Internet Speeds

CapeMayAl

I've been using reseller cellular for about 2 years now through mobile hotspot devices.  I've been pretty happy.

The terrain is changing and prices are going up. Unlimited data - real unlimited data - runs about $99 - $140 depending on the reseller.

But, more and more, the providers are throwing in throttling and deprioritizing service.  I use between 350 and 400 gigs a month.

Question is - what difference is there between 4g LTE, 3g and 2g speeds.  Will it be noticeable?

Thanks
Al 

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

3G will feel much slower, but you can do email and a small amount of internet usage with patience.  2g will feel like nothing is happening and you will wonder if you are online at all.  

I am sure you already use https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ to get your information.  I just go the Calyx Institute Sprint plan, $500 for the first year for unlimited at full speed.  I am planning to use it as my main plan,  supplemented by my no longer available Verizon and AT&T plans.  Many who depend on internet for work are paying hundreds per month.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Bill, Thanks for the info above.  Lots of information on the RV mobile internet site.  We have been 95% happy with our Verizon coverage, extremely unhappy with the cost.  We are new to full timing, and really need to cut this cost down.  

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:43 AM, Sculptor said:

Bill, Thanks for the info above.  Lots of information on the RV mobile internet site.  We have been 95% happy with our Verizon coverage, extremely unhappy with the cost.  We are new to full timing, and really need to cut this cost down.  

Visible will do that for you. Cut costs that is. Verizon service too.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I signed up for Visable primarily as a data backup plan, and also ported my existing phone number to it.  It's the only voice plan I have.

It's hard to beat $25 a month for unlimited voice, text, and data.  I signed up about 2 months ago.  The default price is $40 a month, if you join a "Party", with 4 or more members, it becomes $25 a month.  I chose to join RVmobileInteret's Party because they support Escapees and I assumed they would have a fairly large group, so the odds of the size dropping to a total of 3 or less people seemed remote.  Their referal code included in this link:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/visible-makes-changes-to-party-pay-referral-codes-and-international-calling-texting/

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

I have used hotspot mobile routers in the car, restaurants, etc. tried 3 different companies - resellers (MVNO) and each time the service fell way short of their advertising.

I read about Calyx Institute on Escapees.  $600/year or $150/3 months.  Includes Modem.

On Sprint/T-Mobile.

I'm very happy.  Service has been flawless.  Email's from Catie in Customer Service has been Excellent.

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email