Changing tow vehicle - what needs to be repurchased?

amarie1

I purchased a used 2017 Class C last year that came with a toad, a stick-shift 2006 VW Rabbit, and the equipment to tow it:  

• Blue Ox tow bars w/attachments
  • Electrical harness
  • Safety chains
  • Patriot II braking system

I am considering getting an older (2010-2014) Honda CRV or similar to tow behind it instead, since the stick-shift is just not my friend. (I've tried.) I have someone I could sell the VW Rabbit to. 

I sorta know that the Patriot II braking system can be used in any toad. The Rabbit has a couple pieces attached to its front grill for hooking up the tow bar and safety chains. The RV has a step-down (?) hitch so the tow bar is even with the Rabbit. 

Has anyone switched toads before like this? Do I need to start all over again with the towing equipment? 

Thanks,

AM

image.png

Edited by amarie1

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

Everything you have should still work on the CRV. You will need a new or used base plate for the CRV if the car you buy doesn’t already have one and you may need to add the electric cord connector to the CRV as well as a wiring harness for the CRVs break lights. I would call the maker of the Patriot braking system and verify that if will work in the CRV and if yes you may have to set up the CRV to use it by connecting it to the CRVs break peddle. All of the above is very inexpensive.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

45 minutes ago, amarie1 said:

ah ... so that would be something like this?

That is exactly what you will need for a CR-V. If you do buy one, you can verify that it is one of the years that can be towed by checking in the owner's manual as they had a section in it that was titled "Towing Your CR-V Behind a Motorhome." Base plates are specific to the make and model of automobile so get the car first, unless it comes with one already on it. Unless the CR-V purchased has been previously towed, it will need the lighting kit installed because that isn't a standard part. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes 2014 is the last year you can tow a CR-V. I have one and nearly waited to long to buy it. I didn't know it was the last year till a friend told me. 

I didn't know Walmart sold those. Learn something new all the time. 

Blue Ox does have a good wiring harness.

Bill 

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-