HDT conversion in florida

Leni

HI MY NAME IS LENIUSKA, i live in florida, my husband and I we have a HDT that we are trying to get the titles converted in a motorhome but when i check the requirements they say i can not put a fifth wheel on the back. There is any conversion that allows me to put the fifth wheel ? 

Also the insurance is a problem i have been trying to put insurance on my HDT but they say is a comercial trucks so the offer me comercial insurance. My question is how i can use my HDT to pull my fifth wheel and not having to pay comercial insurance? Or how can i register my truck for personal use so i can pull my fifth wheel.

20210208_152011.jpg

One can get commercial insurance for non commercial use. It is reasonable and gives one more flexibility of usage. This is about the only legal way I know of in Florida. You can register it in another state. Some have done that. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Hi Leni - welcome 

My truck is insured in Canada - like Glenn said I have a "commercial" policy that reflects the weight and use of the truck for personal/rv purpose. The truck is valued 2X what my pickup is but costs about 65% of the pickup's premium. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

6 minutes ago, Leni said:

But for the comercial policy  you need to have CDL class A to drive it and also the truck need to have DOT number?

Not in Texas. It is for non commercial use. Should not be in Florida either. If you get a commercial policy for commercial use, yes. Some states register duallys commercial. Not uncommon. Only if it is used commercially will it need DOT and you cdl

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 minutes ago, Leni said:

Yes

I would call someone else. Insurance companies don't care how it is registered. Just how it is used. My buddy Phil has his registered as a MH and commercial non commercial use policy thru State Farm

5 minutes ago, usbusin said:

I am sure someone will chime in here, but my understanding is that Florida does not allow a private party HDT to pull a 5th wheel trailer.

That is correct, but only for an RV. You can register it as a private truck, but that's significantly more than an RV would be. Jay

As Jack stated, Florida will NOT allow you to register your tractor as a motorhome. Our Kenworth was a fully equipped (kitchen/ bathroom w/shower/ full sized bed, etc) tractor with 170" of living quarters exactly like a small Class C type motorhome inside. But as long as the fifth wheel (or a gooseneck) hitch was attached to the tractor and the intent was to pull a fifth wheel RV or gooseneck type of trailer, it could not be legally registered within Florida. Not to say that a person could not temporarily remove the hitch, register the tractor as a "motorhome" and then replace the hitch afterwards and then run illegally with it. For us, the risk were to great! I will scan and post the Florida documents pertaining to this given to us by DMV and which clearly define this restriction.

So, we currently run under a Florida registration which classifies our Volvo as a type "RMR" vehicle, and because we registered the GCVWR at less than 55K are not required to pay the Heavy Highway Use Tax which runs about $550.00/ year. Our annual plate (sticker) renewal will run slightly more than $300/year. If you find a better deal to legally register your tractor/toter, please share it as we too would be interested.

Someone put this here on this site but i haven't be able to contact him. 

I don't know what RMR means and i look for it but nothing came up

Florida is a tough one. Do a search on here. There has been a lot of posting on this. Fact is you will not get it registered as a MH with a fifth wheel hitch. But I see no need to insure it as commercial. 

The best reason to insure as commercial - depending on your circumstances - is to avoid restrictions in use. You also get base liability of $1M, but there are other ways to handle that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

5 minutes ago, Leni said:

I don't want it as a motorhome but the not comercial insurance i can't find it. I need an insurance company 

Tried State Farm? Know they offer it. Big5ther, aka Phil, uses them

Sent you a PM with another suggestion. 

Rod

ps. LLC

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Leni, you have to register truck non commercial with weight of truck and trailer. We are Fla residents. He will have to have CDL lic. I had never been in an HDT. I went thru 90 day cdl course at local votech school. Best thing I ever did. We have truck, Rv and smart insured thru National general.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org