Who Has Starlink?

Zulu

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got my invitation to get my Starlink, and for once in my life I am waiting on a new tech toy for about six months to a year this time. Three weeks after I bought my Tesla they dropped the price for my exact model by $3k.

I was chagrined when I saw I needed a clear view of the Northern sky. I thought it would be a Southern view needed. So I am waiting because my southern view of the sky is unobstructed for more than 180 degrees. But my backyard faces the last of the hill we are on and trees on each corner east and west. I am hoping later the pricing will be more in line with what I am paying now, 49.99 a month for up to 140Mbps speeds,which we get, and 15 bucks a month for the modem/router . Or if it is indeed unlimited data when my land provider caps us at 1TB/mo.

Even at $99 a month with unlimited data I'd switch. When enough sats are in the sky I hope I can shoot for directly overhead and South of us. We will see this year I believe.

I am reading all of your early adopter posts and feedback about it in the meantime. Good info.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

got my invitation to order star link today, for our S&B in south Florida. 

Regarding the mobility issue and field of view, here is the information from their web site;

Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

Can I change my service address?

Starlink is only approved for use at the Service Address you provided when you signed up on starlink.com. When placing your initial order, you will have the option to select a different Shipping Address to receive your Starlink packages.

If you have already ordered Starlink and your service address is changing please contact our Support team by logging into your account.

Why do I need a clear “field of view” to use Starlink?

If you could see the connection between a Starlink satellite and your Starlink, it would look like a single beam between the two objects. As the satellite moves, the beam also moves.

The area within which this beam moves is the “field of view”. If any object such as a tree, chimney, pole, etc. interrupts the path of the beam, even briefly, your internet service will be interrupted.

In early service, the required clear field of view is a 100-degree cone around the center of the dish (after tilting) with a 25 degree elevation minimum. Some obstructions are worse than others. Obstructions low in the sky will cause more outages because satellites are in this area of the sky more frequently.

The best guidance we can give is to install your Starlink at the highest elevation possible where it is safe to do so, with a clear view of the sky. Users who live in areas with lots of tall trees, buildings, etc. may not be good candidates for early use of Starlink. However as more satellites are launched, the field of view constraints will decrease, enabling a wider variety of users.

Most people do not accurately assess their Starlink's field of view. To ensure the best possible service, download the Starlink app to assess field of view in your desired install location before installing.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:13 PM, dlundby said:

......................................The dish warms up in cold weather to help melt snow. However, that feature is slow and only does a moderate job of melting the snow. When the temperature was 20 degrees the dish temperature was about 34. When we where at 35 below the dish temperature was about 16 below. At this point, the area I am in has not had a large dumping of snow; therefore, I do not know how the dish will handle a large accumulation of snow. We have had winds gusting to 75 mph and there were no issues.

Can you shut off the heater?? 

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

39 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

Can you shut off the heater?? 

From the tear down shown at the link below, I don't see anything that strikes me as a dedicated heater, just a LOT of heat generating IC's and other components. There's a photo of an installation on Reddit with icicles hanging off the dish and some ice on the face, with the notation the Internet connection was still maintained. I suspect the heat generated by the dish components is adequate to melt most ice or snow buildup, although not necessarily immediately under some conditions.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/12/teardown-of-dishy-mcflatface-the-spacex-starlink-user-terminal/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 minutes ago, durangodon said:

I can just hear this conversation now.  But Elon, this thing builds up a lot of heat.  Hey, we'll just tell everyone it's to keep the snow off.  Okay, yeah, great.

The large RF shield that covers the entire back of the array is also a heat sink thermally connected to the circuit board. I'd think the heat generation and dissipation's ability to melt snow and ice is just a fortunate side effect.

Dutch

Received my invitation February 9th and signed up immediately.  Received notification today that is was shipped and will arrive Thursday (25th).  Invitation said 2-4 weeks for delivery so 3 1/2 not bad.  

I have a 360 clear view of the sky here in sunny Central Oregon so, hopefully, it will work out well for me.  

Currently using wireless ISP and getting good service but speeds limited to 10-20Mbps which is OK but current $50/month plan allows only 100Gb before charging additional $1.85/Gb overage.   Happy with what I have but just had to have Starlink!  After years with HughesNet I had just about given up on satellite.  This should be much better.

Will share my results when I get it set up.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

21 hours ago, durangodon said:

I can just hear this conversation now.  But Elon, this thing builds up a lot of heat.  Hey, we'll just tell everyone it's to keep the snow off.  Okay, yeah, great.

I am off-grid, so heating with electricity doesn't work!!

I guess I will just put a on-off switch on it.

More troubling, is my lack of view to the north.   It is where a couple of yellow bellied ponderosa  pines live. 

Does anybody know if the app needs a internet connection to work??  I have no cell service.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

Does the antenna have to be placed outside?  Just curious.  My XM radio works inside, as does my Garmin GPS. 

The Starlink phased array antenna needs all the signal it can get, and anything blocking the sky view will attenuate the signal causing lowered performance if it can connect at all. SXM and GPS signals are one way transmissions that can work with a much smaller antenna than that needed for the two way Internet service.

Dutch

9 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The Starlink phased array antenna needs all the signal it can get, and anything blocking the sky view will attenuate the signal causing lowered performance if it can connect at all. SXM and GPS signals are one way transmissions that can work with a much smaller antenna than that needed for the two way Internet service.

If you download the Starlink app, you can use it to determine how much open sky a Starlink dish needs.  It wasn't as large a clear window as I was afraid it might need.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

12 hours ago, docj said:

If you download the Starlink app, you can use it to determine how much open sky a Starlink dish needs.  It wasn't as large a clear window as I was afraid it might need.

Yes, I noticed that as well...

Dutch

I’m a full timer and volunteer in National Parks in the summer. Often there is no cell signal. I have DirecTv for video, but no internet if I have no cell signal. Starlink would be wonderful to have for internet and streaming but currently requires a stationary address. Any idea how long it will be available for mobil positions like an RV?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

Any idea how long it will be available for mobil positions like an RV?

Suggest you check out the Starlink Reddit. Do a search on "mobile" or "RV" and you'll get a lot of predictions. I'm hearing 2022. I think SpaceX recently filed an FCC petition for mobile equipment and testing, but I believe Starlink will need a bunch more sats before mobile use is available. Regardless, check the Reddit.

Currently, here's a list of areas doing Starlink beta testing. I'm latitude 37 in CA.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

11 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Currently, here's a list of areas doing Starlink beta testing. I'm latitude 37 in CA.

Wow, nothing for the State of AZ

Currently, known Starlink beta testers are between 36.9 and 54.8 latitude. I'm at 37. AZ might have a bit of a wait . . .

Page, AZ is at 36

Kingman is at 35

Phoenix is at 33

Yuma is at 32

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs