Brake light troubles

Nwcid

Lighting trouble. 2014 VNL 630.

I purchased 2 sets (4 total, 2 for left and 2 for right) of these lights, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D59L58G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1  here is from the manufacture site, https://www.abramsmfg.com/.../6-oval-35-led-red-arrow.../
I installed them about 48 hours before we took off on our trip. I have not had time to trouble shoot them. I did call the company and got the "it works on some trucks and not on others" answer. They also said these are only intended as turn signals and not brake lights. However if wired properly (or best as I can figure) as "turn signals" I would have the same issue since brake and turn on on the same wire.

I cut off the OEM tail light plug and crimped in dual pig tails. I am wired white to ground, brown to tail and red to brake/turn. Tail lights work as they should, turn signals work as they should and are awesome. The problem is that when I apply the brakes instead of the lights coming on solid, all 4 arrows sequence. On the volt meter I get solid 12v with brake and "flashing" 12v on turn signal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these to work right or if that is even an option?

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

I think your issue is they show they are trailer turn lights. A semi trailer has separate circuits for turn signals vs brake lights. I think what is happening is when it gets a signal it starts flashing the lights (might have a built in flasher). You might have to get a different one on each side for the brakes and then use one flashing one on each side for the turn signal. You may have to get the wires from the trailer plug and not the rear tractor lights.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

8 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

I think your issue is they show they are trailer turn lights. A semi trailer has separate circuits for turn signals vs brake lights. I think what is happening is when it gets a signal it starts flashing the lights (might have a built in flasher). You might have to get a different one on each side for the brakes and then use one flashing one on each side for the turn signal. You may have to get the wires from the trailer plug and not the rear tractor lights.

Dave

I think you may be correct, but "Oval Truck Stop Brake Turn DOT Approved Sequential Arrow Lights [IP67 Waterproof] RV Semi Truck Taillight " is how they are listed.  

Looks like I am going to have to return these and get "traditional" lights.  It really sucks because these lights are great, bight and get attention. 

Edited by Nwcid

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Bottom line is the sellers description is wrong.  They are not brake lights.  

Again I agree, but the seller is is the manufacture......

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

If you can figure out which way they're cross feeding, you may be able to use diodes to isolate each light. I can't tell based on your description exactly what's happening. Jay

I will see what I can find out this weekend when I get home.  Likely I will be returning them and getting "traditional" style lights.