Employment background checks on the road

Dr.Zaius

Hi all, 

I am a remote worker and have been living and working on the road for the past 2 years. I have established my domicile in Texas through my Escapees address. 

I recently accepted a new job offer (also remote) for a large corporation. During the interview process, I explained my situation to the hiring company as being based in Texas but actually being nomadic and traveling. The HR representative said, "as long as you are based in Texas, you can be away as long as you want." I am now undergoing a background check.  

It has suddenly occurred to me that it could potentially cause an issue in a background check for my home address to come up as an Escapees address. The hiring manager,  hr rep, and all of my coworkers are cool with my situation, but I am not sure if the escapees address will be flagged as an invalid location (despite being OK by my bank and paying all my taxes through it). 

Has anyone else had a similar situation arise? Did it cause you any issues?

For 20 years I worked for and hired for a fortune 100 company, background checks were a crap shoot of oddities.

At the end of the day the 'company' is looking to validate what a candidate said aligns to what the back ground check comes back with.  If you said your home address was xyz and that is what the background check returns your golden.  If they are different then depending on the company you can either get an opportunity to explain it or some companies just drop the candidate and look elsewhere.

I personally don't recall seeing address's 'flagged' as being invalid, rather I recall a lot of situations where the candidate would claim to have lived or worked somewhere.  But the validation couldn't confirm.  

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg