Where to park...

Do any of you "long-timers" have recommendations of where you park your RV (free of charge) while exploring/maybe even tent-camping with your toad vs the whole enchilada? Case in point. Chose to stay in the Everglades National Park with the RV, but want to do a toad-journey down the keys using a tent. RV parks down there are expensive. Ideally would like to just park the RV secure without camp fees and use the toad for a week of exploring...

I would be Leary of parking my RV somewhere for free and leaving for several days in my toad. It would not be very secure. RVs are very easy to break into. If I were you I would put my rig in storage or find a camp ground that has a storage area for a modest price. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I sure wouldn’t do that, especially not for a week.  Through I’ve seen people in some places in the west who leave their trailers parked during the week in a national forest or BLM land and return to it for the weekend.  I don’t think you could get away with that in a national park, where the camping is much more regulated.

We once met a couple who left their RV in a secure storage facility near Miami for a week only to return to find it trashed. And they had paid for that security. I can't imagine finding someplace in Florida where you could safely leave one but I wish you luck with your search.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'd highly recommend you talk to some RV parks about storage.  You will probably have to stay there at least a night for them to let you store it there... maybe more nights.  I wouldn't just leave it on any parking lot. 

You could also try this site for ideas.  Plug in a town near Everglades or even one in the Keys and see what pops up.

https://freecampsites.net/#!everglades+city

Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Depending on the time of the year in Florida many of the parks are empty. Some have seasonal people who have parked their trailers, Class C, and Class A units on a spot and have not moved them in years. I do not know if the monthly rate is different when they are not living there or not. I do know the season and "Off Season" rates are much different. 

In South Florida I would want a place where the unit could be plugged into electric to have the A/C running at least to keep the humidity down on the inside. Not much you can do about the outside humidity. I have left my trailer for several days to over a week a couple times without issue. It was in a campground and I was paying the monthly rate. You might consider staying long enough to get a better rate than the very high daily rate most placed are charging right now. With the looks of gas prices today I won't be moving for anything except for essential travel. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 3/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, lappir said:

I do not know if the monthly rate is different when they are not living there or not. I do know the season and "Off Season" rates are much different. 

In Florida many parks have high and low season rates.  Off season rates can be much lower as can seasonal packages.  Some parks have packages for people who want to snowbird and not haul their rigs.  Those packages usually have a limit on the number of months a you can actually stay (usually six or seven) and prohibit subletting.  Where the rig stays during the off season depends upon the park.  We have Canadian friends who stay in Kissimmee.  In that park the rig is put in a storage area freeing up the site for Disney rentals through the summer.  Other parks leave may them on the site or store them depending on location.

If I were going toad/tent camping in the Glades area I would not look at the Miami and north coastal areas.  Land is more valuable in those areas and storage will be more expensive.  There are a lot of parks in the central area along US 27 and FL 80 that are within two to three hours of the Glades.  I drove by some last week going from Avon Park to Ft. Myers and saw storage advertised on some.  A google search should put you on the right track.  I would be less worried about storage in one of these parks as their business depends to some extent on the customers not being victims.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ