Decisions after the last move.

Hello all, 

I made a short 4 hour move yesterday to remain in Oklahoma until early June. It was one of the best prepped moves I have done in a while. Took a weekend to find a better way to transport my new to me Recumbent Trike. Loaded my car mid week and got it tied down the next afternoon. Loaded the motorcycle Friday after work and had most all of the outside tidied up so all I had to do was stow the daily use stuff and pull in the slides, or so I thought. 

Got up early and it took several hours to stow my stuff. I am now reevaluating what I think is daily stuff and what actually needs to have a place where it can be used and returned to each day and not just hang out on the counter or another place. Many of them are electric. Should I find the place where they can remain plugged in for storage or plug and unplug them daily with the use? 

I really like my Subaru, especially in the recent Snow that covered my area for several days last month. I do not like how difficult it is to load and tie down as compared to my initial vehicle. I won't be loading it again. It will go to my youngest Daughter for birthday, graduation and Christmas gifts for a couple years. 

I will load up the Isuzu to take with me for around town for a while and go back to renting a car for those trips that require "Cruise control" and a bit more assurance I won't have to stop for a breakdown. ( The Vehicross is a 1999 with near 200000 miles on it.) I love driving it and it's just as good in the snow as the Subie. It just doesn't have all the comfort features as a 2020. 

After they have been on the road for a while I may look more at the Bronco Sport. I was hoping the full Bronco would be small enough to load, but I'm afraid it won't even in the two door version. I hope I'm wrong because the ability to take the door off for loading would solve one of the hardest issues. Getting out of the vehicle when it's loaded. I have to crawl out the window of the VX, but can easily tie it down. I can exit with the door open with the Subaru, but when it comes to tying it to the floor I can hardly squeeze low enough to hook up the straps. The Subaru is just too low and wide even if it does have almost 8 inches of ground clearance. The Isuzu had 12 at the rocker panels. I suppose I could go with larger tires and a lift, but I didn't like the factory ones on the sales lot when looking at them. 

Back to the move. Got all ready to pull out at 8:30. Great time for me, but then it seemed like I had left the trailer brakes on even though I had pushed in both buttons before pulling out (After the test pull with the Johnson bar.) One of the brakes was stuck to the drum. I tried backing up and pulling forward, but the single set of dual tires still just slid. After a bit I decided to pull out on the road and maybe the added traction of the "pavement" would help. Nope, all that did was cause the tires to start smoking. I was able to pull back off the road and called for assistance. My mechanic friend said crawl under and tap on the drum with a big hammer. I took my only hammer, raised the side of the trailer as much as I could and was able to squeeze under and do as I was told. Wasn't sure it worked until I got out and tried to pull forward again and sure enough all tires were rolling. 

I had tried my ex truck driver brother first, but he didn't pick up. He did call me back once I was underway and wondered why it froze up. It was raining in October when I was traveling across Missouri , Arkansas and Oklahoma and apparently didn't dry before it started rusting. I guess I'm just lucky all 4 drums didn't stick. Not sure if my singled truck would have pulled it out with all brakes locked. I was glad I could at least move the trailer, the ground under it wouldn't have been as good as the gravel I was on when I used the hammer. Clay doesn't drain very well and I had drained a bit of my fresh water thinking of lightening my load. Will wait until I'm sure I can move the next time. 

How many try to travel with empty tanks? 

I'm set up in a park that was severely damaged in 2015/2016 by Flooding of the Illinois River in NE OK. The name of it I was told was Riverside RV Park. I looked it up on the internet and the photos showed a very nice place. I tried to look at the address with Google Earth and the view was nothing like the website photos. The person who recommended the site had heard rave reviews from other "RV Travel Nurses" and there are 4 other rigs here supposedly occupied by Nurses. Have yet to meet any though. 

I didn't ask about the Flooding risk until I arrived. It actually didn't really cross my mind until I saw some things at the park. Apparently it a "500 Year Flood". I will certainly be wary if this spring brings lots of "April Showers". I found the news video this morning of the Flood at Rivercane park. It was the name of the park my contact gave me in a text, but then when I called to hear more about it she called it Riverside. Lesson. If the Website and Google earth don't match, find out what is incorrect. I wasn't too worried, because I have been to this location before and stayed at another park. Figured I'd be able to find a spot there. The other park isn't full, but is much fuller than the last time I was there and they opened up at least 20 more spots. My prior spot was open, but with trailers on each side I would not easily get my rig into it. There were no neighbors when I arrived last time or left. Lesson, don't assume. 

Finally, woke up this morning and looked out the window and only saw the trailer next to me. I chose this location so I could have a view and what did I do? Picked the spot I would fit in easiest and didn't think of the view. I am now preparing to move to the spot where my windows will have at least a bit of a view, even if it's the Highway bridge going over the river. I was sort of worried about traffic noise when I looked from afar yesterday. Today I was out pacing it off and really the noise is no different there than from the other spot. The view will make it better. 

That is all, 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We've been known to pack up and move within 30 min.  We don't put out much 'stuff' inside so it's easy to clear off counters, etc.  Most things can be done the night before.  Hooking up the car to the MH takes 5 min.... really.  Depending on where we are or where we're going or how long we've stayed .... dumping  or filling with fresh water isn't necessary. If in a campground we don't hook up the water or sewer hose unless staying an extended time and then, only the water hose.  The sewer hose is easy to pull out & use and return.  Boondocking on public lands is even easier. No hookups to worry about.  We do that enroute.  Everyone gets a system eventually.  We get a kick out of watching weekenders in a state park.  They haul out so much stuff!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

It appears to me that the longer an RVer stays in one place the longer it takes to pack up. Things wander out of their cubbies then stay out. Moving frequently decreases opportunities for that to happen. Both are ways are fine--just different.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, Twotoes said:

No offense Rod, but it took me longer to read your post than I usually take to pack up. 

None taken, do you have a secret method? You don't have to reveal it, just a yes or no is fine. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Don't carry so much 'stuff' with you.   

We do most of the packing up the afternoon/evening before we leave.  Empty and rinse tanks, put away the hose,  maybe add a little to fresh water, covers off of tires, etc., store everything away outside, put everything in travel mode, pull in the big slide, etc.   In the morning it is just secure the coffee maker, secure window shades, pull in bedroom slide, stow the satellite dish,  unhook water and then power.  Once power is off, I start the motor, hit the store button for the jacks, and do a walk around pulling jack pads and checking that nothing is left outside.   By this time the airbags are full, jacks are up, and we can move the motorhome to where we hook up the car, check the lights and we are off.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

23 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We too tend to have more to put away after a stop of a month or longer than for a day or two, but I really think that is pretty common. 

For a day or two, power cord and maybe water hose is it plus the satellite dish.  And the satellite dish travels in back seat of the car, we gave up on roof satellite years ago, too many trees in PNW.😎

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/03/this-futuristic-electric-truck-from-canoo-goes-on-sale-in-2023/

Maybe I will wait for this little pickup to come out. If it's 184 long inches I think it will fit in my garage, I have 186 from the door to the interior wall.  

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

We don't have slides, so we don't have to spend the few minutes it takes pulling them in. Otherwise, we start packing as much as possible the day before a travel day. Outside things, like folding chairs, etc. are stowed. Inside things are put into their travel places as much as possible. I'll fill the fresh water tank IF we're at a site that has water. I dump when we arrive if necessary. Fresh water and sewer hoses are out only when actually being used. We only use water from the fresh water tank.

On travel day we have a quick breakfast. While Jo Ann is fixing it I'm putting things away that can be done then. For example, the television rides on the bed, so it can't go there until after the bed is made. Then, after breakfast, I wash the dishes while Jo Ann puts things away. Then I go outside and finish up whatever is left there while she finishes inside. When we're about 10 minutes away from leaving I start engines (generator and Detroit), then go outside and bring in the electric cord. Since the coach will be sitting on at least one tire cover I have to wait until it begins to go to travel height before I can finish the tire covers. By the time that is done Jo Ann has everything inside ready to go. She does a last inspection outside while I do one inside.

Several years ago we arrived at a State Park expecting to be there for several days while Jo Ann attended a convention. About 0600 the Ranger was pounding on the door. The river was rising and everyone had to be out by noon. We were out by 0800 and the water was already getting close to the road. Oh yes, in that two hours we had breakfast and washed the dishes. We didn't hook up the car because we were just going across town.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 3/7/2021 at 10:45 AM, lappir said:

How many try to travel with empty tanks? 

We try to travel with empty gray and black tanks, but because we spend most of our time boondocking, we travel with a full fresh water tank.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

We try to travel with empty gray and black tanks, but because we spend most of our time boondocking, we travel with a full fresh water tank.

Same here.  We never noticed a difference in fuel mileage with full or empty tanks.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Unless we are boondocking we only carry about 30 gallons in the 80 gal fresh tank.  It is enough to flush and drink, with a safety margin if we have to stop somewhere unexpectedly.  The black and gray tanks are empty unless we are cleaning them with a soap/borax/water solution.  It isn't a question of fuel mileage, it is just that minimizing weight is ingrained in me.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

8.33 lbs per gallon of water, so a 50 gallon tank is a little over 400 lbs. , so it's not an insignificant weight. If the tank is full it's more stable and while it doesn't usually "Slosh" around much, once it get's going it takes more time to stop. I'm guessing the manufacturers of an RV expect the tanks to be empty while moving and only full for a very short time. The "Straps" they use to hold the tanks up are not all that substantial from the few I have seen. I too have the minimizing of weight ingrained in my thoughts. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Let me make a suggestion when it comes to the car. Install some e-track in the floor under the car tires and use the newer style over the tire tie downs. They anchor behind the tire go over the tire and then ratchet tight out from under the car. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Erickson/EM58523.html  

They make loading and unloading the car a metric ton easier. No more crawling under the car to hook a strap up.

The E-track is also really useful for other stuff as well.

9 hours ago, solo318 said:

Let me make a suggestion when it comes to the car. Install some e-track in the floor under the car tires and use the newer style over the tire tie downs. They anchor behind the tire go over the tire and then ratchet tight out from under the car. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Erickson/EM58523.html  

They make loading and unloading the car a metric ton easier. No more crawling under the car to hook a strap up.

The E-track is also really useful for other stuff as well.

Already have the etrack and the over the tire straps. They worked very well for the Isuzu Vehicross, but not so good for the Subaru. It sits 3 to 4 inches lower and I cannot get my shoulders down low enough easily to use both arms positioning the straps, the connectors and then working the ratchets. I do not have an open trailer. 

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 3/22/2021 at 5:37 PM, lappir said:

The "Straps" they use to hold the tanks up are not all that substantial from the few I have seen. I too have the minimizing of weight ingrained in my thoughts. 

My tank sits on frame, not straps.  When it was installed the tank was pushed into a compartment flush with braced plywood walls.  It is relatively tall and narrow, so there is not a lot of room for sloshing. It isn't going anywhere.  But then, Carriage made pretty solid rigs.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:37 PM, lappir said:

I'm guessing the manufacturers of an RV expect the tanks to be empty while moving and only full for a very short time.

I'm pretty sure the Carriage manufacturers accounted for the fresh water tank being full when moved, if desired.  The specs sheet showing the net carrying capacity clearly subtracts a full, 80 gallon tank from the GVW.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

• 4 weeks later...

Any Jeep owners out there? 

Riding through town a couple days ago and saw what I thought was an older Jeep on the Chevrolet Dealers lot. Pulled in and found it was a soft top, but the sales person was almost there so I figured I'd let them try to sell it to me. Found out it's actually a 2019 model with 35000 miles on it. It looks good and drove good and was surprisingly quiet with the soft top. The sales person said it was because of the new "Dome" shape. 

I have never been a Jeep person. I have driven a couple, looked at a few but something always checked off wrong. This one didn't except for one BIG thing. The Price. They are asking $33900 for it. I didn't pay that for my brand new Subaru with lots more options, unfortunately many I now realize I do not like, but that's beside the point. I have checked prices of others and it does seem they are not out of line, but it's more than I want to spend right now. 

How old do I have to go to get under $25,000. How many miles and if it's priced that low what do I have to be sure it doesn't have that maybe the reason the price is that low. 

I'm heading out later today to look at and drive a few more. It's an hours drive to Tulsa and I'm visiting the farmers market here in town before going. If you have important info, please email me at lappir1@yahoo.com and I will be able to read it once I get to Tulsa. I don't access the forum from my phone. 

Thanks all in advance. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Traded the Subaru for a 2019 Jeep Wrangler T. It checked all the boxes of what I didn't like about the Subaru and kept the things I liked. Thought about downgrading the Subaru and then adding a lift and it would have been less expensive, but if the Jeep continues to hold it's value like the one's I've looked at then  I think I made the right move. Will pick it up next Friday. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Congratulations on the Wrangler!  Jeep Wranglers have traditionally held their value better than most cars.  They’ve always had a somewhat passionate following (me included, though my last Wrangler was a 2004, sold in 2015 - can’t tow much of a travel trailer with one).  The old TJs could be a bit quirky but the new ones seem to be more, ummm, civilized(?).  I have two friends who recently bought new ones and love them (and I’m envious), so it seems the tradition continues.

• 10 months later...

Heavy rains last week and the full creeks made me think of Oklahoma last spring. I was on the River in a park that had been flooded a couple times in the last 20 years. In talking with the manager the first flood came without much warning and destroyed several new buildings and trailers. The park was most likely very beautiful before that first flood. It was not during my stay, but it was very affordable. 

The weather folks are commenting on Flooding concerns for the upcoming week. Lots of rain coming, maybe as much as we got a week ago, but now the ground is saturated and won't absorb as much. It's going to be nice today so I think I will load and tie down the motorcycle, make sure the trailer is ready for a quick move and hopefully check on my insurance to see if I have flood coverage. 

Does anyone know about Full timer Flood insurance? 

I know I have seen photos of RV's stuck in flood waters, but I know no one who personally suffered. (to my memory). 

Rod 

2007 Honda GL 1800

We didn't suffer but we did move up the hill from where we were parked. I can't believe how many stayed even after the water started rising. Apparently that park flooded every year so people had a good idea of how high the water would rise. I wish we'd thought to ask that before we moved but at least we got electric in the new site and the honey wagon was free.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van