Jump to content

HDT conversion in florida


Recommended Posts

HI MY NAME IS LENIUSKA, i live in florida, my husband and I we have a HDT that we are trying to get the titles converted in a motorhome but when i check the requirements they say i can not put a fifth wheel on the back. There is any conversion that allows me to put the fifth wheel ? 

Also the insurance is a problem i have been trying to put insurance on my HDT but they say is a comercial trucks so the offer me comercial insurance. My question is how i can use my HDT to pull my fifth wheel and not having to pay comercial insurance? Or how can i register my truck for personal use so i can pull my fifth wheel.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Leni said:

But for the comercial policy  you need to have CDL class A to drive it and also the truck need to have DOT number?

Not in Texas. It is for non commercial use. Should not be in Florida either. If you get a commercial policy for commercial use, yes. Some states register duallys commercial. Not uncommon. Only if it is used commercially will it need DOT and you cdl

Edited by GlennWest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, usbusin said:

I am sure someone will chime in here, but my understanding is that Florida does not allow a private party HDT to pull a 5th wheel trailer.

That is correct, but only for an RV. You can register it as a private truck, but that's significantly more than an RV would be. Jay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Jack stated, Florida will NOT allow you to register your tractor as a motorhome. Our Kenworth was a fully equipped (kitchen/ bathroom w/shower/ full sized bed, etc) tractor with 170" of living quarters exactly like a small Class C type motorhome inside. But as long as the fifth wheel (or a gooseneck) hitch was attached to the tractor and the intent was to pull a fifth wheel RV or gooseneck type of trailer, it could not be legally registered within Florida. Not to say that a person could not temporarily remove the hitch, register the tractor as a "motorhome" and then replace the hitch afterwards and then run illegally with it. For us, the risk were to great! I will scan and post the Florida documents pertaining to this given to us by DMV and which clearly define this restriction.

So, we currently run under a Florida registration which classifies our Volvo as a type "RMR" vehicle, and because we registered the GCVWR at less than 55K are not required to pay the Heavy Highway Use Tax which runs about $550.00/ year. Our annual plate (sticker) renewal will run slightly more than $300/year. If you find a better deal to legally register your tractor/toter, please share it as we too would be interested.

Someone put this here on this site but i haven't be able to contact him. 

I don't know what RMR means and i look for it but nothing came up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...