Electricity supply problems?

Kirk W

Kirk we lost power when the snow started. That was in the night. Next evening got power till about 3:00 this morning. Came back on about 2:00 pm. Needless to say or small dogs and dw staying under the covers in bed till power. We couldn't even buy propane yesterday. Got 10 gal today. And first idem on agenda is a generator. This convinced me

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, Mr. Camper said:

Politics, grids, renewable energy, solar panels, BS.  Let's put the blame for all of this squarely where it belongs.  It's all the fault of Punxsutawney Phil.  If he hadn't seen his shadow we would be having spring-like weather, but no, he had to be afraid of his shadow and look at what that has caused!

have you ever had groundhog stew. Really delicious.

Phil

Currently just outside Albq. in the mountains at about 7000ft.  Pretty good snow and cold but not catastrophic. So far have not lost electric which is very good. Am set up to not need it if extreme but would not run that heater unless I can physically look at it while it is on.  Did not get as cold as expected last night but the next few nights could crack zero to 7 degrees if it goes as predicted. My solar panels are flat on roof and I can't get up to clear them so that is bad as it make electricity more critical.  It was a balmy 50 degrees in my TT this morning about 07:30 but  with fair sun has warmed up considerably. Out side is showing 36 degress at the moment.

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

Exactly. And solar panels don't even work at night!

Mostly. I once had incoming solar power from parking under a light in a Walmart parking lot. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Currently just outside Albq. in the mountains at about 7000ft.  Pretty good snow and cold but not catastrophic. So far have not lost electric which is very good. Am set up to not need it if extreme but would not run that heater unless I can physically look at it while it is on.  Did not get as cold as expected last night but the next few nights could crack zero to 7 degrees if it goes as predicted. My solar panels are flat on roof and I can't get up to clear them so that is bad as it make electricity more critical.  It was a balmy 50 degrees in my TT this morning about 07:30 but  with fair sun has warmed up considerably. Out side is showing 36 degress at the moment.

I don't know how practical this actually is, but I saw a video where some fellow tossed a rope up over the solar panels and with one person on each side dragged it sideways to dislodge the snow.

This NY Times article pretty much covers what's going on with storm related power issues. Including noting that the Texas power grid is connected to the Southwest Power Pool.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/15/us/storm-blackouts.html

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 hours ago, agesilaus said:

I don't know how practical this actually is, but I saw a video where some fellow tossed a rope up over the solar panels and with one person on each side dragged it sideways to dislodge the snow.

It is something I had considered but I am alone at this site for the time being and the way my panels are in relation to vents, antenna's and air conditioner it is not likely possible. Ideal situation is the weather cooperating at least a short time and I can use my 8ft step-ladder and a brush on about a 5ft pole. I just have to be really careful as I am not real mobile.  I did a little work up top using that ladder this summer without getting on the roof.  I might even have to melt ice to use the ladder. Wish I had thought to put it under the trailer. As long as I don't lose shore power I will be good and so far I haven't.  Thanks for the thought though.

Hemphill/Yellowpine close to Toledo Bend reservoir. Saw 2.1 ° at 0400 on 02/16. It has not been above freezing since 02/15. Maybe 4 inches of snow on the ground. We have been in our trailer in our pole barn since 02/16.  Very intermittent power. Apparently, we are on that rolling blackout schedule because we never lose power for over maybe to 3 to 4 hours. I threw the critical path switch (medical room, well pump and aerobic septic system) so these run straight off the battery bank and channel all shore power to the battery banks.  This is the first time in 10 years that my 7K of solar has not been able keep the batteries charged and we have put nil back into the grid since 02/13. Surely am glad I had the 500-gallon propane topped off just a week ago. I may have to breakdown and look an emergency standby generator.   

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

2 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

Incorrect.  Texas natural gas is also failing in the cold.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Yes.  Deep formation water is often produced with natural gas in the raw form at the well head.  It doesn't take much to cause freezing trouble at the surface if there is no insulation, heat trace, or methanol injection. 

In Canada companies call in truck mounted steamer units for thawing purposes. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.