Will be parking and living in one place for a few months. Learned my lesson recently. I arrived in RV resort on January 1st and never started the coach for six weeks. Surprise. The battery was dead. A simply boost worked, but lesson learned. I contacted Freightliner and they recommended a trickler charger. There are several on the market and all essentially do the same thing. Some connected to the house batteries, some do not.

Would love recommendations, ideas.  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Solar panel best.

Thanks, great idea. So when parked do you just run he wire down the side of the rig and into that battery compartment? Do you hide the wire, or doesn't it really matter - just a matter of aesthetics.

I presume AMAZON is the best place to buy?

While solar would work, if you are parking for extended periods where you have full hookups, there is no need to go to that expense of amount of work. When we were on the road we would park for 2 or 3 months at several locations each year to volunteer for our site. I used a simple battery minder/float charger that I installed semipermanently into the rig. I simply connected it each time that we stopped for an extended period and didn't start the engine until a few days before travel again, disconnecting it at that time. Doing this, we had a starting battery that was healthy for 7+ years. 

There is a wide selection of such devices available from Amazon

I used this one from Schumacher on ours and still do. 

71S26rS3nRL._AC_UY436_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Edited by Kirk W

I agree with the choice of those smart chargers.  They are "set and forget".  I have 4 of them connected to vehicles that i rarely drive. They are three 1.5 amp for my motorcycles and one 3 amp for my double battery Freightl

Edited by orca

I vote for the small battery minder/float charger. Does a perfect job except when parked to far from a the electric source. My unit is mounted on the frame and is weather tight. Can't tell you the brand but 6 years old now and working fine.

This winter solar would not have been a good source as of yesterday I still over 12 inches of ice and snow on the roof

Clay

I have used a small electric battery minder for a few years with great success.  Only problem being the extension cord. Had a young new hire wrap my cord around his weed trimmer. Where I am now my truck has to be parked out on the street, so the cord would be an issue.  

Being near Quartzite I drove over to "Solar Bill's" and 10 min. later drove out with a 90W Zamp folding solar panel.  Everything ready to go. It fits on top of my drom box & comes with 16' of wire so you have some flexibility to get your best shot at the sun.  So far I'm happy & I suspect I will find other uses if the truck is no longer part of our journey.

Todd

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

While solar would work, if you are parking for extended periods where you have full hookups, there is no need to go to that expense of amount of work. When we were on the road we would park for 2 or 3 months at several locations each year to volunteer for our site. I used a simple battery minder/float charger that I installed semipermanently into the rig. I simply connected it each time that we stopped for an extended period and didn't start the engine until a few days before travel again, disconnecting it at that time. Doing this, we had a starting battery that was healthy for 7+ years. 

There is a wide selection of such devices available from Amazon

I used this one from Schumacher on ours and still do. 

71S26rS3nRL._AC_UY436_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

I can get a 250 watt panel for $45.00. Yes, have to have a charge controller for one I thinking of. But there is 12v panels.

3 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

I vote for the small battery minder/float charger. Does a perfect job except when parked to far from a the electric source. My unit is mounted on the frame and is weather tight. Can't tell you the brand but 6 years old now and working fine.

This winter solar would not have been a good source as of yesterday I still over 12 inches of ice and snow on the roof

Clay

so I have an outlet, near my batteries (in my coach) I presume I can plug it in to that which is plugged into shore power? Right?

1 minute ago, Tim and Peggy said:

so I have an outlet, near my batteries (in my coach) I presume I can plug it in to that which is plugged into shore power? Right?

yes. And I was thinking about an HDT with the solar panel. 

• 2 weeks later...