they can come up with a more robust antenna suitable for fixed use.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here.