Red Lights / Blue Lights Pulled over by Highway Patrol at 95 south and 157 Saturday Feb. 13, 2021

Vegas Teacher

Hello everybody! Happy Valentines day!

O.K. I have to tell the story starting on Friday for everybody to appreciate it.

So once again I go over to Pahrump from Vegas on Friday after a long week of teaching and grading comparison contrast papers written by my students on Mitosis and Meiosis. I love my kids and my job, but reading and giving input over the computer is difficult.

We leave Vegas on Friday at about 4:00 p.m. Two German Shepherds primed and ready for Bite work and Obedience training at Petrack Park & Rodeo Grounds. We are running bobtail and it is beautiful out. We stop in Indian Springs, I get a 6 pack of Modelo, put it on the Catwalk where I have dog kennels and a dog box full of stuff. We get to Pahrump that evening and train from 6:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. in the morning. All is good, others bring beer and I have 3 beers joking with the members of the club, I share some of mine they share some of theirs. 

Saturday Morning up and at them at 5:00 a.m. I have no idea why but I am hungover, honestly 3 beers like I said, but hung over. We move to Simpkins Park, AKC has it on Saturday Morning. Truck starts up running good, I had to top off Coolant but not a big deal. We practice until about 1:30. Part of the club goes out for lunch, not me and the "D.W." we will not get covid from something stupid. We wait. We get on the road at about 3:45. I am still not 100% but enough coffee and Monster energy drinks and Mountain Dew and I am good to go. 

O.K. Dolly Trolley can confirm this, but There were wind gusts up to 72 miles per hour on Saturday between Pahrump and Las Vegas NV. The trip between the two towns is a long stretch of highway between two mountain passes with miles of open desert on either side and in some areas foot hills are very close. Well dealing with the gusts of wind and keeping that Semi, running bobtail, on the road was a lot of fun. I would come out of an area protected by mountains into an open spot and get hit by a wind blowing across the highway that wanted to push me into the center of the two lane section of the portion of the trip I was on, yep 160 is all two lane out the back side of Pahrump and part of the trip is two lane on 95 south until 95 opens to 4 lane. 90% of 95 from Vegas to Reno is 2 lane highway, I wish it was 4 lane. Anyway.........

So it has been a very tense 80 miles between Pahrump and Vegas. I think I have left grip marks on the steering wheel in that amount of time. I finally get to 157 and 95, that is the Kyle Canyon turn off for Mt. Charleston and is now just outside of town due to all of our recent growth. I just start to relax thinking O.K. I got this. I am running 63 in a 65 mph zone. I see an N.V. Highway patrol in the median about a mile ahead. I think no big deal, I have had H.P. pass me all day long. As I pass him I look back in the mirror and notice him pull out, then I see his lights come on. I was the only car on the road at the time. OH $h!#, !@#$ me moment. I pull over. He pulls in behind me. what seems like forever I see him walk over to the passenger side. He asked me to exit the truck and to give him my license and registration along with my proof of insurance. Then he asks if he can board my truck. I tell him my wife is napping or was napping on the bed with my German Shepherd and I tell him if he enters the dog will not like it, but if he would wait a second I could get both of them out and he could go have a look around. Thank god the extra beer is still on the catwalk behind the cab. So he says no problem he really did not need to see in the truck. My license is just a regular license and I am still nervous about this but I don't say anything. So he asks me who I work for and I say I am a school teacher here in Las Vegas at Arbor View High School and I teach Biology. So he asks why a teacher is driving a Semi around Bobtail. I launch into a story that covers the last 6 years of my life, starting with my wife wanting a bigger trailer. 30 minutes later he is asking me about again and asking more questions because he likes this idea. So I then ask him what I did wrong or why I was getting pulled over. He said he was doing Safety inspections on trucks that day. He asked me if this was a daily driver and grocery getter, I told him no. He had pulled my registration before he came up to the door. So he knew how it was registered.

He turned out to be a really nice person. He told me to go on my way and have a great day. He thanked me for being knowledgeable of the rules and regulations and to drive safely. 

I think I have learned many times over now that if you are nice to law enforcement they will be good to you. I have a lot of friends in the Police, FBI and Fire because of Schutzhund. These guys love dogs. I told the officer about my dog and we talked about "Oldriska" too.

Well all was good, However......... I don't think that pair of pants will ever be able to be worn again, LOL

Happy Valentines Day once again!!!!

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana 

17 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

Another case of "What Goes Around, Comes Around".

Glad you were in compliance!

Also glad to hear you're being "extra safe" re Covid. I'm being extra safe in northeast TN. Maybe next year will be close to "the old normal".

Maybe we will be, I have vaccination shot #1 the next comes on March 9th. We don't go out, we don't go to the bar, we don't go shopping. Been locked up since March 2020 in our house waiting for things to blow over. However to me it is not worth taking a risk.

Speaking of Tennessee, my wife and I have looked at a lot of the South to retire to. Tennessee seems to be tax friendly and good prices on good on property prices. I want 25 to 50 acres to fix up a house and build a grand daddy of a barn and workshop, maybe put in a 5 acre pond. Wife retires  next year, I retire in May, 2028.

Vegas teacher

1 1/2 years ago I was pulling in for fuel in my home townof Hastings, Nebraska when I looked in my rear view to see I was being followed by the local police. I though oh no. I got out and he got out. He started asking questions about my truck. Come to find out he had been looking at HDT's.  Last fall I chased down a HDT and it was him. Our trucks are stored 200 foot from each other now.  You never know when someone you talk to will end up in the lifestyle.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Our very first trip out with our truck I also got stopped in Florida bobtailing after getting fuel and my story sounds much like yours excluding the dogs, I was polite and the trooper was as well and also was pleased about us using the hdt for pulling a heavy camper. I do think more LEO's are understanding what we do.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Cory,

I just went through this in Nevada. The requirements are below, but I am sure you already know them.  The hardest part of the tests is the worrying about passing. They are really not that difficult. This is the way it was explained to me.

If you are towing a trailer more than 10,000 lbs gvrw ( that is a pretty light 5th wheel) you need at least a J endorsement. If that combination is over 26,001 lbs you need a Class A non commercial. It really makes no difference what your rigs actually weigh , it is the manufactures gvw figures that count. If the vehicle has air brakes you need the air brake endorsement. So since most of out HDT’s are at or over 26,000 lbs GVWR anyway you really cannot legally tow anything without a Class A with your truck.

For me I just did not want to worry about it and needed to get my Class A. I am very glad I did. If it was explained to me incorrectly I apologize for passing on the error.

Nevada Class A

May drive any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds; or

Any combination of vehicles not exceeding 70 feet in length with a gross combination weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less so long as the gross combination weight rating of the towed vehicles does not exceed the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.

Class B

May drive any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or any vehicle which is towing another vehicle which does not have a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.

Class C

May drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of a vehicle for which a Class A or B driver’s license is required. May tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length and not to exceed a combined weight rating or a combined weight of more than 10,000 pounds without any additional testing or endorsements.

J endorsement

May tow a vehicle (GVWR) or a combination of vehicles (GCWR) of more than 10,000 pounds. The combination of vehicles may not exceed 70 feet in length or have a combined weight rating or a combined weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds. If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed 26,000 lbs., a Class A license is required.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tahoe Shark said:

Cory,

I just went through this in Nevada. The requirements are below, but I am sure you already know them.  The hardest part of the tests is the worrying about passing. They are really not that difficult. This is the way it was explained to me.

If you are towing a trailer more than 10,000 lbs gvrw ( that is a pretty light 5th wheel) you need at least a J endorsement. If that combination is over 26,001 lbs you need a Class A non commercial. It really makes no difference what your rigs actually weigh , it is the manufactures gvw figures that count. If the vehicle has air brakes you need the air brake endorsement. So since most of out HDT’s are at or over 26,000 lbs GVWR anyway you really cannot legally tow anything without a Class A with your truck.

For me I just did not want to worry about it and needed to get my Class A. I am very glad I did. If it was explained to me incorrectly I apologize for passing on the error.

Nevada Class A

May drive any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds; or

Any combination of vehicles not exceeding 70 feet in length with a gross combination weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less so long as the gross combination weight rating of the towed vehicles does not exceed the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle.

Class B

May drive any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or any vehicle which is towing another vehicle which does not have a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.

Class C

May drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of a vehicle for which a Class A or B driver’s license is required. May tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length and not to exceed a combined weight rating or a combined weight of more than 10,000 pounds without any additional testing or endorsements.

J endorsement

May tow a vehicle (GVWR) or a combination of vehicles (GCWR) of more than 10,000 pounds. The combination of vehicles may not exceed 70 feet in length or have a combined weight rating or a combined weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds. If the combination of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle(s) exceed 26,000 lbs., a Class A license is required.

Yep that is correct. I was going to get mine last summer but Covid got in the way. I did not want to be in a class with God knows who that came into contact with God knows what. I passed the three CDL written tests already, that was easy. I am going to southwest truck driving school here in Vegas. 

All of your information was perfect and greatly appreciated. 

How is all going for you. Have you been on any good trips? I get my second vaccine shot on March 9th and 10 days to take full effect will be on Friday March 19th. If you come through Vegas please let me know, have to grab a beer somewhere. 

Later Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher!😎

We have close to 5,000 miles on the truck since October when we bought it. All is good with the truck so far. We spent two weeks in Quartzsite with a bunch of HDT folks. Could not get home so had to park the truck, trailer and Rzr in Lone Pine for a week. They are currently home and waiting to get cleaned up. Going camping again this weekend.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

Good to hear it went well...

I am also in Vegas and have not gotten my Class A yet.  I have several NHP and metro friends who say they wouldn't bother me unless I was doing something like speeding or driving like a jacka$$.

Still it freaks me out a bit everytime I drive mine.

I declared the GVW at 25,999 when I registered it.  It's a factory single axle so it weights about 17,000 and even with the Bronco on the bed it is only 21,000

Dave

Las Vegas, NV

19 minutes ago, OMF said:

Good to hear it went well...

I am also in Vegas and have not gotten my Class A yet.  I have several NHP and metro friends who say they wouldn't bother me unless I was doing something like speeding or driving like a jacka$$.

Still it freaks me out a bit everytime I drive mine.

I declared the GVW at 25,999 when I registered it.  It's a factory single axle so it weights about 17,000 and even with the Bronco on the bed it is only 21,000

What part of Vegas Do you live in? I am in the Northwest part of the Valley. I live at Decatur and Farm, just south of the Shooting range. 

I used to have a 1987 Bronco II I loved it. 5 speed manual transmission and shift on the fly 4 Wheel drive. I had way to much fun in it until I rolled it over. I got hit T-Boned by a car that pulled onto the highway from a stop sign, it kind of ruined my day.

Later,

Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher.

43 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

What part of Vegas Do you live in? I am in the Northwest part of the Valley. I live at Decatur and Farm, just south of the Shooting range. 

I used to have a 1987 Bronco II I loved it. 5 speed manual transmission and shift on the fly 4 Wheel drive. I had way to much fun in it until I rolled it over. I got hit T-Boned by a car that pulled onto the highway from a stop sign, it kind of ruined my day.

Later,

Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher.

I am also northwest, Decatur and Lone Mountain area.

Not much Bronco left, although I still call it a Bronco lol

Dave

Las Vegas, NV

4 hours ago, OMF said:

In states that have a requirement for upgraded classifications of operators licenses, those requirements are most often based on vehicle ratings (the weights listed on the tags inside the door), not registered weight.  For example, my Kenworth weighs only about 22,300 lbs. even with the trailer's pin weight, and is registered accordingly.  But it's GVW rating is well over 26,000#, and the trailer's GVW rating is 21,000, so Texas requires me to have a Class A license anyway, as our requirements are the same as Nevada's.

You can be cited for operating out of classification if stopped, regardless of your registered weight.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin in Denver (Westminster) bought a full size Bronco the last year they made them.  1979?  All black with 351 and 5 spd. manual.  She still had the original clutch at over 200k mi.  Recently, her husband started re-furbishing it, and using it as his daily driver.  It got so bad with folks knocking on their door asking if they'd sell it, he cleaned out the garage to keep it out of sight.  Apparently, lots of folks would like to have one.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

56 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

My cousin in Denver (Westminster) bought a full size Bronco the last year they made them.  1979?  All black with 351 and 5 spd. manual.  She still had the original clutch at over 200k mi.  Recently, her husband started re-furbishing it, and using it as his daily driver.  It got so bad with folks knocking on their door asking if they'd sell it, he cleaned out the garage to keep it out of sight.  Apparently, lots of folks would like to have one.

There is just something about the way they look.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 1:45 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

I would love to find a vintage full size bronco to restore some day! I think it would make a great grocery getter!

I opened my mouth last weekend. Should have thought before I spoke. My Step Son now owns my 89 Bronco. But I did not drive it that much anymore. But sure have sellers remorse.

event.png