How to look stupid without really trying.

rickeieio

Dumb, dumb, dumb.......  Today we were almost home, traveling on I-71 between Cincinnati and Louisville.  We got to a place where traffic merged to one lane, and was stopped for a bit.  I took the tranny out of gear and let my clutch leg have a rest.  Once in a while I could ease off the brake and roll up a bit, then wait.......  But then while I was rolling, I saw we were really moving and I could put it in gear and move on.  Except, a gen 1 Eaton won't go in gear from neutral unless you're stopped.  Now what?  All I could do was continue coasting until I was clear of the construction, move over into the break down lane, stop and put it in gear.  Then I had to try to merge back out into the wave of folks who'd been held back by the bottleneck plus my bone headed move.

So, I ask the collective wisdom of this group, am I the only one who's ever done this?  We're closing in on the eleven year mark with this truck, and this is the first time it's happened to me.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I don't Neutral Roll, because the Gen 1 AutoShift manual says not to. Doesn't specify a minimum speed or distance, just not to do it. This might be why, can't see low speed/short distance harming the transmission.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

16 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I don't Neutral Roll, because the Gen 1 AutoShift manual says not to. Doesn't specify a minimum speed or distance, just not to do it. This might be why, can't see low speed/short distance harming the transmission.

I don't do it often, but have done it a few times, especially in really stop and go traffic. I find matching the engine speed to the roll speed and the truck will find the gear, sort of like if you have the real shifter. First time I did it I too had to pull over, stop and wait. Sometimes it's just pushing the clutch in enough to activate the clutch brake and not use the service brake. Just watch for the flashing number to stop flashing and you are in gear. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Kids and their new fangled toys😉

Just a guess, the transmission controller can't reconcile N1 and N2 shaft speeds for a gear solution?

Steve

My transmission controller is my right arm.  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

8 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

My transmission controller is my right arm. 

I was wishing for a stick to put 'er in gear.  I'm fine with a manual tranny, but got this one so the bride could drive.  But you'd have thought if there was a way to screw up, I would have found it sooner. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Saw the thread title and I knew it had to fit me somehow.

Not in a truck as I do not have any autoshifts. However in our 4x4 articulated tractors from the 80s, the powershift technology was still pretty primitive and when driving on the road from field to field, each time you stop you have start in gear 1, then no skip shift, you have to go through all 12 gears to get up to full travel speed. 🤬 Thankfully, like truck autoshift tech, it has improved and the newer tractors have skip shift and other improvements to make travel easier and............safer?

I'm a work'n on it.

Mine was crossing from Canada into the US at the US border stop. 

When we pulled up to the guard at the RV/passenger gate, he was very upset and motioned for me to turn off the truck. So I set the brakes (some now say don't do that at the border crossings) and turned the truck off. After giving him our passports , he want to see the wife's face and she kept trying to jump up, but finally had to unfasten her seat belt to stand up. You could tell the guard was irritated! After he said ok we could go, he closed his window quickly. So I went to try to restart the truck, and get out as fast as possible, but the truck wouldn't start. Turned the key and nothing. Kept trying a few times, and finally realized I forgot to put the Ultrashift gear selector in Neutral. It was still in Drive and truck won't crank. Put it Neutral, start truck and leave as gently as possible! 

I don't think the border guy liked having to deal with a semi in the RV lanes.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

"So, I ask the collective wisdom of this group, am I the only one who's ever done this? "

I have no wisdom to add.  But thanks for the head's up. 

My inclination is that for long, true single lane (without a driveable shoulder), I would stop, put it in neutral and sit for a bit until I had a big gap in front of me.  Then close the gap and repeat.  

Unfortunately, if there is a driveable shoulder, or multiple lanes that are congested, leaving a big gap in front, is probably a poor approach.  It seems to me, like creeping in 1st gear and occasionally shifting into neutral, with an eventual stop, is the only viable solution.  But maybe I'm wrong.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

4 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Mine was crossing from Canada into the US at the US border stop. 

When we pulled up to the guard at the RV/passenger gate, he was very upset and motioned for me to turn off the truck. So I set the brakes (some now say don't do that at the border crossings) and turned the truck off. After giving him our passports , he want to see the wife's face and she kept trying to jump up, but finally had to unfasten her seat belt to stand up. You could tell the guard was irritated! After he said ok we could go, he closed his window quickly. So I went to try to restart the truck, and get out as fast as possible, but the truck wouldn't start. Turned the key and nothing. Kept trying a few times, and finally realized I forgot to put the Ultrashift gear selector in Neutral. It was still in Drive and truck won't crank. Put it Neutral, start truck and leave as gently as possible! 

I don't think the border guy liked having to deal with a semi in the RV lanes.

Dave

We always take the commercial lane ,had a officer call the union on us for being in the car lane.

Oh and mine goes back into gear at any speed (freedomline) I know because more then once I hit the neutral button instead of manual at hwy speeds .

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

9 hours ago, hone eagle said:

We always take the commercial lane ,had a officer call the union on us for being in the car lane.

Oh and mine goes back into gear at any speed (freedomline) I know because more then once I hit the neutral button instead of manual at hwy speeds .

We are registered and titled as an RV. I had no issues going into Canada and it was on the return trip after we had already passed the Canadian border guards. 

Does yours go automatically back into neutral if you turn it off in gear? Ours does not as I still have to flip the switch on the shifter to Neutral for it to crank.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Vern,  I had to spill the beans while it was fresh in my mind.

The issue was compounded by the fact it happened just as the two lanes became one and traffic sped up.  No shoulder, just 12' wide lane with barricades on each side.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

"IF" you were to build the pneumatic clutch system I did about 8 years ago you could just push a button on the side of the shift lever and the clutch will disengage.  Then you would not need to concern yourself about shifting to neutral to ease your leg from the clutch pedal.  I use this a lot when sitting at traffic lights as my clutch brake is toast.  I still keep my foot on the clutch pedal in case something fails (which it has not) but do not need to apply pressure.  I don't think it was ever put in the Resource Guide, but I do still have the pics and write-up.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I remember that project.  At the time I thought I was young and invincible and didn't need it.  Haa.   

Another solution is buy a truck with a manual tranny.  There's always a gear or two that will work just fine without depressing the clutch.  But most folks don't care for that solution.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

7 hours ago, RandyA said:

"IF" you were to build the pneumatic clutch system I did about 8 years ago you could just push a button on the side of the shift lever and the clutch will disengage.  Then you would not need to concern yourself about shifting to neutral to ease your leg from the clutch pedal.  I use this a lot when sitting at traffic lights as my clutch brake is toast.  I still keep my foot on the clutch pedal in case something fails (which it has not) but do not need to apply pressure.  I don't think it was ever put in the Resource Guide, but I do still have the pics and write-up.

Ya, I thought for several years I might have to go dig up that project to bypass my bum left leg which was caused by too many years on the clutch, but it turns out I found a guy with a sharp knife who did a great job of fixing it from the human side. I was using my right foot on the clutch, or sometimes both feet, plus kicking it out of gear at lights. Anything I could do to keep going.  All better now. Thank you, Dr. Bailey! Jay

A few years ago I did install a nematic clutch system as Randy A did. He showed it to me at a rally I believe.

So after I built it I did try it. It is still there just incase it is ever needed. Back in January I thought I may need it after my fall. After my slip on ice, I even thought I may need a lift to get in the truck.

But I am back about 95 percent from that stupidity moment..

Vern in a T-shirt 

So the last 5 days have been on the road.... Greenville SC to Nashville Tn for 3 days, then up to Platte City Ks for an overnight (599 miles..... not recommended), then finally Sioux Falls today.  Plenty of upshifts, downshifts around and thru cities.... floated the gears with the jake brake on without grinding any..... 

Come off the interstate at our exit in Sioux Falls, up the ramp- stop at the light, float down to 2nd, light turns green and I come off the clutch a little too hard.... STALLED IT.... on an uphill.... which y'all might know is a little violent in the shaking department....  The next 2.5 miles to the campground had 6 lights.... couldn't find a gear to save myself..... The glare from the passenger seat needs to be bottled and sold....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yep, once ya miss a gear then stuff happens. Then you start thinking and now it’s not working correctly.  I mostly shift without the clutch unless starting out.

The next trip will go smoothly.

I loose my hearing also when the passenger starts saying about the situation.

Vern 

Edited by Wrknrvr

42 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

The glare from the passenger seat needs to be bottled and sold...

Why would I buy that when I have my own, neverending supply.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.