Texas Vehicle Inspection

aztex

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 7,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection. In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional information such as: Weight Certificate.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 7,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection. In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional information such as: Weight Certificate.

A note on the weight certificate that we ran into when we registered our RV. The weight they want is an empty weight, not possible when you are living in it. The DMV settled for a photo with the weight sticker on the RV that also had the VIN. The clerk was sure this would work and so took it to her supervisor who submitted it to the state and it was accepted.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Polk County was perfectly happy to accept a photo of my sticker, showing the weights of my trailer (both the weight of the trailer when it left the factory and it’s GVWR are less than than 7500 lbs).  A friend of mine who moved to the Fort Worth area said that he had to have an actual weigh ticket for his trailer, so I guess some counties might have different rules/policies?  I’m no expert at this, just know what Polk County required in 2019.

21 minutes ago, aztex said:

Online specs says GVWR 7600 lbs BUT sticker says GVWR 7300 lbs so I should be ok! Manufactured weight only 5300 lbs.

I don't know this, but I would guess that the only thing that matters is what the title says.  In most States, the title weight is based on the manufacturer's certificate of origin.  Does your title list a GVWR?

2 hours ago, aztex said:

Online specs says GVWR 7600 lbs BUT sticker says GVWR 7300 lbs so I should be ok! Manufactured weight only 5300 lbs.

Why not take all of the guessing out of the issue and call Polk Co. and ask them? They are happy to assist Escapees, and should be back in the office tomorrow. 

On 2/21/2021 at 10:13 AM, durangodon said:

I don't know this, but I would guess that the only thing that matters is what the title says.  In most States, the title weight is based on the manufacturer's certificate of origin.  Does your title list a GVWR?

I have a lien so only registration and bill of sale and neither say anything about weight. I suppose it's the "sticker" that matters.

BTW should I get some sort of letter from my lien holder/loan company maybe?

On 2/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Kirk W said:

Why not take all of the guessing out of the issue and call Polk Co. and ask them? They are happy to assist Escapees, and should be back in the office tomorrow. 

Ya know...I've called twice and get an impatient operator who thinks all my questions are stupid so working it out here a better idea me thinks!

When I registered my trailer in 2019, they didn’t care what the California title said, they wanted a photo of the sticker.

IIRC, Texas offers the ability to register your vehicle without changing the title to Texas for situations where you have a lien.  The official Texas website for vehicle registration had some good information about it. There may be something there about whether you should have something from the leinholder (I owned my rig outright so didn’t pay any attention to that part).

the tag on my rig has been erased by the sun, nothing on the title, or any paperwork, but online says about 6100 pounds.

this is a small unit and is now 20 years old, and has been in great shape over the years.

so i guess if i still have it when i retire, i get to empty it out for a scale tag...... if i have it, and not "up graded" by then.

but is this weight thing for how much tax they charge you?

or just" other".

Edited by packnrat

13 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

When I registered my trailer in 2019, they didn’t care what the California title said, they wanted a photo of the sticker.

With a new RV the MSO lists both the empty and the gross weights from the manufacturer but I too have used the image of that sticker for registering a used RV in TX. In my case the used RV was previously registered in TX but they still wanted proof. It was quite some time ago, however.