Spray on Wax for HDT

Vegas Teacher

2 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I liked Trimster’s suggestion too.  I might try the Turtle Wax product.

Turtle Wax has a new line of products out. One of them is called ' One And Done '. Do a Google search and see what you think. I have not tried it. But it looks interesting. 

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

While in college was a detailer at a higher end body shop, learned a ton, great life experience.

Anyway, some basics (by paint I mean color and clear, lets just consider then one).

- Doing anything on paint will scratch it (even washing), lubrication (water / soap) reduces the size of the scratches

- Wax protects the paint

- Buffing removes some of the paint which removes the scratches

- Clay bars remove contaminants from paint

Bad paint can't be magically fixed without new paint.  But... a cut and buff make an amazing difference in the visual of the truck.

The process if you are cutting,

- Wash

- clay bar (with water, lots of water); I personally like the synthetic clay bars better, but its a preference

- buff with orbiter and cutting compound starting with the most aggressive cut needed based on the state of the paint

- [optional: depends how aggressive the first pass was] buff with less aggressive cutting compound until you are down to least aggressive compound

- wash

- wax

The 'all in one' products are significantly less effective then the purpose built waxes but they are less work.  Personally I'll do a cut and buff process once every couple of years and just wash and maybe wax once a year after that.  I really really like the Griot's Garage www.griotsgarage.com line of products, their orbiters are very very good for a DIY user and they have tons of intel on their site to learn from.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

5 hours ago, steiny93 said:

While in college was a detailer at a higher end body shop, learned a ton, great life experience.

Anyway, some basics (by paint I mean color and clear, lets just consider then one).

- Doing anything on paint will scratch it (even washing), lubrication (water / soap) reduces the size of the scratches

- Wax protects the paint

- Buffing removes some of the paint which removes the scratches

- Clay bars remove contaminants from paint

Bad paint can't be magically fixed without new paint.  But... a cut and buff make an amazing difference in the visual of the truck.

The process if you are cutting,

- Wash

- clay bar (with water, lots of water); I personally like the synthetic clay bars better, but its a preference

- buff with orbiter and cutting compound starting with the most aggressive cut needed based on the state of the paint

- [optional: depends how aggressive the first pass was] buff with less aggressive cutting compound until you are down to least aggressive compound

- wash

- wax

The 'all in one' products are significantly less effective then the purpose built waxes but they are less work.  Personally I'll do a cut and buff process once every couple of years and just wash and maybe wax once a year after that.  I really really like the Griot's Garage www.griotsgarage.com line of products, their orbiters are very very good for a DIY user and they have tons of intel on their site to learn from.

I have a 7 inch buffer from Harbor Freight, it spins really fast in one direction, it is not a random orbital buffer. Is this safe to use on the hood of the semi. I know a lot of stuff at Harbor Freight is not top of the line but for a one and done ( which is why I got it ) but got to thinking about some of the stuff that was posted. I also heard if you mix vinegar in with the soap it would help to start taking off the oxidized paint, is that B.S. or truth????

Later,

Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher

37 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I have a 7 inch buffer from Harbor Freight, it spins really fast in one direction, it is not a random orbital buffer. Is this safe to use on the hood of the semi. I know a lot of stuff at Harbor Freight is not top of the line but for a one and done ( which is why I got it ) but got to thinking about some of the stuff that was posted. I also heard if you mix vinegar in with the soap it would help to start taking off the oxidized paint, is that B.S. or truth????

Later,

in my opinion the fast speed will take off too much paint too fast.  Out on a flat area it might not, but then suddenly your edges will be missing paint.  Might be the speed or the heat buildup.  I defer to others with more experience tho.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I have a 7 inch buffer from Harbor Freight, it spins really fast in one direction, it is not a random orbital buffer.

That's a modified grinder, not a buffer. Get the Dual Action, save the paint. A lot less finesse needed with a D/A.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

19 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Thanks, I don't want to F!@# up my paint I want to make it shine. Appreciate the advice!

Hey Cory,

There is another web site out there called ' Auto Geek '. Mike has some real nice videos also talking about auto detailing. The Porter Cable machine, the speed can be adjusted. Do a search on the Porter Cable and see what this tool can do. I don't believe the Porter Cable will do any damage to your paint. The big key is to use the correct pad when polishing.

Who knows, maybe your car would like to shine. 😎 

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

17 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Might be the speed or the heat buildup

Your buffer sounds more like a grinder, which is designed to removing material, which builds heat, a BAD component for paint finishes.  It will soften and ball up the finish and then remove it, which is not what you are after.  Removing contaminents is the goal.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Marcel

On 3/10/2021 at 2:39 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

O.K. So I went on Amazon and ordered the Mothers clay bar, microfiber towel and 3 different polishes and waxes to get my truck looking good. I am going to use good old elbow grease to get it shined up.

Cory O

Yesterday I got an Iowa 80 email with all their colorful buffing products for sale. If I were a conspiracy theory person I might think the internet was listening to our conversation.  😀 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

Yesterday I got an Iowa 80 email with all their colorful buffing products for sale. If I were a conspiracy theory person I might think the internet was listening to our conversation.  😀 

You know you could have something there. I am watching all of the old X-files on Hulu right now too. By the way I can't remember if I have told you this but your rig is really nice looking. I like the striping on it.

I think I-80 chrome is the same chain as I-44 chrome too. I went on the I-44 chrome website (Joplin Missouri) and ordered a catalogue I could hold and read and look at before I go to sleep, and the catalogue I got said I - 80 Chrome instead. My home town is 30 minutes from Joplin Mo. I am from Pittsburg Kansas. Yep No H in my Pittsburg.

Later,

Cory O

On 3/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

Later,

Hey Cory,

The orbital buffer is 'safer' as it doesn't spin in the same pattern vs a regular buffer when does the same circle pattern.  You can do paint correction with either but with an orbital its very difficult to burn paint.  When I detailed we didn't have orbitals, they are usable just don't stay in the same place and don't get to aggressive with the cutting compound.  Harbor does have an dual action orbital that people really like, its cheap.

Not sure on the vinegar idea, I'd vote for cutting compound and a dual action orbital.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

On 3/10/2021 at 2:39 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

O.K. So I went on Amazon and ordered the Mothers clay bar, microfiber towel and 3 different polishes and waxes to get my truck looking good. I am going to use good old elbow grease to get it shined up.

Cory O

Wash it really well, use water when you clay bar it.  Also, don't start on the hood, start where you aren't going to see it every time you get in the truck, do the hood last.  You can always start on the roof to practice.

Doing an HDT by hand is going to kick your butt and the results will be less then what you can get power tools.  Do a few youTube searches and go from their, I'm guessing after an hour by hand you'll be looking pretty hard at the buffer :).

Oh, and if you can do this inside or under shade.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

19 minutes ago, steiny93 said:

Doing an HDT by hand is going to kick your butt and the results will be less then what you can get power tools.  Do a few youTube searches and go from their, I'm guessing after an hour by hand you'll be looking pretty hard at the buffer :).

I looked up the buffer at Harbor, It think 22.00 is worth just the fun factor to see if it will work, thanks for the advice!

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana

3 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

You know you could have something there. I am watching all of the old X-files on Hulu right now too. By the way I can't remember if I have told you this but your rig is really nice looking. I like the striping on it.

Thanks Cory, we got lucky. For some reason the striping was done at the factory we think.  I can’t see a fleet owner striping one truck in the fleet. We like it too. The dark navy (instead of black) has grown on me. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

So I ordered the mother's clay bar and polishing kit off of Amazon, it has 2 yellow clay bars and clay bar lube, micro fiber cloth and 3 polishes with it. It comes last week mid week, I get all psyched up ready to use it and our weekend turns off cold and kind of miserable. This weekend I go to Delano California to do Schutzhund practice and Sunday I have welding to do for a friend, so I guess I won't get to use it until spring break for CCSD. 

I am also looking at long throw random orbital polishers, oh boy do I love new tools. I have watched several reviews and see that the Bauer model at Harbor Freight is not at the top of the list. The porter cable model looks really nice.

Later Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher