Windshield wipers are homeless.

Parrformance

I am not looking disparagingly at the wipers, being homeless and all.  I just want to do my part to help them find a loving home.

I need to turn the wipers on, wait till they get close to the home position, and quick turn them off.

If left to their own devices they will stop wherever they damn well are when you switch them off.

Might any of you successfully navigated a repair for this in a Volvo, with the Volvo D12 engine?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On my '99 Volvo, the wiper transmission drive doesn't lock onto the wiper motor, so that it can break away under load. The drive arm has spines, but the tapered motor shaft doesn't. If it slips, you can just loosen the nut, re-center the arm and re-tighten the nut. I actually replaced the motor unnecessarily to find this out. Not sure about other generations. Jay

My experience on cars having this same problem is that it typically is a result of a failure in the park circuit of the wiper motor itself.  Looks like they run about $160.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

51 minutes ago, Shawn Patterson said:

My experience on cars having this same problem is that it typically is a result of a failure in the park circuit of the wiper motor itself.  Looks like they run about $160.

That's what I thought too, until I took it out to replace it. Both my Volvos had the break away system. Jay

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

That's what I thought too, until I took it out to replace it. Both my Volvos had the break away system. Jay

With what you describe as the breakaway system, the wipers would still park reliably, just not at “home”.

When you can’t get the wipers to stop at all, or just a very short window, it is electrical, typically in the motor as that is where the park switching usually is.

Either way, beats my old Freightliner from years past. Air wipers with intermittent function. Some days they worked and some days they didn’t.

24 minutes ago, Moresmoke said:

With what you describe as the breakaway system, the wipers would still park reliably, just not at “home”.

When you can’t get the wipers to stop at all, or just a very short window, it is electrical, typically in the motor as that is where the park switching usually is.

Either way, beats my old Freightliner from years past. Air wipers with intermittent function. Some days they worked and some days they didn’t.

Yes, that's true. I've experienced the random parking wherever it wanted to, so I suspected the motor. One time, it wasn't the motor. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. Jay

7 hours ago, Shawn Patterson said:

This sounds right, from a long time ago.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Jackalopee

The motor did indeed resolve the homelessness of the wipers!!

They are no longer pitching a tent wherever they want on my windshield, but are returning home after there work is complete.

Thank you all for your help.

Michael

Jackalopee

39 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

The motor did indeed resolve the homelessness of the wipers!!

They are no longer pitching a tent wherever they want on my windshield, but are returning home after there work is complete.

Thank you all for your help.

Michael

That's great! Always nice when something works out! Jay