How Heavy of Trailor Can I Tow

RV2300

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to RVing.  I am trying to figure out how heavy of trailer I can comfortably tow.  We are a family of four with dogs and will be taking the trailer on flat land and mountains.  We will be pulling with a Chevy Tahoe with max trailing package.  The tow rating is 8400 lbs and the GCWR is 14,000.  The weight of vehicle is 5569 (14,000 - 5,569 = 8,431).  I am trying to figure out the maximum trailer weight (either the UVW or the GVWR) I can comfortably tow and should be researching trailers under that weight amount.  There is a lot of conflicting information out there .  Thank you in advance!

There are two main issues I see. One is you will rarely be hauling that trailer empty so the stuff you put into it and your tow vehicle needs to be considered. The second is that stopping that trailer is as important as towing it which is why it is important to not load to maximum towing capability.

I suspect someone else will be along soon to help you with the numbers but I hope you think about those two things during your calculations.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

With a Bumper Pull Trailer you kind of watch your weight distribution.  Bumper weight is important

Looking at "RV Flips & Bursts into Fire" listed this morning on the General RV Information suggests there may have been an overload on the rear of the Trailer. Bad scene.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I suspect you will run out of payload long before you run out of towing capacity.

Look at the driver’s side door - there’s a sticker there that says what the payload is of your particular vehicle.  Each vehicle is different, depends on each vehicle’s features.  Or else, take your Tahoe empty to a scale and get it weighed, then subtract it’s weight from the GVWR.  That will be the payload limit.

Take the payload amount and subtract the weight of your 4 passengers, the weight of the dogs, the weight of a cooler and whatever else you think you might carry in the Tahoe.

What is left will be how much tongue weight the trailer can have without going over your Tahoe’s GVWR.  The tongue weight should be between 10-15% of the weight of the trailer, and it’s always weight carried by the tow vehicle.

Let’s say the payload is 1200 lbs. and the passengers and dogs weigh 600 lbs.  You want to carry a cooler, coats and some toys for the kids, so add another 100 lbs for a total of 700 lbs.  That leaves you with 500 lbs. for the tongue weight of the trailer.  That means your trailer can weigh between 3,300 (15%) and 5,000 (10%) lbs.

Your payload may be higher than the mythical 1200 I used, and if the weight of the dogs and people are less, you’ll have that much more tongue weight capability.  But you get the idea.

Thank you everyone for your replies.  The GVWR of the Tahoe is 7300 and the Ship Weight is 5569 which indicates a payload of (7300 - 5569 =1731).  Say 1,000 lbs to be safe for people, dogs, gas, cooler etc, leaves 731 lbs for tongue weight.  I guess there is no easy way to make sure this is accurate unless I actually weight the vehicle loaded.

This puts a max trailer GVWR (the fully loaded trailer weight) at 4,873 (@ 15%)  to 7,310 (@10%) .   

Another question I have is what about the total GVWR of the vehicle + trailer + hitch exceeding the maximum 14,000.

Example:  Weight of Tahoe loaded (6,569)+ GVWR of Trailer assuming fully packed (7,000) + trailer hitch estimate (800) = 14,369, which is greater than 14,000.  Is that a problem?  Am I doing that math correctly with adding in the estimated hitch weight?

Thanks!

I’m active on a manufacturer’s specific forum and recently there’s been quite the discussion about tongue weight and where it gets counted.  It can get confusing.

The tongue weight is part of the GVWR of the trailer.  So it is part of that 7,000 lbs for the trailer.  Where it gets confusing is that the weight is CARRIED by the TV, so it counts against the TV’s payload and GVWR when the trailer is hitched up to the TV and going down the road.

Let’s assume your Tahoe and your 7,000 lb. trailer are hitched up and sitting on the scales.  The weight on the Tahoe’s two axles add up to 7300 lbs (it’s GVWR).  The weight on the trailer’s axles should be 6200 lbs. (7,000 - 800), because that 800 lbs. tongue weight is being carried by the Tahoe.  The tongue weight is not in addition to the two GVWR.  You would not be over the GCVWR because the entire rig weighs 13,500.

If, on the other hand, the weight on the trailer’s axles were 7,000 lbs, and your Tahoe was 7,300 lbs, then you would be overweight by 300 lbs.  And if the trailer’s GVWR were to be 7,000 lbs, it would be well over it’s GVWR...

Ah, the joys of figuring out how to tow travel trailers!

Pulling the trailer is the easy part. If you have new tires, the temperature isn't too hot  and the roads are smooth, all is good. Have a few years on the trailer tires, the trailer has sat for most of those years and you are looking at tire issues, especially if you are trying to "Max" out the weight you can carry. 

Stopping and controlling a heavy trailer is not so easy. Even if you have good tires and a bit of experience. The key is keeping the weight in the right locations and to do that you must use a wheel scale to ensure one of the wheels is not carrying more than the rest. It's possible to do it at the truck stop scales, but you need to at least once have a "Smart Weigh" where each tire or set of tires are weighted and calculated with the information that is supplied by the tow vehicle info, the trailer info and the information on all of the tires. 

There may be an option for Smart Weigh at the upcoming Escapee's Rally. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The easy way to figure out how to tow a travel trailer is to get a small trailer and a big truck.

I towed my trailer for 2 years with a marginal TV.  I was always at max for the SUV’s tongue weight rating (620 lbs), while my trailer, at 5,500 lbs (and usually about 5300 lbs actual) was well under the V6 Grand Cherokee’s rating of 6200 lbs.  But at 114” wheelbase (compared to the Tahoe’s current 120” wheelbase), a 21’ trailer (overall length) could be a handful in strong cross-winds (one day driving from Tucumcari to Albuquerque comes to mind).  I don’t regret upgrading my TV to a half ton pickup, it was much more relaxing to drive.  So while your Tahoe can manage the weight of a good-sized trailer, I would also consider the length also.  It would “laugh” at my little one, but a 30’ trailer is a really big sail behind it.

45 minutes ago, fpmtngal said:

The easy way to figure out how to tow a travel trailer is to get a small trailer and a big truck.

I had a similar experience. Started towing our 4000# GVWR travel trailer with an SUV rated to tow 5000#. It did OK but was not relaxing to drive and in a high wind it was very tiring. The SUV got about 20 mpg empty but only 9 - 11 mpg towing. Had the opportunity to buy a 4 door, 2003 diesel, 3/4 ton truck with less then 100k miles from people that I knew so got it and what a difference! Sometimes it is difficult to remember that our little trailer is even back there. In extreme windy conditions, I can see it move by watching the mirrors but hardly notice in the handling. The truck gets about 18 mpg running without the trailer and averages 14 + mpg when towing. It is relaxing to drive and we feel much more secure.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

From experience with a Yukon, you're looking at a max trailer weight of around 6000lbs. They're not really built for trailer pulling, with the short wheelbase, and soft suspension, but can be used with smaller rigs. Just be hyper-vigilant while towing, lest things get exciting.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

This online towing calculator will accurately and safely match your towing vehicle to a TT without bias or confusing salesman statements.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 3/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, Ray,IN said:

This online towing calculator will accurately and safely match your towing vehicle to a TT without bias or confusing salesman statements.

DO NOT trust what the truck or RV sales staff tells you.  They will look at the towing weight number and say its fine.  Maybe they won't even do that and still say it is fine.  Wheelbase-to-length ratios, max payload, axle capacities and gross vehicle weight capacities never enter their minds.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ