Class A Toyhauler

Bert2

Since the new pickups are too high and won't back under my existing fifth wheel or clear my garage door I am thinking getting a used Class A toy hauler in a couple of years so I have started my research. I have only seen 3 models so far, the Damon Outlaw, the Gulfstream Bounty Hunter and the Newmar Canyon Star. Are there any other models I have not found? I am leaning towards a Freightliner Chassis with the 6.7 Cummins FRED (front engine diesel) or the Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 GM gas V8. The Ford V10 I am not interested in. I am noticing about a $20,000 premium for the FRED diesel setup. Is it worth the premium? I would like to have the diesel for the exhaust brake for the long downhill grades. I would also prefer the generator to run on the same fuel as the engine and not on propane. I am 3 years from retirement and would expect to put about 10,000 miles on the coach per year once I retire. I welcome all suggestions and thoughts.

Edited by Bert2
grammer

I got a Class A DP with a Hydralift for the bike. I had a fifth wheel toy hauler first and found the garage to be wasted living space. But I am a fulltimer. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I like the Ford V10 but found out on a trip with my friend that the Ford dealers wouldn't help him and I had the local Ford  dealer lie to me twice. The local GM dealer has been very good to me though. I want to take my quad and motorcycle with me so that is why I am looking at a Class A toyhauler. Currently I take one or the other in a cargo trailer behind my fifth wheel trailer.

Edited by Bert2
grammer

40 minutes ago, Bert2 said:

I like the Ford V10 but found out on a trip with my friend that the Ford dealers wouldn't help him and I had the local Ford  dealer lie to me twice. The local GM dealer has been very good to me though. I want to take my quad and motorcycle with me so that is why I am looking at a Class A toyhauler. Currently I take one or the other in a cargo trailer behind my fifth wheel trailer.

We had a recall done by a Ford dealer . They even arranged for the mechanic to come to our site and do the work , at no cost . 

I haul a Yamaha XT350 , a Suzuki FA50 , my 1957 Simplex Automatic and way too many tools behind our class A .

I recall once crossing the southern Rockies , I forgot to disable the cruise and about a third of the way up , the tranny did it for me . I was in neutral for a couple seconds . I don't forget , anymore . ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

I have considered a flat deck on a new pickup but have trouble with the concept of spending about $5,000 US for a flat deck with storage boxes on top of the price of a new truck. I am also concerned about the height of the truck for my wife and I to get into the cab as we get older. My current truck is a 2006 and I had planned to replace it in 2016 but replacing the truck and trailer is a bit more than I want to spend. That is why we are looking at used Class A toy haulers.

Keep the suggestions and thoughts coming. I am open to all ideas and suggestions. I will research for the Safari coach.