Satellite Challenged

New Class C RV owners who are comfortable with most aspects of the vehicle - except the TVs.  Getting the TVs to work by satellite or park cable hook ups on our own ain't happening!  Don't suggest the dealer... We live a few miles from the Escapee Park in Livingston, TX.  Does anyone know of a tech or someone able to help us set up our reception?  

Jim

jimmcninch@gmail.com

Have you programmed each tv? Go to menu or impute or source on the remote. Click on sat or hdmi and then scan the channels. It will take a few minutes. You must do this for a each tv. If you have park cable then you must repeat this. click on cable not sat not hdmi. Again you must do this for each tv and for cable very time you move to another location. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

15 hours ago, Jim and Liz McNinch said:

New Class C RV owners who are comfortable with most aspects of the vehicle - except the TVs.  Getting the TVs to work by satellite or park cable hook ups on our own ain't happening!  Don't suggest the dealer... We live a few miles from the Escapee Park in Livingston, TX.  Does anyone know of a tech or someone able to help us set up our reception?  

What provider are you using (Dish or DirecTV)?  What satellite dish do you have on the roof of your RV (or are you setting up a portable dish...if so, which one)?  What receiver are you using?

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

If I can do it so can you. If you have SAT on roof? Turn on both the DirecTV or Dish and SAT controller. Wait, I takes a few minutes to connect to SAT. If you are lucky you just follow the on screen directions. One TV at a time, we have three. Good Luck? If no good call them and they may walk you thru it.

But you must set up Sat and cable separately. Each tv needs to be scanned for each imput/source. Try cable first, then do you sat. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Jim,

I'm fairly technical and will be passing through Livingston next week if you'd like me to take a quick look at it for you.

I've installed and configured AAFES satellite dishes hanging off splitters and set up on COAX signal multiplexors before overseas in the desert.

It's not hard once you get your head wrapped around how it all works.

• 1 month later...

My neighbor just purchased a 5th  with a Winegard Travlr sk3005 satellite dish..When it's raised it locks in on 101 110 119 instead of 101 99 103  He called winegard and they had him on hold for 45minutes until he hung up..Does he have a major problem or is it something he can fix.

Edited by pinger

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

On 5/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, Twotoes said:

He needs to call his satellite provider (Dish or DirecTv) not Winegard. 

He called Winegard and they said to talk to DTV..so much for passing the buck  anyway he pulled the 4 wires from the LNB and the turret and 2 of them were open (no continuity) so he ordered a new cable..I hope that is his problem..

On 5/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, Twotoes said:

He needs to call his satellite provider (Dish or DirecTv) not Winegard. 

Winegard is has technicians that can walk you through most issues with Dish and Direct and are very knowledgeable in both carriers, whereas Dish and Direct have no knowledge of Winegard products and are no help whatsoever if you are not using their equipment. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, Big5er said:

Winegard is has technicians that can walk you through most issues with Dish and Direct and are very knowledgeable in both carriers, whereas Dish and Direct have no knowledge of Winegard products and are no help whatsoever if you are not using their equipment. 

He found out that it takes a H24 or older receiver.

On 5/3/2021 at 5:41 PM, pinger said:

My neighbor just purchased a 5th  with a Winegard Travlr sk3005 satellite dish.  When it's raised it locks in on 101 110 119 instead of 101 99 103  He called winegard and they had him on hold for 45minutes until he hung up. Does he have a major problem or is it something he can fix.

With all due respect, the SK3005 is designed to lock onto 101, 110 and 119.  When it is locked to those three the LNB for 99 and 103 will be in the correct position.   There are two different kinds of LNBs on the Sk3005 because 101, 110, and 119 broadcast on the Ku band and 99 and 103 use the Ka band.

The Sk3005 can easily be converted to use with the H25 receiver and the SWM configuration by the addition of a SWM8 switch and a PI29 power inserter.  All of this is detailed in a Winegard publication which can be accessed here:  Use of Winegard satellite systems with SWM   

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On 5/31/2021 at 2:48 PM, docj said:

With all due respect, the SK3005 is designed to lock onto 101, 110 and 119.  When it is locked to those three the LNB for 99 and 103 will be in the correct position.   There are two different kinds of LNBs on the Sk3005 because 101, 110, and 119 broadcast on the Ku band and 99 and 103 use the Ka band.

The Sk3005 can easily be converted to use with the H25 receiver and the SWM configuration by the addition of a SWM8 switch and a PI29 power inserter.  All of this is detailed in a Winegard publication which can be accessed here:  Use of Winegard satellite systems with SWM   

Thanks to docj  He saw your comment and ordered a swm8  and a Pi29 and he only wants to hook up one tv.. after he gets them I will let you know how it works..again Thanks

3 minutes ago, pinger said:

Thanks to docj  He saw your comment and ordered a swm8  and a Pi29 and he only wants to hook up one tv.. after he gets them I will let you know how it works..again Thanks

I ran mine that way for >8 years until I discontinued DirecTV and switched exclusively to streaming video.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 4:43 PM, docj said:

I ran mine that way for >8 years until I discontinued DirecTV and switched exclusively to streaming video.

He got his swm8 and pi29 and everything is working as you said it would..now he can use his h25 in his trailer and his home without changing receivers..Thanks again