Netgear Nighthawk M1 - need help finding a provider

m48104

Hi, I want to stream to Youtube while I'm driving. It's fairly easy to do with the Youtube app and a cell phone, however I want to use a GoPro or another camera with better video quality. So, I need a 4G modem that I can plug my laptop and video encoder into. I bought a Netgear Nighthawk M1 and I called AT&T but they kept transferring me to different numbers. It seemed nobody knew much about it. I also asked Ting on their webchat and they said they don't support the Nighthawk. So who am I supposed to use as a data plan for the Nighthawk? I'm looking for about 20gb per month and $25-$40. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

So... you joined an RV forum to ask technical questions that, if implemented, would be dangerous to fiddle with while driving? There are much better places to ask this type of question.

Well there are lots of other people on Youtube doing this. Even people driving 18 wheelers. Sorry hope that doesn't make you nervous. What I'm doing would hopefully be less distracting since there's no screen on the gopro to fiddle with. I've had a dashcam on my car since 2013 and haven't found it distracting. 

I don't see a problem with what you want to do.  I ran a gopro on my motorcycle for years with no problem, just turn it on and let it do it's thing.

I didn't know you could stream it to youtube all month and use just 20 gb.  I also don't know where you can get 20 gb month for $40, but a good place to start looking is HERE

27 minutes ago, durangodon said:

I don't see a problem with what you want to do.  I ran a gopro on my motorcycle for years with no problem, just turn it on and let it do it's thing.

I didn't know you could stream it to youtube all month and use just 20 gb.  I also don't know where you can get 20 gb month for $40, but a good place to start looking is HERE

I was just going to use it for maybe 3-10 hours a week, no constantly on. I've been reading reviews of the Nighthawk on Amazon and I guess it's actually blocked now on a lot of carriers.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:57 PM, sheldons65 said:

It’s not blocked. You just have to know how to adjust the carrier settings and also pick the right data plan. I suggest going here:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com

Ok, I guess if I can't get it working I might try that website.

I just got the Nighthawk M1 today (new from Amazon) and tried signing up on the T-mobile website. I wanted the $50 / 100gb plan. It says the IMEI is invalid. I guess I'll call them tomorrow and see why it's not accepting the IMEI. 

14 hours ago, m48104 said:

Ok, I guess if I can't get it working I might try that website.

I just got the Nighthawk M1 today (new from Amazon) and tried signing up on the T-mobile website. I wanted the $50 / 100gb plan. It says the IMEI is invalid. I guess I'll call them tomorrow and see why it's not accepting the IMEI. 

It's quite possible that the Nighthawk isn't approved on the T-Mobile network, at least for this particular plan.

Are you aware that T-Mobile is discounting the 5G M2000 hotspot so that its monthly price is ~$7 when you sign up for the 100GB plan?  The M2000 covers all the T-Mobile bands which the Nighthawk definitely won't and it provides 5G service (when available).

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

4 hours ago, docj said:

It's quite possible that the Nighthawk isn't approved on the T-Mobile network, at least for this particular plan.

Are you aware that T-Mobile is discounting the 5G M2000 hotspot so that its monthly price is ~$7 when you sign up for the 100GB plan?  The M2000 covers all the T-Mobile bands which the Nighthawk definitely won't and it provides 5G service (when available).

No I didn't know that. I guess I'll consider that.

The reason I was interested in the Nighthawk is because it has an ethernet port. I have a video encoder that prepares the video for sending to Youtube and it uses an ethernet port. I'm not sure if there would be any reliability problems if I have to encode the video and then send it wirelessly using my laptop or a Raspberry Pi through the 4G modem. 

I actually bought a second (refurbished) Nighthawk from Walmart, but it got delayed from the snow. It looks like it should get here soon. I guess I might buy a prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile card and try streaming with that. Even if it's like $70 for 10 gigabytes, that would still let me stream for a few hours. It might still be worth it if I had a couple thousand people watching.

I have a lot of subscribers on my channel but Youtube didn't approve my monetization request because they said the content was repetitive. So I'm hoping if I do a few live streams from interesting locations, they will approve monetization. 

Edited by m48104

22 hours ago, docj said:

The Nighthawk will work with T-mobile just fine but not all bands nor 5G. That is a great plan from T-mobile. I have it and the M2000. 

In the advanced configuration for the Nighthawk you have to enter the appropriate APN profile. 

ATT definitely supports the Netgear Nighthaw M1  or MR1100. I've been using it just fine on the ATT network so have many others. 

https://www.att.com/device-support/index/Netgear/NetgearMR1100/

Maybe the one the OP bought is isn't unlocked or is set up for another network? 

OP do you know how to get into the device using a laptop?

"The reason I was interested in the Nighthawk is because it has an ethernet port. I have a video encoder that prepares the video for sending to Youtube and it uses an ethernet port. I'm not sure if there would be any reliability problems if I have to encode the video and then send it wirelessly using my laptop or a Raspberry Pi through the 4G modem. "

With many hotsoots you can tether them to a router that has USB tethering, like the Pepwave Surf SOHo MK3 I use.  The Pepwave has 4 Ethernet ports.  This router is about $200, but you can get simpler ones for under $50 from GL.iNet with only one Ethernet port.

You can also find out if the MoFi 4500, about $300, is allowed on the network, but it is 4G only.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 9:03 AM, sheldons65 said:

The Nighthawk will work with T-mobile just fine but not all bands nor 5G. That is a great plan from T-mobile. I have it and the M2000. 

In the advanced configuration for the Nighthawk you have to enter the appropriate APN profile. 

ATT definitely supports the Netgear Nighthaw M1  or MR1100. I've been using it just fine on the ATT network so have many others. 

https://www.att.com/device-support/index/Netgear/NetgearMR1100/

Maybe the one the OP bought is isn't unlocked or is set up for another network? 

OP do you know how to get into the device using a laptop?

Yes I can figure out how to change the APN if I have to. I just called T-Mobile and subscribed to the $50 / 100GB plan. At first he offered me a 22GB and $85 per month plan, then I told him that I saw a $50/100GB plan on their website, and he switched me to that. I'm not sure why he offered that one at first and why the price difference is so big. 

I had a SIM card already that I bought on Amazon, but he said he was going to send me one since he didn't know if that one would work. I said I wasn't sure if the Nighthawk M1 would work, but he seemed pretty confident that it would, with the correct SIM card. 

Maybe I should have kept the Nighthawk M1 I bought on Amazon. The Walmart one has an AT&T icon on it and looks pretty used. Oh well. 

Just waiting for the SIM card to get here to see if it works. 

On 2/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, Bill Joyce said:

"The reason I was interested in the Nighthawk is because it has an ethernet port. I have a video encoder that prepares the video for sending to Youtube and it uses an ethernet port. I'm not sure if there would be any reliability problems if I have to encode the video and then send it wirelessly using my laptop or a Raspberry Pi through the 4G modem. "

With many hotsoots you can tether them to a router that has USB tethering, like the Pepwave Surf SOHo MK3 I use.  The Pepwave has 4 Ethernet ports.  This router is about $200, but you can get simpler ones for under $50 from GL.iNet with only one Ethernet port.

You can also find out if the MoFi 4500, about $300, is allowed on the network, but it is 4G only.  

Ok thanks, I didn't know you could do USB tethering to a router. I'll check those other routers out. I actually wouldn't mind if the modem doesn't do 5G, I'm not sure if that would interupt my video stream if it's switching between 4G/5G connections. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am in need of someone who can help me UN lock a Netgear Nighthawk router. My current provider will jump the price from $45/mo to $120/mo (same plan) on April the first. Told them NO THANKS!

I bought the nighthawk, so it is MINE, except it is locked to AT&T and I don't know how to get it unlocked. I want to switch to Invisible but can't with it locked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

JIMBO

No, I'm going to town tomorrow and see what they say. AT&T was what I had before KP and they were MUST unfriendly and LIED about a number of things. I swore I would never go back.....but I will try tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.

JIMBO